What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Until today, I underestimated the value of a well-timed chicken caesar salad. 

I also learned smoked cheddar is an abomination. Not really, I could take it or leave it though, the smoke flavor tastes exactly like smoke, applewood or no.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Until today, I underestimated the value of a well-timed chicken caesar salad. 

I also learned smoked cheddar is an abomination. Not really, I could take it or leave it though, the smoke flavor tastes exactly like smoke, applewood or no.  

Yeah for  me I have found  any smoked cheese seems to have an artificial taste, which is unfair because its just smoke that flavors it ?

Yet I am not a fan and generally prefer unsmoked cheese which always has that " authentic  " cheese taste which I prefer 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I mentioned before I make a killer cheese sauce that I typically make every second week and I always have  it with a large piece of Rump...say 0.8- 1 kg and potato wedges

Half the steak I keep for sandwiches at  work so I don't gorge myself and the steak I always marinade 24-48 hours in different ways, like using Worcestershire Sauce, so of course its absolutely delicious on its own but the hero of the meal is the cheese sauce 

And thats what I want to tell you guys who like cheese and know how to make a basic cheese sauce...mix different cheese in the sauce. Experiment..I cannot tell you how  delicious and unctuous mixing cheeses tastes  :dancing:  :dancing: And you can really experiment because its almost impossible to mess it up...the worse you can really do is mix one strong cheese like Gorgonzola in with a cheese like Emmenthaler and you will just negate the weaker cheese...no crisis and waste of money as it will still  taste great 

Tonight I mixed a Danish blue with a mature cheddar and it was heavenly 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I roasted a smallish (skinless and boneless, oh no) pork shoulder (pernil) a couple days ago for about 5 or 6 hours. Pretty simple with some sofrito, recaito, roasted garlic cloves I had laying around, and homemade seasoned salt just cover, bake, wait. 

Ate a lot of it right out of the pan and made some tacos and enchiladas (I know it's more traditionally a caribbean dish but I'm a southwestern boy) with the rest of it

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

So I went large again and bought one of those pizzas where you add your own ingredients .....I had

• Mozzarella, Feta, Pecorino
  • Bacon, Biltong (jerkey) Pepperoni, Ham
  • Pineapple, Mushrooms , Cherry Tomatoes, Roasted Garlic , Pepperdews , Basel and Chilli 

Its not bad but not as good as the last one :)

• Like 2

John Milton 

This new salad venture is turning out just fine. Tonight it's something called caprese ... arugula--which I think is Italian for green grass--and mozzarella balls, plus mini-tomatoes so plump I cannot pierce them with a fork, topped with a delightful vinega-- vinniregret-- vinaigrette dressing.  

All Stop. On Screen.

http://www.cubekitchen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Cube-Menu-August-2015.pdf

So I'm going on Saturday to an 8 course tasting experience at a restaurant called The Cube...check the menu out. Its expensive by South African standards but when converted to dollars its only $56 

John Milton 

Made a ragout in the Bolognese style(ish).

In goes the carrots, celery, and the Vidalia onions I smuggled from the east coast on my Southwest flight.

Then added ground chuck, ground pork, and hot Italian sausage. Seasoned with Vietnamese fish sauce.

Already had a a previously opened bottle of cheap merlot, so I poured out half a glass or so and added a can of peeled San Marzanos. Threw in sage and basil from the garden. Let simmer for 2 1/2 hours cuz I got hungry and it was already 11pm. Used coconut milk because it was the only liquid "dairy" product I had in the house.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 4 weeks later...

False advertising, in that it's woefully inadequate. 'Super Spicy' doesn't even begin ... 

Seriously don't allow children near this product, keep milk close at hand, and wet your throat, mouth, face, eyes, lips, and sinuses beforehand. 

SuperSpicy_zps9sriw5ej.png

They're super tasty, however.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

http://rocomamas.com/menu/

Guys take a look at this menu and tell me what you would order ?

John Milton 

Beef ribs? Yuk.

Beef ribs are very tasty, very little fat and very meaty

Aren't they common where you live ?

John Milton 

Nah, usually pork ribs are the standard and you have to ask for beef ribs.

Yeah I prefer Pork but sometimes I go for Beef, we also get lamb ribs but they are too fatty for me 

John Milton 

I like them both, a lot, but I find most restaurants do pork better than beef. But or cookouts back home we tend to make more beef than pork.

Shady I always forget where you from originally...where is it again?

I know you eat food that many  people would consider " adventurous " but I find delicious 

John Milton