Israeli Elections

BruceVC

Obama administration is gone in less 2 years.  They're at the point where long term they are almsot irrelevant. And, hardly anyone on the  world stage respects them.

Sure, you may be correct. But the next USA administration may also have issues with Netanyahu's stance on the two state solution. Remember its not just Democrats who have invested time and money into this idea, George W Bush also believed in this and attempted to  implemented it

So this is something that will frustrate people across the political divide in America 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Um.. Weren't the Republicans the ones who invited him to speak to them which start the storm? I bet with a Republican president, he'd probably back off his stance.  This is more of him likely being angered by Obama's willingness to suck up to Iran who is a direct threat to Isreal's safety. I'd also wager if the next President is Democrat they won't be  as weak willed as Obama was. Bill Clinton sure wasn't.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Um.. Weren't the Republicans the ones who invited him to speak to them which start the storm? I bet with a Republican president, he'd probably back off his stance.  This is more of him likely being angered by Obama's willingness to suck up to Iran who is a direct threat to Isreal's safety. I'd also wager if the next President is Democrat they won't be  as weak willed as Obama was. Bill Clinton sure wasn't.

Of course some Republicans won't care about Netanyahu's latest antics , but the reality is a failure to find a solution to the Israeli\Palestinian problem has geopolitical consequences that ultimately  reverberate  around the world..so it can't be just ignored. And the issue of Iran is also something that Republicans, if they win in 2016, will have to address and its highly unlikely there solution, despite the perception that exists, will involve military action 

So the whole issue of a reasonable political settlement between  Israel and the Palestinians is not going away and this will be an issue irrespective if the next US president is Republican..as it always have been

But I am still of the view you will start seeing a  very different stance from the USA towards the Netanyahu regime 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But I am still of the view you will start seeing a  very different stance from the USA towards the Netanyahu regime 

In the short term I can't imagine the relationship between Netanyahu and the Obama admin could get much worse. There has always been more than a little anti-Israel bias in Obamas dealings in the middle east. From what I was reading in The Atlantic & the Washington Post many Israeli voters don't believe the Obama admin is committed to their security. I can't really blame them.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sorry, my Kuwn friend, but things can always get worse.

Obama has already threatened to shoot down Israeli jets. I can't imagine how. Unless he decides to invade Israel. Now wouldn't THAT be a torch in the hay barn? :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Obama administration is gone in less 2 years.  They're at the point where long term they are almsot irrelevant. And, hardly anyone on the  world stage respects them.

For this, it's a positive that he has so little time left. After all, Obama doesn't have to worry about being elected again and is seeking to establish some sort of legacy to be remembered by rather than his his current reputation as a generally photogenic but otherwise apathetic spineless jelly. Maybe he'll even end up post-hoc justifying that ludicrous Nobel Prize he was awarded all those years ago.

In the short term I can't imagine the relationship between Netanyahu and the Obama admin could get much worse. There has always been more than a little anti-Israel bias in Obamas dealings in the middle east. From what I was reading in The Atlantic & the Washington Post many Israeli voters don't believe the Obama admin is committed to their security. I can't really blame them.

I hear you but I think this is an  unfair characterization of the efforts that the Obama administration  has put into Israel and Palestinians. Firstly the USA has always been committed to the security of Israel, meaning if Israel was attacked they would defend it ( not that this likely)

The point of contention is that the USA has never changed its view on what it expected from Israel, the two state solution was always what was deemed the best outcome for peace in the region

So its bizarre that some  Israelis would think Obama isn't committed to security..because the two state solution is in  fact the best way ensure security in the long term  :geek:

John Milton 

Considering that Obama's  lackies have threaten to murder Isrealis, teh Isrealies shouldn't trust him with their security.  Obama doesn't care if Isrealis are killed. He's proven that repeatedly.

Considering that Obama's  lackies have threaten to murder Isrealis, teh Isrealies shouldn't trust him with their security.  Obama doesn't care if Isrealis are killed. He's proven that repeatedly.

