Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Build Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
492 replies to this topic

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6382 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:LiberachiX

Just got my GTX 970, should be good with the Oculus >75 fps requirement

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8439 posts

Why 970?

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

3.5GB

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6382 posts
I heard it's really close to 980 performance, for $200 less, and it's superclocked version. Oculus currently doesn't need more than 3.5GB vram
  • Sarex likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1814 posts

Why 970?

Why not? Even with the 0.5 gb of separate memory (that hasn't been proven to affect anything) it's still a great card. The 980 is way overpriced.

Edited by Sarex, 18 March 2015 - 11:09 AM.

• AwesomeOcelot likes this

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

And here I thought Bokishi might get the Titan X - getting wiser with the years? ;)

(that hasn't been proven to affect anything)
Only in your opinion.

Edited by samm, 18 March 2015 - 11:37 AM.

• Bokishi likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1814 posts
Only in your opinion.

How so?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4436 posts

What's the next big thing anyway. When does it make sense to replace my HD 7950 3 gb ?

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6382 posts

And here I thought Bokishi might get the Titan X - getting wiser with the years? ;)

(that hasn't been proven to affect anything)

Only in your opinion.
lol wise as in no more SLI headaches. Those glutton days may be gone for now, but maybe not forever :wowey:

Edited by Bokishi, 18 March 2015 - 07:11 PM.

• samm likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6592 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Don't worry folks, I'm here to fill in as the Why In The World Did I Just Spend So Much ****ing Money On a GPU guy.  I ordered a Titan X.  Did I need to buy it?  No.  Is it overpriced?  Absolutely.  Am I regretful?  Sorta.  My bank account hates my guts right now.  Am I crazy?  Plenty of people might say "yes".  That card's going to be the 1440p champion, though.  :wowey:

I'm going to be eating nothing but rice and ramen noodles for the rest of the year.  :p

• samm, kirottu, Bokishi and 1 other like this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1365 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Are people actually able to eat ramen like...once a day every day? I like ramen, but my digestive system stops functioning if I have it too much.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 6592 posts

Are people actually able to eat ramen like...once a day every day? I like ramen, but my digestive system stops functioning if I have it too much.

Many years ago when I was young and super poor I lived an entire week eating pretty much nothing but ramen (with hot sauce, of course).

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6834 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Titan X is a lot less powerful than I had expected, watching these benchmarks.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 6592 posts

Titan X is a lot less powerful than I had expected, watching these benchmarks.

It has 1/3 more transistors than a 980 and is roughly 1/3 faster on average.  What kind of performance were you expecting?  The (absurd amount of) extra VRAM will make zero difference in the vast majority of cases, even at 4K, at least right now.  Possibly games will start using more than 4GB of VRAM in the near future...  maybe.

Anyway, my reasoning for spending that absurd amount of money on that card is that it should have me set at 1440p for the foreseeable future.  Right now it can play pretty much anything completely maxed at 1440p, it might...  might be able to handle TWitcher 3 maxed at 1440p and maintain 60 FPS, if not, really close to maxed.  I don't expect games to get that much more demanding over the next several years because the PS4 and XBone will be holding them back.

Edited by Keyrock, 19 March 2015 - 11:49 AM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6834 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
For the price and hullabaloo was expecting more victories in the benchmarks. Though the 295x2's power sucking does set it back a bit.

Maybe I will buy one too, though.

Edited by Malcador, 19 March 2015 - 11:54 AM.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 6592 posts

For the price and hullabaloo was expecting more victories in the benchmarks. Though the 295x2's power sucking does set it back a bit.

The 295X2 is absolutely a better bargain overall, but it comes with several caveats, not the least of which is the absurd power draw and the fact that the card is massive and will simply not fit in some cases.  Size is not an issue for me and I like AMD, but I simply will not buy from them because of the state of their Linux drivers.  It's too bad, since I would love to have a brand choice, but until the day comes when AMD's Linux drivers aren't light years behind Nvidia's I'm sadly attached at the hip to Team Green.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1814 posts

Don't worry folks, I'm here to fill in as the Why In The World Did I Just Spend So Much ****ing Money On a GPU guy.  I ordered a Titan X.  Did I need to buy it?  No.  Is it overpriced?  Absolutely.  Am I regretful?  Sorta.  My bank account hates my guts right now.  Am I crazy?  Plenty of people might say "yes".  That card's going to be the 1440p champion, though.  :wowey:

I'm going to be eating nothing but rice and ramen noodles for the rest of the year.  :p

Ah, I know that feeling all too well.

Edited by Sarex, 19 March 2015 - 12:17 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4436 posts

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a 4k monitor. It would be for media and 2d though. I'll stick with my HD monitor for gaming. 

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2703 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm too much of a cheap to get the Titan X. Going to get a new case before anything, but perhaps will grab a new GPU in 2016.

Good ramen absolutely. Never did ramen noodle weeks myself, as I knew people who worked at food stores.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6382 posts
Yeah Titan X!

Speaking of gpu, I just got emailed my nvidia code for a free copy of Witcher 3, woohoo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users