Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

For me personally i'd rather see a sequel to Dredd than a dozen more Marvel films.

I can't disagree.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For me personally i'd rather see a sequel to Dredd than a dozen more Marvel films.

The Karl Urban one, right?

That was the only Dredd movie ever made.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Man, it is going to be really awkward for Nonek to come back to this thread if he happens to be fan of the Stallone one.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Man, it is going to be really awkward for Nonek to come back to this thread if he happens to be fan of the Stallone one.

Stallone never was in a Dredd film.

8df1f7d5c773f2826f91c3a8395c7a0048bf02e6

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 3

There were two good points in the Stallone film for me, an inclusion of Hammerstein from the ABC warrior, and the cinematography which was stunning at times. Apart from those it was utter dreck. The Karl Urban film however I would say was not just good for a comic book movie, like the recent Marvel films, but a very good piece of art in its own right. I'd compare it with the first Christopher Reeve Superman in this respect, though obviously stylistically they're worlds apart, even with Supermans varied styles for Krypton/Smallville/Metropolis.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Thor 2 isn't really neccesary, but Captain America 2 is fantastic.

Thor 2 sucked compared to the first one, as for Captain America both were kind of ok. Guess you need to be an American to dig captain America.

I'm Canadian and really enjoyed both Cap movies. Cap 2 more though obviously.

I dug Thor 2, but moreso for the Asgard stuff. The director pulling back on the Kirby alien styling for Asgard and injecting some more Viking stuff was cool. Loved the flying longships, adn the subtle introduction of Loki's sorcery. Malekith was lame though. Gotta wonder if it would have been any better had Mads Mikkelsen remained in the role.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The second one doesn't feel that way to me. In fact, that entire movie can be summed up with "America sure ain't what it used to be" with allegorical criticism of corrupt politicians, America's status as "world police", the fall of SHIELD as analogue to the hidden evil in the CIA and NSA and it even pokes a stick at drone warfare on steroids.

But in the middle of it all there shines a true American hero who never falters from his ideals, so all of that is ok, because if the system does come crashing down he will be there to save us.

As I said, most of marvels movies are like that and captain America even more so, because he is...well captain America.

This is my, probably colored, opinion.

I feel like it was sort of the Ideal vs the Reality of American politics and the American dream/sense of justice. El Capitan represents what we're taught in schools and how we should act towards one another, while Fury/Shield are how we ACTUALLY act in situations where we are threatened. The best example of this is when they unveil Project Insight and get into a discussion of what it actually means to be "protecting" people.

You could probably also put it towards the Justice system too, where police want a system where they can just arrest people because "I know he did it! (or is going to do it!)" Instead of the idea that people are defended to the very end to ensure the guilty person isn't put in prison.

Although the movie came out around the time of Edward Snowden and the NSA bruhaha, so it seemed more like a commentary on the NSA and it's internal spying programs etc.

Thor Dark World is basically a reaction to how popular Loki was/is. It felt like they made up the movie around the idea of "People want to see Thor and Loki doing... something. The Villain doesn't matter!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Not movies I've seen, but I recently found a podcast from Paul Scheer called "how did this get made". Probably the best one's I've found  from the cast are him and his friends picking apart Birdemic with Weird Al and Whitney Moore (Whitney being the lead girl in Birdemic). The other one is Punisher War Zone, with the Director of that flick and Patton Oswald.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-made/

Punisher: War Zone was the best Punisher film. I don't understand the hate.

• Like 2

Devastatorsig.jpg

Punisher: War Zone was the best Punisher film. I don't understand the hate.

Because it was so badly hyped and the reviewers didn't take it as the B-movie it was designed to be. The podcast with the Director is enlightening about how the movie got shot in the foot from the get go. Like a lot of the kills and various other things she shot in the movie are straight from the comic... but the reviewers didn't know it so they threw out the bad reviews for that sort of reason.

The second one doesn't feel that way to me. In fact, that entire movie can be summed up with "America sure ain't what it used to be" with allegorical criticism of corrupt politicians, America's status as "world police", the fall of SHIELD as analogue to the hidden evil in the CIA and NSA and it even pokes a stick at drone warfare on steroids.

The trope of a 'true' patriot disillusioned by the transformation of that which he loves is fairly common.

In this instance (i.e. The Winter Soldier) it gives Hollywood liberals the chance to flag wave and stick it to the man! In Hollywood, you never need to break some eggs in order to make your omelette.

sonsofgygax.JPG

There were two good points in the Stallone film for me, an inclusion of Hammerstein from the ABC warrior, and the cinematography which was stunning at times. Apart from those it was utter dreck. The Karl Urban film however I would say was not just good for a comic book movie, like the recent Marvel films, but a very good piece of art in its own right. I'd compare it with the first Christopher Reeve Superman in this respect, though obviously stylistically they're worlds apart, even with Supermans varied styles for Krypton/Smallville/Metropolis.

Dredd blowing up a Yuppie's car for being poorly-parked was a highlight for me.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Stallone film kind of caught the zany wackiness approach and aesthetics of the Dredd comics, so I have to recognise it for that. Even if so much else was wrong.

The Urban version nailed the serious side of it, and was an all-around better done version. Unfortunately, it lost too much money and is unlikely to be followed up on - at least in the cinema and tv world. I had heard they were going to do a "sequel" style story, but as a short comic run. No idea how far that went ahead.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Age of Ultron. Loved it. They already announced a directors cut on blu-ray as Whedon was forced to cut it for time which lead to a couple less than spectacular plot points, but overall I really enjoyed it. The Hulk/Black Widow stuff bugged be because Betty exists in the MCU and they just kind of ignored her

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ha ha Age of Ultron was filmed at an old police college in NW London. They kept it a pretty big secret. A friend of mine from up that way did report helicopter gunships strafing the Northern Line last year, though.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Isn't Katana with the Birds of Prey?

And the Outsiders.

Depending on what continuity you're talking about.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think Steven Segal stole John Travolta's hairpiece.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts