Hi,

I was just wondering - and my question is aimed at those of you who have already played PoE (backer beta or press release) - about good/bad choices of Attributes for making survivable characters.

Let's discuss two characters - firstly a close combat character, then a character who is mostly out of CC but close enough to the fray to be hit by enemy AoEs and similar.

How important is CON (with bonuses to health and Endurance) for you survival in both cases? Is it a small factor or a big factor?

The attributes can be divided into three groups depending on what they give defense bonuses for: MIG and CON gives more Fortitude, DEX and PER gives more Reflexes, and INT and RES gives more Will. How important is it to balance these three groups? Are different defenses more important for different characters (close combat, support, ...)?

PER and RES gives boni to Deflection. How important is this for defense?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

• 2 weeks later...

well, there are a few teleporting enemies, so not completly dumping con might be a good idea. My mage did fine with a 8-10 con I think (normal difficulty)

Might and Int are the most important stats if you want damage. Con is okay but you really only need 1-2 beefy tanks. maybe your main character doesn't have to be that.

I distributed my stats pretty well across the board and didn't really run into any severe issues, but I built my character up around interrupting enemy abilities and also getting a higher percentage of crits due to high accuracy numbers.  Might/Int is a waste as far as I'm concerned because far more of your damage output depends on intelligently attacking enemy weaknesses than in your character's nominal "pure" damage output.  Figure out what they're weak in and hit THAT.

Heck, my mediocre underdeveloped NPC wizard managed to one-shot a hideous boss enemy that was DEVASTATING my party up until then.

The primary reason to want any particular stat to be very high is so you can use those conversation options, to be honest.  Some of them are quite awesome.  I really liked having a good Perception/Intellect and there was a great moment from high Dex that I quite enjoyed.  High Might tends you toward playing as an aggressive bully.  I wish I'd gone for more Resolve, as there are a LOT of options that require a high Resolve from what I could tell.

Edited by PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

From a tanking perspective, Perception and Resolve are your main stats to get enough deflection. But it's important if you also take abilities to up deflection during leveling.

As said before, you either tend to focus on offensive stats and consider killing opponents before they kill you or defensive stats to take the hits with your followers doing the damages.

Mixing both gives more flexibility but less efficiency.

Your choice.

Even though I have under 10 Con for my ranged Rogue I played it safe by not dumping it outright. Though I wish I did dump it to 3. Also, I have Grieving Mother and Hiravius and all three aren't wearing any clothes. Eder has 16 con and rarely goes down. So I'm wondering if Con is really worth maxing. Playing on Hard. Cleaning up the battlefield. 

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Hi,

I was just wondering - and my question is aimed at those of you who have already played PoE (backer beta or press release) - about good/bad choices of Attributes for making survivable characters.

Let's discuss two characters - firstly a close combat character, then a character who is mostly out of CC but close enough to the fray to be hit by enemy AoEs and similar.

How important is CON (with bonuses to health and Endurance) for you survival in both cases? Is it a small factor or a big factor?

The attributes can be divided into three groups depending on what they give defense bonuses for: MIG and CON gives more Fortitude, DEX and PER gives more Reflexes, and INT and RES gives more Will. How important is it to balance these three groups? Are different defenses more important for different characters (close combat, support, ...)?

PER and RES gives boni to Deflection. How important is this for defense?

Not enough information for the first one.  The only distinction that matters in the game is tank or not tank.  If you are blocking enemy pathfinding to the rest of the party (the part the does damage), you want Per and Res.   If you aren't, you want might/int/dex or might/dex/int, depending a bit on class and talents you intend to tank.  No one needs Con.

The secondary defenses (ie, not Deflection). If they're good, that is a bonus, but it isn't a particularly important consideration for anyone.