What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Raylan: What do you know about kidneys?

Ash: They're the Cadillac of beans.

so, Gromnir had kidney beans sitting in our pantry for the past few months and we finally decided to do something with'em.  weren't gonna make "chili" 'cause while we recognize beans and tomatoes is chili staples in some places, we can't bring our self to defile decent chili with such ingredients.  

so we instead decided to make the world's easiest red beans and rice recipe.

sure, am knowing smaller red or pink beans is more traditional, but am actual preferring the deeper flavor o' kidney beans for our red beans and rice.  even so, am admitting we commit a culinary faux pas and will endure whatever scorn and ridicule is directed our way for violating The Code.  

1 lb kidney beans-- rinsed aggressive and then placed in fridge overnight in...

2 quarts o' water

2 onions-- chopped

2 bib celery-- chopped (do not discard leafy portion)

1 immaculate bell pepper-- chopped  (btw there is a difference 'tween three and four lobe peppers.  for long simmers, we typical choose 3 lobe)

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (depends on your love/hate o' heat)

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1-2 teaspoons thyme (depends on how strong is your sausage... particular if sausage is bland, add a bit more thyme)

2 (don't laugh) bay leaves

1 lb sausage (andouille, or whatever) cooked and cut into 1/2' slices

rice

1) soak beans overnight

2) add beans and water in which beans were soaking to a large pot along with onion, celery and pepper.  bring to a boil, reduce heat to achieve simmer and then cover and let cook for 90 minutes.  do not stir 'less you somehow lose water to evaporation and need to add more to keep from becoming a dry paste... which you should not need to do. 

3) after 90 minutes o' watching college football, add remaining ingredients (sausage and spices) to your pot. stir a couple times. cover the pot again. let cook 30 more minutes.  

4) cook your rice.

add a portion o' cooked beans to rice in a bowl.  if you got a favorite hot sauce, feel free to go overboard with the heat... or not.  you now got a big bowl o' comfort food with minimum o' effort. congratulations.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Chilli con Carne with brown rice and nachos, few bottles of miller draft to wash it down.

I serve the chili in a bowl with layers of grated cheese, chopped raw onion and cream fraiche, (soured cream) all mixed together sandwiched between layers of chili. With Cream fraiche on the side for dipping and scooping with the nachos.

I don't go for Mad hot chili, where you can only taste heat, so I guess it would be medium spicy, I think it's much more tasty like that. :)

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!