Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer Beta Build 435 is Live!

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Nakia

Nakia

Rogue of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:nakiarogue
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am inclined to agree with Bazy.  It may be toolate to change the game now but hopefully OE will rethink it for a patch, DLC or the Expansion.  I personally am also not happy with the fact that there is no way to heal health without resting.  If one party member is low in health it means you need to rest.  Surely at least some health could be recovered via potions, triage, some way.

• kingcrowley6969 and Quantics like this

Bazy

Bazy

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I personally am also not happy with the fact that there is no way to heal health without resting.  If one party member is low in health it means you need to rest.  Surely at least some health could be recovered via potions, triage, some way.

There are 2 utility talents that do this. 

Wound Binding: 80 ish health on user

Field Triage: 40 ish health on party member

So theoretically you could have 720 Health restore per rest across your party or 320 focus on a single character. 

These values are adjusted by Might and Intelligence.

Edited by Bazy, 05 February 2015 - 03:33 AM.

• Nakia likes this

Shevek

Shevek

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1164 posts
Everything should work out of combat. There are several key modals and abilities that do not. Whether or not these abilities are in the minority is irrelevant.
  • Luckmann, AndreaColombo and Clean&Clear like this

Clean&Clear

Clean&Clear

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Combat only topic:

Let's make a separate thread about this. It's quite an easy to implement change (I guess) with a huge impact on gameplay, so it's worthwhile to try and advocate changing this before release. Or at least in a patch.

Edited by Clean&Clear, 05 February 2015 - 06:53 AM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

Combat only topic:

Let's make a separate thread about this. It's quite an easy to implement change (I guess) with a huge impact on gameplay, so it's worthwhile to try and advocate changing this before release. Or at least in a patch.

It's extremely fast to do. If it doesn't make release, it'll never be changed, because it'd muck with the key mechanics and base assumptions that you usually don't want to change post-release.

As far as changing it goes, it takes, like, 10 minutes. It's easy to do through a mod, but at that point, it's pretty much just cheating, and it may end up screwing with things down the line. If it's not changed by release, it's because they don't want to change it, for some unfathomable reason.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Clean&Clear—If you open a thread dedicated to the subject I'll chime in to support the removal of "combat only".

Bazy

Bazy

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Everything should work out of combat. There are several key modals and abilities that do not. Whether or not these abilities are in the minority is irrelevant.

The only one I know of is the pally aura. 

I do agree that everything should work out of combat. I see the reasoning for it (pre-buff cheesing) but I really don't like restrictions on player choice.

• Luckmann and Clean&Clear like this

BlueLion

BlueLion

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts

My thinking is they restrict it to force you to use 'food' etc for pre-buffing. I'm inclined to agree the majority here and say let everything be usable out of combat. Personally, I wouldn't use anything combat related out of combat but atleast that would be my choice.

• Luckmann and AndreaColombo like this

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

It's just not that beneficial to buff outside of combat in PoE anyway. Even under the best of circumstances, it gives you a momentary boost while eating up the same amount of Per Day abilities anyway, at the added cost of expending the time of your quite limited buffs. There is simply no reason for "Combat Only" to exist in regards to buffing, it's a non-argument.

The only real argument I've seen so far (not raised in this thread) is that the Cipher supposedly has/had a power (the name escapes me at the moment) that charmed enemies, and it could be abused in such a way that the Cipher initiated combat by charming an opponent, and then the other opponents swarmed it and ignored the Cipher, so the Cipher could just stand there well away from the others and laugh, using enemies to tank eachother from the get-go.

But if that's the argument brought forth, I'd like to ask why the hell they don't make the AI smarter than that. They should aggro you from beyond the fog of war and hesitate to hit their own people to begin with. The average opponent's propensity for violence against one of their own that had been charmed always struck me as hilarious(ly bad) in the IE games already, so fix that quick-like, instead.

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 440 posts

Most of the issues with the combat only flag is restoring the game state after a save/load is performed. As you probably have noticed, we've had a fair share of issues with save/load over the course of the Backer Beta. Since you can't save in combat, we don't need to restore combat only abilities after a load. There are a few balance reasons, but most of those are minor compared to the save issues. We are going to evaluate combat only stuff moving forward (Paladin auras have been discussed), but I can't promise any changes right now. 

• gogocactus likes this

BlueLion

BlueLion

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts

So, to clarify, the combat only abilities are there because the programming side is too tricky for the time available?

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 440 posts

So, to clarify, the combat only abilities are there because the programming side is too tricky for the time available?

Yeah, pretty much. There are some other reasons too - like solving the issue with per encounter abilities outside of combat. 

• gogocactus likes this

BlueLion

BlueLion

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts

Yeah, pretty much. There are some other reasons too - like solving the issue with per encounter abilities outside of combat. 

Okay, thanks for that. Seems like you guys agree with us and its more an issue with how best to integrate.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Adam,

If it is mostly a matter of time, is there any chance a post-release patch could get rid of combat-only?
  • Marky likes this

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 440 posts

Adam,

If it is mostly a matter of time, is there any chance a post-release patch could get rid of combat-only?

Possibly on some abilities! Can't say we will remove it completely, because I know a few things will be very difficult to get working proper. 

• AndreaColombo and Marky like this

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 440 posts

Also summoned creatures will only be available in combat, and I don't see us changing it anytime soon. We did this to solve a number of design and programming problems. 

• gogocactus likes this

Shepyrd

Shepyrd

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Shepyrd
  • Kickstarter Backer

Keep up the good work folks. Looking forward to release day.

gnoemli

gnoemli

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts

Hy Adam, sorry for nagging again, but it can't be a programming problem to allow shapeshift of the druid to work outside of battle?... at least i don't see where the Problem would be, as shapeshift only does minor attribute changes to the character and got a timelimit (for what reason ever)...

so if i get it right: most problems with combat only came from the decissions with per rest and per encounter abilitys, and these "problems" came from the decission of how to handle rest/sleep (camping supplies limit)???

Edited by gnoemli, 06 February 2015 - 01:02 AM.

Clean&Clear

Clean&Clear

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Combat only: I started a thread here: http://forums.obsidi...-and-solutions/, please continue discussing this there.

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is this really the last patch before live? I wonder how their white board looks like. Are you guys making a dent in the bug reports? Do you give your staff a day to ever work on one thing in game they want to vs stuff they are told to do? I almost got a job at 38 studios right before they went bankrupt and that was one of the things they did there that was really great everyone was talking about. Great work so far, and really thanks for staying in the loop with us and listening to feedback and we can tell you're working hard. Here's wishing everyone many productive days. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users