Yo ushas - I think I found why DR values are borked

Sensuki

Question

qDANjIr.jpg

Here is a not quite complete version of Bester's PE Unity Editor for Unity 4.6.1p2 - look at the DR, it's in percentages.

This is Hide Armor

DR 5

Pierce and Freeze DR is 125% = 6.25

P9bqgqC.jpg

Combat log - 6.3 DR (obviously rounded up from 6.25)

CAN YOU SAY

synonSr.png

13 answers to this question

This also means that Fine and Exceptional quality enchantments do not give a flat +2, and possibly bonus DR also affecting the base values (although I haven't tested that)

Plate Armor DR is 12, Pierce and Slash DR is 125% = 15

Fine Plate Armor is 14, Pierce and Slash DR of that would be 17.5, not 17

Ha you made a Crit hit to the rounding daemon mystery.

So now, if I understand the armors with quality enchantments, it may work like this:

1. It looks like combat log and character screen info is getting the base item numbers and adds flat +2/4/6 bonus as stated  in the corresponding enchantment desctiption.

For base Hide, 125% of the base DR for Pierce and Freeze, and 50% of base in Corrode DR:
                      Hide armor DR:  5.0 (Pierce    6.25, Freeze    6.25, Corrode 2.5)
             Fine Hide armor DR:  7.0 (Pierce    8.25, Freeze    8.25, Corrode 4.5) -> on char screen: ( 8, 8,5)
Exceptional Hide armor DR:  9.0 (Pierce 10.25, Freeze 10.25, Corrode 6.5) -> on char screen: (10,10,7)
        Superb Hide armor DR:11.0 (Pierce 12.25, Freeze 12.25, Corrode 8.5)

2. However, the item description page estimation is diffrerent. Perhaps it adds +2 to the base DR, because those are always right. Then it percentualy estimates individual subtype DRs from the new quality base value:)

For base Hide armor, 125% of the base DR for Pierce and Freeze, and 50% of base in Corrode DR:
                      Hide armor DR:   5.0 (Pierce   6.25, Freeze   6.25, Corrode 2.5)
             Fine Hide armor DR:   7.0 (Pierce   8.75, Freeze   8.75, Corrode 3.5) -> in Item desc.: ( 9, 9,4)
Exceptional Hide armor DR:   9.0 (Pierce 11.25, Freeze 11.25, Corrode 4.5) -> in Item desc.: (11,11,5)
        Superb Hide armor DR:11.0 (Pierce 13.75, Freeze 13.75, Corrode 5.5)

Note, this can explain why there is different behavior for smaller DRs than the higher ones, and why is the difference in case of high base DR values even bigger... 

Also, nice to see another rounding level;)

Well done, Sensuki!

Now I fear what is intended behaviour...

why does the exact formula bother u so? It's obvious that every fusking programmer indaworld knows about float -> int and vise versa casting.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

The formula doesn't bother me - it's just that the behavior was never explained and is not documented or shown by the UI either. For a game that is supposed to focus on simplified/unified rules - stuff like this just makes it more inaccessible IMO.

It's a non-issue for me it just means more mathcraft ;)

Edited by Sensuki

in the end it's not about numbers, it's more about

Wait a minute. Those two different quality enchantment behaviors cannot coexist.

What was the question he answered to?

Btw. when we are assuming programmers know iso standards and are aware of precision conversion issues, why we also cannot assume players attended an elementary school and are aware of decimal numbers?

Edited by ushas

Btw. when we are assuming programmers know iso standards and are aware of precision conversion issues, why we also cannot assume players attended an elementary school and are aware of decimal numbers?

Oh, really? I bet you'll have precision issues rounding up the percenage of the "elementary" school graduates who are aware of what "decimal" means.

Edited by mrmonocle

I asked about the percentage scaling of base DR. There is another bug I assume as well?

Thanks.

Yes, there are different values of percentualy scaled DRs (eg. character sheet X armor description). The higher the base DR of a quality armor, the higher the difference. I wrongly assumed its source.

Now when you managed to dig out the real armor numbers used in game underneath, it looks like there are two different calculations done -- one adds the quality bonus to all DRs, the second adds the bonus only to the base DR and then uses the percentage scaling for the rest DRs using this new base value. But that's just a speculation using the armor you show.

Oh, really? I bet you'll have precision issues rounding up the percenage of the "elementary" school graduates who are aware of what "decimal" means.

one doesn't need to know the word to use it's meaning. Hm, look if that was accidentally perceived as a personal attack, I apologize. Really no harm intended;)

Just, your post reminded me that there is trust and expectations between people. Sometimes professionals, while trying to simplify communication, unintentionally are making it harder to understand. This game is doing a really good job in communication and is trying to provide all the info. Though admirable, it's work in progress. For example, it's confusing to me whether intended is to show whole numbers as much as possible, or to go more open route? As now it's a mixed bag. In this case it took the asset editor made by Bester, probably pro version of Unity and Sensuki with free time to dig the numbers the game uses (eg. in damage calculations). But it's still a great that this is possible. :thumbsup:

Edited by ushas

Yeah some of the bonuses are like 150%, some are 125% etc

In this case it took the asset editor made by Bester, probably pro version of Unity and Sensuki with free time to dig the numbers the game uses (eg. in damage calculations).

Pretty much. Imagine where we'd be if none of that happened :p

Edited by Sensuki