Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just noticed that u can enchant clothing!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

tdphys

tdphys

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

If you limit "robes" to mean tough body length outer-garment, like these guys:

18877r.jpg

then I could see it being a step up from clothes.   If you're talking about a flimsy night-garment "robe", then, yeah sure call it clothes.

• Luckmann and Namutree like this

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1172 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

In a nutshell - I think it's fine if robes are different than common clothes.

I think we all already understood that, it doesn't mean you have to create poorly constructed strawmen instead of actual arguments.

Thematically and mechanically, the separation between robes and "clothes" makes no sense, nor does it serve a meaningful thematic or mechanical purpose.

Sigh - I think you already understand exactly what I am saying but I will spell it out for you once more since I have nothing better to do at the moment:

1) I think the reason clothes that can be enchanted have been added is to do away with the whole naked adventuring BS.

2) robes already existed with a minimal DR and weapon recovery penalty

3) (new option AFAIK) - Clothes have no DR nor penalty but can be enchanted (at a cost)

This gives you two separate choices - robes with a DR and penalty prior to spending any additional cost enchanting them or clothes without both which can be enchanted at a cost but (as far as we know) will never have a penalty.

I see nothing wrong with these choices and see no need to change robes from what they are now to make them the same as the new item that's been added -

the concept that robes all have both DR and penalty and clothes don't is no more ridiculous than naked adventuring in the first place (see #1) this "fix" is a way to mostly eliminate it by giving people a NEW non-penalty option that looks even cooler than the robes to begin with and certainly looks better than naked adventurers - (and will play out much better in guides etc than the naked adventurer as an option) without having to waste time and resources remaking every robe in the game and they opened another option by being able to add some already enchanted clothing if they wish.

It ain't rocket science it's just adding a new option and retaining the old robe and it's fine by me.

• Namutree likes this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So I'm not in BB, when you enchant clothes, is it possible at all to do so in a way I could actually create at least 1 party member to play without armor successfully, or is kinda gimmicky RP thing's that add a point of something here and there for like lore or something? Could I create something like immune to fire damage, and can I enchant things like cloaks too?

Voss

Voss

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts

It ain't rocket science it's just adding a new option and retaining the old robe and it's fine by me.

Apparently it is, because you've completely missed the points

1) Having a wizard put on a robe shouldn't be a punishment for the wizard

2) Some people want robes to be functional rather than bad, even if only for costume variety.

3) Robes are not any more restrictive and confining than several other outfits of the same period, nor do they use thread any more capable of turning sword blades than anything else.

4) The armor system is borked to the point that only specific character builds should bother with any sort of armor at all, and everyone else should lounge around in casual clothing, or be naked. Which given the setting and historical parallels, isn't as ridiculous as you seem to think it is.

So I'm not in BB, when you enchant clothes, is it possible at all to do so in a way I could actually create at least 1 party member to play without armor successfully, or is kinda gimmicky RP thing's that add a point of something here and there for like lore or something? Could I create something like immune to fire damage, and can I enchant things like cloaks too?

Currently you're better off with most of the party without armor.  The recovery multiplier is ridiculously awful, and the amount of DT is poor.

Edited by Voss, 13 March 2015 - 09:36 AM.

• Luckmann and Daulmakan like this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Awesome, since I actually would prefer to play without armor, and only periodically use it in the latter part of the game. Or, it would be cool to equip both clothes and armor and dictate which is viewable on the toon.

wanderon

wanderon

• Members
  • 1172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

2) Some people want robes to be functional rather than bad, even if only for costume variety.

3) Robes are not any more restrictive and confining than several other outfits of the same period, nor do they use thread any more capable of turning sword blades than anything else.

4) The armor system is borked to the point that only specific character builds should bother with any sort of armor at all, and everyone else should lounge around in casual clothing, or be naked. Which given the setting and historical parallels, isn't as ridiculous as you seem to think it is.

Why shouldn't it have the same sort of penalty as putting on any other armor? It's not like the robe isn't giving you something in return (just like other armors) and now you have an alternate choice if you don't want to deal with the penalty and still want to wear something enchantable.

As for there being any setting or historical parallels that would make adventuring (facing dangerous foes and trekking through towns and wilds comunicating with the local inhabitants etc.) naked a reasonable option from any roleplaying perspective LOL...  :no:

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

Why shouldn't it have the same sort of penalty as putting on any other armor? It's not like the robe isn't giving you something in return (just like other armors) and now you have an alternate choice if you don't want to deal with the penalty and still want to wear something enchantable.

