Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Build Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1345 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

i got myself a new mouse, Natec GX68. it has 2 less buttons than my previous (Sharkoon Drakonia) but the buttons are placed in more comfortable positions for my hand. its a bit lighter, while the same size, and i need to get used to it and a careful examination shows that the wheel axis while plastic, is 3 or 4mm thick (from what i can see through the gap), unlike the 1mm for the Drakonia that broke  a year after i got it. the button programing software could have a few more options (and lacks profile management), but unlike the previous mouse the buttons are recognized directly by the games without having to asign a keyboard key to each

for a 19€ mouse is as good as they come

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10443 posts
Back in Australia, I sort of knew what the good online places were to buy hardware, through years of trial and error. Being "new" in Europe, I wonder if anyone has any special recommendations, particularly good/reliable online hardware pushers?

Im mostly just looking for motherboard/cpu/ram that isnt too expensive (and can carry me over so to speak) until new generations of motherboards (seriously, sata2 and usb2 is about as contemporary as IDE drives) become available and off the initial high prices. My old PC has started to show stability issues, so my hands are a bit forced, about 12 months sooner than I had hoped for.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1166 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

For Germany, compare prices with gh.de. The shops showing up after a search are ranked by its customers, and the categories are quite detailed. The ranking system goes from 1 (best) to 6 (worst), following the german school grades. Do you speak German? Otherwise, insert the categories into dict.leo.org for a translation or use google translate.

On the price overview, you'll see the overall grade:

capturelqlwc.png

clicking on the ratings, you'll see very detailled grades:

capture2bbx66.png

• Gorth likes this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10443 posts
Thanks Samm, I'll give gh.de a try. Yes, I do speak German, or rather, I speak it well enough to land a good job halfway across the world and move here ;)

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1166 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Glad to be of service, and also that the posting was not understood as rude :) Because, reading it now, it sounded quite impolite, as if ordering you what to do - it was actually meant as a step-by-step guide on how to get an overview over different German hardware shops. I have to hone my language skills again... ;)

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thinking of upgrading to 1150  .... but oh god the DPC latency of most motherboards negativeman.png

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
Sorry, I'm ignorant: what's DPA latency? I did a quick Google search and didn't seem to find anything.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1816 posts

Sorry, I'm ignorant: what's DPA latency? I did a quick Google search and didn't seem to find anything.

DPC?

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
Yeah, it would help if I could read.

So is this a common problem with the 1150s? I didn't know there was a name for it, but I seem to have this problem once in a while, where my PC has inexplicably slows to a crawl: close to 0% CPU activity, close to 0% hard drive activity, more than enough free RAM available...and yet it takes 10-15 seconds to open Notepad...

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Run DPC Latency checker or LatencyMon and check to see if you're having issues.

The USB Controller on my current motherboard is pretty bad. I actually have it completely disabled, and am just using a USB expansion card instead. DPC latency down to 20-30 from over 100.

I see tests with most newer boards scoring results of 100-200 by default which is yuck. So I'll probably end up getting the Asrock Z97 Extreme6, which people are reporting tops out at about 30-50. After I disable some unnecessary controllers, it should be really smooth.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
The highest value I've had running that latency checker all day, (I did it after Googling it), is a value of 229. It's been in the 30s-40s roughly 99% of the time. I guess it's a probably situational thing.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's not too bad then if yours is idling around that. Mine goes up when I play music, and in games as well.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
After letting the program run the entire night, though, the lowest it'll go is about 60, even though I'm not running anything different from yesterday...probably a Window's problem. I'm curious to see how far it'll go up if you keep letting the system run, though.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
It never used to really be an issue until Windows 7 brought in the High Precision Event Timer. If you disable that it will probably idle at about 7-8, although I don't like doing that because I find that no HPET increases frame time in games / more general system microstutter.

If it's high, it's an issue if you do audio recording, because the recording can come at a delay. I also think it affects input lag of the mouse in games as well, higher it is, the more floaty/laggy the mouse appears to be. As an ex-competitive FPS gamer, that's something I cannot abide :p

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10443 posts

I have to hone my language skills again... wink.png

You are doing just fine original.gif

I had a look at the site and starting browsing through motherboards. Sheesh, I've been out of this game for too long already. How many legs exactly do the chips have these days??? Socket size 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3 (no idea what the -3 is for). Not to mention 3 different chipsets, z97, z87, z77 and x99. I guess I have some catching up to do on my reading.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6857 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

LGA 2011-v3 (also referred to as LGA 2011-3) is another updated generation of the socket, used for Haswell-E and Haswell-EP CPUs,

Build is postponed for a while, hm, means I might not have a rig suitable to play GTA5 or Witcher 3 on, when they release. Shazbot.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1816 posts

My Asus 560ti died... Got a Asus 970.

• Malcador likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts

Left my computer on overnight. Woke to find my primary monitor frozen at black - not off, but just black - while the second monitor was acting as though it wasn't even plugged in. Restarted my computer to find that my system drive, the SSD, is very much dead. Regardless of where or what I plug it into, nothing recognizes it. My system image I use to restore from wouldn't work on this old SATA 2 80GB...because the drive I did the image from was 120GB, and apparently if the drive you're restoring to is smaller than the drive you're restoring from, it won't work - regardless of whether or not the restore only takes up 20GB or so, anyways.

Been a fun day.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 16 March 2015 - 12:58 AM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Probably gonna have to upgrade for Pillars of Eternity lol ... a mixed 2D/3D game rofl

thinking of an i7 4790k (because fk it, why not?) and a low DPC latency motherboard, and some aftermarket cooler I can whack my quiet Noctua fan on.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6635 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

The Nvidia Titan X is officially out.  3072 Maxwell cores, 12 GB GDDR5, 1002 MHz core clock, 1089 MHz boost (supposedly lots of room for overclocking).  Interestingly, compared to previous Titans, it has much lower double precision floating point performance.  For gaming, that makes no difference whatsoever.  I imagine Nvidia saw the Titans cutting into their Quadro card sales, which is why they removed the double precision performance from this card (I'm surprised they ever included the high double precision performance before).  $999 like the previous Titan and Titan Black.  Estimated performance is about 30-35% greater than a GTX 980, roughly in the same ballpark as a Titan Z or a R9 295X (note: the Titan Z and R9 295X are dual GPU cards, while the Titan X and GTX 980 are both single GPU).

This is by far the most powerful single GPU gaming card on the market, and will be until the R9 390X comes out.  If the rumored specs of the upcoming R9 390X are to be believed, that card will be a bit more powerful that the Titan X.  It will be an especially good deal if the R9 390X winds up being a couple hundred bucks cheaper.  The rumor is that the R9 390X isn't coming out until June, though.

Edited by Keyrock, 17 March 2015 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users