Anyone tried making a rogue tank?

I remember playing around with the swashbuckler kit in BGII:EE and i tried to replicate something similar in PoE. So a made an pale Elf rogue with following stats. At lvl 5 i have 102 EDU/407 hlth. 12 MIG 17 CON 15 DEX 14 PER 10 INT 10 RES. I have 75 deflection and reflex, 50 fort, 38 will and DR 12. I have taken weapon and shield and cautious attack as talents, i also have bliding strike and riposte. 

From my limited testing the biggest weakness outside the low health pool is that there is no good way for a rogue to raise engagement limits like the figters defender stance, my defensive stats seems ok and she´s quite durable, but i dont think i will main tanking for a group anytime soon. However it might be a decent off tank. What do you guys think , could it be viable? (Im testing it at normal diff). Do you have any suggestions to improve the "build"?

Have you guys tried any off beats build, if so, i would like to hear them.

Edited by fruiteater

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." Plato

I remember playing around with the swashbuckler kit in BGII:EE and i tried to replicate something similar in PoE. So a made an pale Elf rogue with following stats. At lvl 5 i have 102 EDU/407 hlth. 12 MIG 17 CON 15 DEX 14 PER 10 INT 10 RES. I have 75 deflection and reflex, 50 fort, 38 will and DR 12. I have taken weapon and shield and cautious attack as talents, i also have bliding strike and riposte. 

From my limited testing the biggest weakness outside the low health pool is that there is no good way for a rogue to raise engagement limits like the figters defender stance, my defensive stats seems ok and she´s quite durable, but i dont think i will main tanking for a group anytime soon. However it might be a decent off tank. What do you guys think , could it be viable? (Im testing it at normal diff). Do you have any suggestions to improve the "build"?

Have you guys tried any off beats build, if so, i would like to hear them.

I've done something similar, but I made two of them. This way they both had a flanking buddy to get there sneak attack. Worked pretty well in my limited testing of the concept.

I tried it in 385, but Riposte wasn't working as it was supposed to so I couldn't -really- test it.

Also, you can raise engagement limit by 1 with "hold the line". It really should be +2 in order to be worth a talent.

I use my rogues as archers. I hate Rangers that have companions, so never tank my rogues. I tank my Chanters though. Like longsword and shield and heavy/medium armor+Buffs.

If someone has a explanation how to use rogues properly, in melee, please tell me. I have difficulty using them in PoE in melee combat, they just see to die and be of very little use, maybe its the abilites im using or lack of interest in rogues or experience using them, idk.

how does flanking work, exactly ? And what happens when you are engaged by more opponents then you can engage (the engagement limit thing).

I may have winged through the Beta a few times, but I wish to understand the mechanics before the release is live.  Thanks in advance if you can explain these, and also how it helps playing as a rogue. 

Also, if you can not use a rogue what class makes the best rogue/non-actual rogue? (Like ranger ? druid ? Cipher..chanter etc...or is there something Im missing here..)

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I use my rogues as archers. I hate Rangers that have companions, so never tank my rogues. I tank my Chanters though. Like longsword and shield and heavy/medium armor+Buffs.

If someone has a explanation how to use rogues properly, in melee, please tell me. I have difficulty using them in PoE in melee combat, they just see to die and be of very little use, maybe its the abilites im using or lack of interest in rogues or experience using them, idk.

how does flanking work, exactly ? And what happens when you are engaged by more opponents then you can engage (the engagement limit thing).

I may have winged through the Beta a few times, but I wish to understand the mechanics before the release is live.  Thanks in advance if you can explain these, and also how it helps playing as a rogue. 

Also, if you can not use a rogue what class makes the best rogue/non-actual rogue? (Like ranger ? druid ? Cipher..chanter etc...or is there something Im missing here..)

Being in melee, doesn't mean you are supposed to let everything whack on you. Let the party member with high deflection/defense get most of the enemies attention first and use the rogue to flank and debuff enemies. They require a lot of positioning to exploit debuff and sneak attacks. It is an active class, it needs to be moved around, positioned and have its actives used at the appropriate time.

Flanked require to have two characters (or more) attacking the same target but in opposite side (less or more). It gives a -10 deflection.

I'm not sure what you mean by rogue that is not a rogue? What is your requirement to be a rogue exactly? You can have any character with a stealth/mechanics focus, but only the rogue has a in-combat invisibility ability and super high burst damage potential.  Priest of Skaen has a talents that grant them sneak attacks (but suffer from low health) and Ranger has a talent that cause their pets to do sneak attacks as well (but will require more positioning to have the Ranger and pet flank enemies). 

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

yeah, I just never get off sneak attacks or flank the enemies much. they usually out number my front -liners. 

I always have just a single guy in front, and ranged guys making up the rest of the group. I really hate controlling a whole party, and prefer to just use a single character if I could.

Anyways, you can imagine how easy it is for my character to just die or be overwhelmed by the enemy.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...