As for there being any setting or historical parallels that would make adventuring (facing dangerous foes and trekking through towns and wilds comunicating with the local inhabitants etc.) naked a reasonable option from any roleplaying perspective LOL...  no.gif

Because
  • The distinction between robes and clothes makes no sense whatsoever thematically. Robes are literally just pieces of cloth sown together in a certain shape, no different from any two other articles of clothing in the game.
  • Robes serve absolutely no mechanical purpose. There is no situation where you will be wearing a robe, where you would not be better served wearing other articles of clothing that comes without penalty. It is a trap choice with no mechanical value or strategic worth.
Do we really need to draw you a road map?
  • Ineth likes this

Voss

Voss

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts

As for there being any setting or historical parallels that would make adventuring (facing dangerous foes and trekking through towns and wilds comunicating with the local inhabitants etc.) naked a reasonable option from any roleplaying perspective LOL...  :no:

http://en.wikipedia....udity_in_combat

Here you go. Meet the Celts not-actually-Glanfathans, honest. 

Would you like something on the Greek Olympics?

As for the first part- because the trivial amount of DR you get is absolutely worthless (given health and damage numbers) and the recovery penalty you get in exchange is borderline obscene.  It's like getting a penny for being punched in the face. 

• Veevoir likes this

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

As for there being any setting or historical parallels that would make adventuring (facing dangerous foes and trekking through towns and wilds comunicating with the local inhabitants etc.) naked a reasonable option from any roleplaying perspective LOL...  no.gif

http://en.wikipedia....udity_in_combat
Here you go. Meet the Celts not-actually-Glanfathans, honest. 
Would you like something on the Greek Olympics?

As for the first part- because the trivial amount of DR you get is absolutely worthless (given health and damage numbers) and the recovery penalty you get in exchange is borderline obscene.  It's like getting a penny for being punched in the face.

Inb4 a "Buh.. but.. muh penny"-argument. Some people really like to earn their shekels.

Edited by Luckmann, 13 March 2015 - 07:49 PM.

wanderon

wanderon

• Members
  • 1172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

@ Voss

Did you even read the information in the wiki?

Nudity in combat
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nudity in combat is the practice of entering combat without the use of clothing and armor. It is rarely practiced, however; apart from the social aspects of nudity, the combatant lacks even the basic protection of clothes, for instance when diving for cover or crawling. Also the combatant misses the practicality of hiding/carrying objects in pockets and attached to clothes.

As for the Olympics that is hardly similar to the functions a typical fantasy RPG party endures while adventuring - try again.

Edited by wanderon, 14 March 2015 - 03:49 AM.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

Cloth.jpg

Anyone that's actually found the Dyrwood clothing (#3) in the game? I'm starting to despair.

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

yes I have found a set of dyrwood clothing. Not exactly sure where, but I've not made it to Defiance bay yet. I think I found it in a crate or a dude on the ground, but can't remember which map. I also haven't done any of cad nua and my party is lvl 4. If that helps you.

EDIT: I actually don't know which one I have, I only saw one in my inventory. I'll get back to you if it's that one.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade, 31 March 2015 - 08:34 PM.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

Actually, I checked, and it's been replaced by this monstrosity:

Dyrwoodan-clothing-screenshot.jpg

To bad, because there seems to be nothing in the game even resembling noble's clothing.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

Actually, scratch that. They just look completely different depending on whether it's male or female, for some arbitrary and completely asinine reason. This brings back memories of Wasteland 2 again... =_=

Teh womyn get at least 70% fancier clothing. Especially cloth_outfit_dyrwoodan_vest stands out as being "filthy open-chest field hand" for men and "upper-class merchant-lady" or "clan matriarch" for women.

Edited by Luckmann, 31 March 2015 - 08:47 PM.

• Ineth and Namutree like this

Moira

Moira

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There are actually two different (by appearance; the name is the same) sets of Dyrwoodan Clothing in the game. I can't remember where I picked these up, unfortunately, but I'm guessing somewhere in Defiance Bay.

dyrwood.jpg

Shdy314

Shdy314

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes and the Vailian clothing on women looks fashionable as hell while on men it looks like some sort of hilarious disgusting suit.

Moira

Moira

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cloth.jpg

Does anyone have a "clothing collection" pic like this for male looks?

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts
I was going to make one, with all the appropriate titles of the items and the codes for each, but I didn't have time and now I'm in Germany until Monday.

Unless someone else does it, I'll get one up on Tueday or so.

Some of them are up as pictures on the Wiki.
  • Moira likes this

Kelth

Kelth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
You can also have the cloth with this command line: AddItem Cloth_Outfit_Dyrwoodan(Clone) 1

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts
That just means you are producing a clone item, it is still based on the cloth_outfit_dyrwoodan base item.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users