Enchanting and Attribute Requirements

Hello there!

First of all, since this is my first post here (I thinks): Thank you for making this game (!!!)! Been waiting a long time for this! I think I'm actually missing the vocabulary to express how much I am looking forward to the release of this game, hence the forrest of !

Now, to my questions. I've been searching the forum, Google and Youtube, but I'm not very good at this and didn't find the answer I was looking for. I did find some stuff, like what Darran Monahan posted in update #58, but that was a long time ago and some of it changed drastically (removal of durability, for example), and what I actually want to know wasn't even mentioned there. I also dont have access to the BB, so I can't test it out myself. But enough of excuses, here comes the questioning:

1. How do I obtain recipes for enchanting?
  2. What is the limit of enchants on a single item? 
  3. Are there still enchants that raise Attributes (Might, Dex,...)? - Pretty sure there are, but just to be on the safe side :>
  4. If yes, do these enchants count towards the attribute requirement in dialogues?
  5. Does the buff you get from resting in a specific location count towards that requirement?
  6. would those two stack?
  7. Can I only enchant armor and weapons, or also cloaks, rings, gloves and helmets?
  8. Do I still need a specific location (lab, smithy) to do those enchants?
  9. BONUS (spoilerish, of sorts): Whats the highest attribute check in the game?

That about sums it up... for now. Since the release is about a month away and usually nothing changes much anymore (cough"polishing"cough), I am basically looking for a little guide on crafting. I would like to know more about this because it might influence my character creation. For my first playthrough, I am going to create a Rogue, and I aim to pass all Dexterity and Perception checks in dialogue. Or at least almost all (or at the very least one of either two). And I was wondering how many points i will have to spend for that, becuase I dont want to go too low with the other attributes for combats sake. I.e. if i am able to increase my Perception by 2 and it counts towards the dialogue check, I will go for less perception in the character creation and, lets say, for more Resilience or Might. If it doesnt, but it will still increase my combat effectiveness, I would go for more Perception and less of the others and then simply enchant with Res/Might.

I think by now it's pretty clear what I mean, so I'm just going to end my post here and hope I will get some decent answers. Thanks in advance for any effort made to clarify, and sorry for typos and wrong words :)

Only items with armor components can be enchanted, so helms/hats/cloaks are not part of that, just clothing and armor.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&pagenumber=341&perpage=40#post441834681

You can have one Quality enchantment (Fine, Exceptional, Superb or the various Accurate and Damaging mods) and IIRC, three other enchantments.  I think all enchantment recipes are acquired through advancement, but some of them require ingredients that you can only get in a very limited number of places.  You can overwrite Quality enchantments, but other enchantment types are permanent.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&pagenumber=326&perpage=40#post441234040

SO that's that. As to stacking,

There's a glossary entry for Stacking, but the essential information is that there are four broad categories of bonuses: passive, active/modal, equipment, and weapons/shields.

Passive almost always comes from things like Abilities and Talents that you don't need to activate.  All passive bonuses stack.

Active/modal abilities come from spells, Abilities, Talents, consumable items (potions, food), and resting bonuses that are activated and/or have a duration to them.  The highest bonus from this group is applied.  All others are suppressed.

Equipment is everything you don't put in your hand slots.  Armor, hats, gloves, belts, books, cloaks/amulets, etc.  The highest bonus from this group is applied.  All others are suppressed.

Weapons/shields are just weapons and shields.  All of these bonuses stack.

Food and inn bonuses are useful for long-term Attribute checks and Rite scrolls can be used for long-term Skill bonuses.

I think that answers most of your questions. Long and short is you can get between +2 and +4 to any given stat by stacking enchantments and long-term Inn buffs but anything more than that is going to be pretty difficult. 

I don't think anybody knows what the highest check is int he game but the backer beta contains a few around 16+.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Active/modal abilities come from spells, Abilities, Talents, consumable items (potions, food), and resting bonuses that are activated and/or have a duration to them.  The highest bonus from this group is applied.  All others are suppressed

So does this mean that a chanter's phrases can become redundant if you activate abilities which overlap? For instance if your deflection buff phrase is active but your fighter activates its personal deflection buff they won't stack but rather one will become useless? And what happens if a barbarian activates a -accuracy +damage buff and a chanter has active a +accuracy phrase, is the resultant accuracy modification for the barbarian the single chanter buff (because it's higher) or the debuff and the buff added together?

Active/modal abilities come from spells, Abilities, Talents, consumable items (potions, food), and resting bonuses that are activated and/or have a duration to them.  The highest bonus from this group is applied.  All others are suppressed

So does this mean that a chanter's phrases can become redundant if you activate abilities which overlap? For instance if your deflection buff phrase is active but your fighter activates its personal deflection buff they won't stack but rather one will become useless? And what happens if a barbarian activates a -accuracy +damage buff and a chanter has active a +accuracy phrase, is the resultant accuracy modification for the barbarian the single chanter buff (because it's higher) or the debuff and the buff added together?

Yes, phrases and other modal buffs can become irrelevant if something else gives the same buff but bigger. On the other hand, if you build your party's skills right you can avoid this problem pretty easily; for example, if the chanter and the paladin both do a Damage Resist buff only the strongest will stack, but if the chanter does enemy damage debuff and the paladin does party buff, the party will get both bonuses. 

With paladin auras there's a separate issue which is that their AoE range is VERY short so they won't help your whole party. Maybe that changes if the Paladin gets super encouraged, not sure.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...