What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Speaking of Asian food. I would KILL for some real Yaka Soba with prawns. When I was stationed at MCAS Futenma there was this little shack called "My House" at the bottom of the mountain. They had a big plate of yaka soba and a 1 liter tin of Orion beer for $5 US. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

unless we go through the effort o' actual roasting our tomatoes, it is our experience that canned tomatoes is superior for our soup.  am not certain why that admission bothers us so much, but it does.

Always find this myself. Tomatoes are a strange bunch because unlike most vegetables and fruit, nutrition to caloric measure increases with cooking. Less vitamin C but more antioxidants. Have to take the time with them so they aren't too thin for the consistency that I personally like. Do a lot of cooking with fresh ingredients, some from my own garden, but tomatoes aint worth the work in my opinion. Do grow them, tho. Lurve fresh raw tomatoes. Use tinned, bottles, or bagged puree, paste, and the rest for cooking.
  • Like 1

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

I peeled the membrane off a rack of ribs and put the rub on today.  Tomorrow morning it goes on the grill around 9 or 10 in the morning to smoke for several hours .

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I had a delicious 1.2 kg of ribs, Portuguese flavour  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I skipped dinner but I made the missus a beet salad and potato leek soup

What's Portuguese flavor? 

piri-piri, coriander and bay leaf? to a lesser degree, saffron and parsley is also common.  we don't typical think o' ribs as a common portuguese dish, save for braised short ribs. 

we do almost no portuguese cooking.  we got a housekeeper who is portuguese and she makes us food, but she refuses to teach us portuguese cooking. she looked so terribly sad and disappointed the one time she caught us experimenting that we hasn't dared try since.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Takes a keen eye to catch someone experimenting. How could anyone know you weren't experimenting with Brasilian/Portuguese cooking.

wasn't her eye that caught us so much as her nose. piri-piri, coriander, bay leaf and saffron exposed our fledgling culinary self-educations.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I skipped dinner but I made the missus a beet salad and potato leek soup

What's Portuguese flavor? 

piri-piri, coriander and bay leaf? to a lesser degree, saffron and parsley is also common.  we don't typical think o' ribs as a common portuguese dish, save for braised short ribs. 

we do almost no portuguese cooking.  we got a housekeeper who is portuguese and she makes us food, but she refuses to teach us portuguese cooking. she looked so terribly sad and disappointed the one time she caught us experimenting that we hasn't dared try since.

HA! Good Fun!

Portuguese spare ribs I think can be an anomaly to many  in the spare rib world.  Just to be clear this refers to the sauce the ribs get served in

In South Africa  we have strong Portuguese influences in our food because of the Portuguese community that lives here. So normally you get Sweet and Sour and Barbeque flavored ribs in SA but Portuguese ribs are a flavor between those two

They are not sweet but hotter and more spicy than Barbeque yet the heat is not extreme but more flavorsome ....its hard to explain but I hope you get what I mean :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Best ribs I ever made were in a jerk sauce. Started out as a rub in which all the spices were roasted and ground. Stuff like nutmeg and cinnamon and allspice... you know, typical Jamaican fare. Decided to make a sauce out of it. Used two different kinds of peppers because the usual pepper is sometimes harder to find fresh and I can't get it to grow right in the garden. Can sub in Habenero, but it don't taste exactly the same to me. Might be mind trick since they're so similar. Marinated it intending to cook as the old lady and I were on holiday, but the place we were visiting didn't have the amenities I had wrongfully assumed them to have so had to wait until the next day. Marinating for too long can often be a crap shoot depending on the marinade and the meat. Learned that the hard way with pineapple. So, it's been marinating now for a couple days, see? Following day we're in a beautifully dusty and extremely hot area and after a little hike, we end up in an area with a grill. No smoking unless I rig something up with tin foil and the like, which wasn't going to happen. The place was like landing on the surface of the sun as it was and smoking takes time. Hours of it. So, got the charcoal hot and ready and pitched on a couple of potatoes for baking and the ribs. Cooked em for a little over an hour. Call it an hour and a half. The potatoes were done just the way the old lady likes em, scorched lightly on the skin and tender inside. The ribs rate as one of the best meals I've ever had. See here, if it had been pineapple marinade, they would have fallen apart on the grill if they weren't simply part of a marinade soup, but the pork can survive my Jamaican jerk seasoning better. Must warn you, tho, kept the seeds in the peppers and resulting sauce will take the roof off your mouth. You can send smoke signals out of your ears after one bite. Forgot the vegetable. Think it was asparagus. This is a splendid thread. Cooking is one of my guilty pleasures and I enjoy seeing what you lads do also. Want to try some of this Portuguese sauce BruceVC is on about, but better to taste it done right first and then experiment with it once you have a feel for the dish idea.

