Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Kickstarter Thread

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5115 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000

Previous topic: http://forums.obsidi...starter-thread/

I'm going to use PayPal. I won't pay directly via Kickstarter.

I can't pay directly via Kickstarter. They switched to some new system which doesn't take Discover (which is what I used to pay via Amazon) at all and my VISA is also declined (it has never failed me anywhere else before). I don't understand why they can't use a normal payment system.

I have same problem and I have my prejudices against their new service provider. But this change in their service means that I will not fund anymore projects via KS at least until their service again accepts my credit cards.

daveyd

daveyd

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

There's an Indiegogo campaign that just launched for a post-apocalyptic CRPG (tentatively) called Icy.   There's lots of emphasis on choice and consequence and focus on the survival aspect of the genre.   There's an early bird tier for a digital copy of the game at only $5.   Game is apparently almost complete and the funds will just go towards additional polishing and testing.  

Endrosz

Endrosz

Silent Prospector of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Steam:endrosz

The pitch video is brilliant. "Save an animal, eat a friend!" :D And yes, the game looks quite complete. Plus apparently they're from Italy, Europe. I pledged.

• daveyd likes this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2841 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Looks interesting enough. 

Endrosz

Endrosz

• Members
  • 487 posts

Icy is about half funded (which isn't saying a lot with a $2500 target, still...), and they put out an update, and in their FAQ there's something that must quoted for hilariousness. :)

I don’t want to be racist, but you are an Italian team of developers and I don’t want my money to finance any criminal organization. How can we trust you?

If we had our hands in business like drugs dealing, prostitution or weapons smuggling, we could have asked for money from our godfather. Sadly we have no connections with the local organized crime, so we settled for an Indiegogo campaign.

Crowdfunding: second best choice after organized crime at funding a game. Publishers are much further down the list.

Edited by Endrosz, 25 February 2015 - 06:21 AM.

• Leferd, ShadySands, Bryy and 3 others like this

daveyd

daveyd

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

While the game seems to have a pretty serious tone, it's great to see that the developer's have a sense of humor.  :) Perhaps they'll find ways to incorporate some dark humor into the game.

Looks like their campaign is going pretty well, despite being on Indiegogo.  Whether or not you decide to back "Icy", you can also help out the developer's by voting for the game on Steam Greenlight and GOG wishlist.

Edited by daveyd, 25 February 2015 - 08:41 AM.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4071 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oddly enough, Kickstarter has been down for like 20 minutes now over here. I can imagine all the crying and moaning for projects on the final stretch. On a Kickstarter every lost minute could spell lost money.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3009 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

https://www.kickstar...lk-rose-murders

New retro-looking adventure game set in in ancient China. This one looks pretty promising, with some cool gameplay elements to it. Hope it makes it! I'm in for the early bird.

• daveyd likes this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Icy is about half funded (which isn't saying a lot with a $2500 target, still...), and they put out an update, and in their FAQ there's something that must quoted for hilariousness. :)

I don’t want to be racist, but you are an Italian team of developers and I don’t want my money to finance any criminal organization. How can we trust you?

If we had our hands in business like drugs dealing, prostitution or weapons smuggling, we could have asked for money from our godfather. Sadly we have no connections with the local organized crime, so we settled for an Indiegogo campaign.

Crowdfunding: second best choice after organized crime at funding a game. Publishers are much further down the list.

Damn, son.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4540 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
https://www.kickstar...k-in-the-groove

The return of Toe-Jam and Earl!

Happy to see the idea returns to the original games' concepts; I really felt the sequels didn't capture that same magic the first one had.

Endrosz

Endrosz

• Members
  • 487 posts

Icy has a new gameplay video out showcasing survival mechanics; they're 200% funded.

• daveyd likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8473 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Bit of a sad update from the JA:F team, er, person:

Dear backers,

First up sorry for the long "no news" situation. There hasn't been anything to report, so that's why.

Mixed bag of news today, so here we go! Not everyone will like this, but so be it.