Volo what are you talking about...who are you referring to when you say " lackies " 

John Milton 

Read people's post. As some mentioned above, the Obama administration (ie. his lackies) have threatened to shoot down Isreali jets... what do you think usually happens when a jet is shot down? The pilot(s) die hence the Obama lackies have threatened to murder Isrealis. What kind of ally does that?!?

Kill, not murder. And if these jets are on the way to start a war and attempt to force US foreign policy, well, threatening to shoot them down isn't that bad.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Kill, not murder. And if these jets are on the way to start a war and attempt to force US foreign policy, well, threatening to shoot them down isn't that bad.

Indeed. Any competent U.S. president that has U.S. interests in mind first and foremost would tell Israel that they'd shoot down their planes if they flew over U.S. controlled airspace on their way to start a war. In particular one that has an almost certain potential to drag the U.S. into it, as well as to become WW3.

That said. It's likely nothing more than political theater BS that it was said. To rile up the pro-Israeli and anti-Obama zombies who are completely unaware of the U.S.S. Liberty and other things that go to show that Israel is anything but a good ally to the U.S..

• Like 1

Indeed. Any competent U.S. president that has U.S. interests in mind first and foremost would tell Israel that they'd shoot down their planes if they flew over U.S. controlled airspace on their way to start a war. In particular one that has an almost certain potential to drag the U.S. into it, as well as to become WW3.

That said. It's likely nothing more than political theater BS that it was said. To rile up the pro-Israeli and anti-Obama zombies who are completely unaware of the U.S.S. Liberty and other things that go to show that Israel is anything but a good ally to the U.S..

Yeah you guys are right, sorry Volo but shooting down the jets in these circumstances is justified 

John Milton 

"Kill, not murder. And if these jets are on the way to start a war and attempt to force US foreign policy, well, threatening to shoot them down isn't that bad."

It's murder. Plan and simple. Unless those jets were targeting Amerikans not an Amerikan 'enemy'. Don't try to spin it. Pure cold blooded murder.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Kill, not murder. And if these jets are on the way to start a war and attempt to force US foreign policy, well, threatening to shoot them down isn't that bad."

It's murder. Plan and simple. Unless those jets were targeting Amerikans not an Amerikan 'enemy'. Don't try to spin it. Pure cold blooded murder.

Nah, not murder, they are not helpless planes on a mission of peace and mercy. In this scenario they are little Israel trying to force US policy, while the US laughing as Iran fights Israel (though how I don't know) is a possibility, that won't work.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So that bluster was to get voters out. Not surprising.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's more likely that that bluster reflects his actual views. He's had plenty of time to act on a belief that there should be two states, and he hasn't done anything other than pay lip service to it so he gets invited to the right international shindigs and he gets more stall time. The only progress towards two states there will be with Bibi around is unilateral.

I hear you but I think this is an  unfair characterization of the efforts that the Obama administration  has put into Israel and Palestinians. Firstly the USA has always been committed to the security of Israel, meaning if Israel was attacked they would defend it ( not that this likely)

The point of contention is that the USA has never changed its view on what it expected from Israel, the two state solution was always what was deemed the best outcome for peace in the region

So its bizarre that some  Israelis would think Obama isn't committed to security..because the two state solution is in  fact the best way ensure security in the long term  :geek:

Israel is attacked almost every day in some way. just because it isn't by uniformed soldiers of a foreign nation does not make it less real. And if a free Palestinian state were to magically appear this very minute nothing will change. Even if the people of the region we willing to live side by side in peace (certainly not something in evidence now)  the governments of Iran, Egypt, and even Saudi Arabia (if the truth be told) are heavily invested in arming and antagonizing a Palestinian insurgency. That whole region is a mess.  

Thomas Sowell

The radical Zionists who run Israel do not have now, nor have they ever had any intention of allowing Palestine to exist as a state, nor have they ever had any intention of returning the land they took during the 6 day war, nor any they took prior to that.