Physical Goods

Most of you are awaiting this, and there is no big change here. We have some of the things produced as you can see on the attached photo (there is more than this, I just didnt want to move boxes around). Primarily lots of t-shirts, posters, dog tags. There is still lots of stuff being produced and still todo.

2afa1420c547d604d3de8e57276b8e5b_origina

So no real news here. We need to have everything ready, produced, shipped to us and then package it all. Doing it in pieces is way too cumbersome and expensive. We might be able to get the DVDs out to DVD only backers (especially in the US), but lets see.

No real ETA here, and I'll let you know about it when we are ready to package the goods and ship out. But its not around the corner. Will still take weeks.

Team Disbanded / Slow Communication

Big part of the slow communication and lack of progress is, that the JAF team is no more. Everyone is gone and there is me left to handle it all. Both taking over tasks from the guys who left as well as running the rest of the company.

And people have not just been moved over to other projects as some people say. They are gone gone, not to return. Very sad, but that's just the financial reality of JAF.

I try to answer all emails sent directly to me, but I simply cannot find time in the day to read+answer posts on the forums. Sorry - but that's just how it is.

Future Development on JAF

Without a team, there is also no further development on the game.

We would have liked nothing more than to continue on for ages, but no salaries lead to no people lead to no development.

We will work on a quick bug fix release in the upcoming weeks in between other work, and then that is the final version from our hands no matter what.

That bugfix will take care of (right now at least) 2 known issues that we want to fix

• female mercs in prone after loading
  • a crash bug in the pathfinder

In my spare time sometime in the future I will send over as much of the requested modding stuff to Shanga. But my priority lies with physical goods first.

From the start of this project we wanted to get the modding part of the community running with as many possibilities as possible. And that is still everyone's goal to see the awesome stuff that can be done in the future by the talent out there.

Best

Thomas Lund

Sole survivor of the JAF team, signing off

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8473 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In a sudden fit, I pledged Orion Trail in the final hours.

I also jumped on Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander, which looks much better than it sounds.

• ShadySands likes this

Serrano

Serrano

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1156 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Is JA:Flashback pretty playable at the moment or will this leave it a broken mess? I haven't had a chance to try my copy yet.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8473 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is JA:Flashback pretty playable at the moment or will this leave it a broken mess? I haven't had a chance to try my copy yet.

I played it a bit, and I think Keyrock finished it awhile back.  It is stable enough to play through, I believe.  It still didn't really hook me, but at least they completed the game before they shuttered the doors.

• Serrano likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2305 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In a sudden fit, I pledged Orion Trail in the final hours.

I also jumped on Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander, which looks much better than it sounds.

Also backed Orion Trail

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6639 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

It's perfectly playable.  The females starting out prone bug is annoying but can be worked around.  Outside of that, I don't recall encountering much in the way of issues.  I had quite a bit of fun with the game.  It's not up to JA2 quality, but it's a decent tactical game, IMHO.

• Hurlshot and Serrano like this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2962 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer

Where did Seven Dragon Saga thread disappeared :(   ?

https://www.kickstar...ations-interact

mute688

mute688

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Where did Seven Dragon Saga thread disappeared :(   ?

https://www.kickstar...ations-interact

Moved to "Way off Topic" for some obscure reason,

http://forums.obsidi...ractive-tsi-ks/

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hey, Joshua, I'm approving your thread. Generally, you can't advertise on these forums, but this doesn't look really any different than other kickstarter threads we see. I also looked at sillykidgames, but it appears there's only a placeholder pic. So, let me first off wish you luck in your kickstarter. I'm approving your post and assuming that it's all on the up and up (not a bot, legitimate designer, etc.). However, I'm the low man on the totem pole in these parts, so one of the other mods might overrule me, with my blessings of course.

Meanwhile, I don't want you to feel unwelcome. The more people designing games, the better. Drop back in and show us some artwork and kibitz with folks. Nothing proves you're not a bot better than friendly banter and heated debate!
  • Fionavar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users