• Like 1

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

A protein shake and some carrots.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Venison with carrots, bell peppers and red potatos cooked in a crock pot all day. There is plenty left for tomorrow too.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Best ribs I ever made were in a jerk sauce. Started out as a rub in which all the spices were roasted and ground. Stuff like nutmeg and cinnamon and allspice... you know, typical Jamaican fare. Decided to make a sauce out of it. Used two different kinds of peppers because the usual pepper is sometimes harder to find fresh and I can't get it to grow right in the garden. Can sub in Habenero, but it don't taste exactly the same to me. Might be mind trick since they're so similar. Marinated it intending to cook as the old lady and I were on holiday, but the place we were visiting didn't have the amenities I had wrongfully assumed them to have so had to wait until the next day. Marinating for too long can often be a crap shoot depending on the marinade and the meat. Learned that the hard way with pineapple. So, it's been marinating now for a couple days, see? Following day we're in a beautifully dusty and extremely hot area and after a little hike, we end up in an area with a grill. No smoking unless I rig something up with tin foil and the like, which wasn't going to happen. The place was like landing on the surface of the sun as it was and smoking takes time. Hours of it. So, got the charcoal hot and ready and pitched on a couple of potatoes for baking and the ribs. Cooked em for a little over an hour. Call it an hour and a half. The potatoes were done just the way the old lady likes em, scorched lightly on the skin and tender inside. The ribs rate as one of the best meals I've ever had. See here, if it had been pineapple marinade, they would have fallen apart on the grill if they weren't simply part of a marinade soup, but the pork can survive my Jamaican jerk seasoning better. Must warn you, tho, kept the seeds in the peppers and resulting sauce will take the roof off your mouth. You can send smoke signals out of your ears after one bite. Forgot the vegetable. Think it was asparagus. This is a splendid thread. Cooking is one of my guilty pleasures and I enjoy seeing what you lads do also. Want to try some of this Portuguese sauce BruceVC is on about, but better to taste it done right first and then experiment with it once you have a feel for the dish idea.

Thats  a very good story, I felt  a real vicarious connection to what you said ....I'm hungary now and I want Jamaican ribs  8)

I also love cooking, it relaxes me and I find it therapeutic on several levels. I also enjoy shopping for ingredients specific to a meal and I love farmers markets that sell local products like cheese and pâté de foie gras 

The UK must have some of the best farmers markets in the world ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I want In-N-Out so bad

Double double on the double

am a fan o' mustard grilled.

http://hackthemenu.com/in-n-out/secret-menu/

HA! Good Fun!

ps is not as good as culinerdy cruzer burgers, but the squeeze inn truck will be in our neighborhood on sunday.  will likely wait for our burger fix.

Edited by Gromnir

am a fan o' mustard grilled.

HA! Good Fun!

Never knew about this.

Just returned from recon, can confirm was tasty as expected. They referred to it as mustard fried, for whatever reason.

Dropped not one but two fries between the seats, I really need to figure out why my DEX score is in the red lately.

All Stop. On Screen.

I make a decent approximation burger but I don't want to put in the work plus it's pretty messy

Just returned from recon, can confirm was tasty as expected. They referred to it as mustard fried, for whatever reason.

Dropped not one but two fries between the seats, I really need to figure out why my DEX score is in the red lately.

:(

Jealous, this guy
Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a few drinks and dinner at Hooters and tomorrow I'm taking Bronwynn for lunch so its been a good weekend  :dancing:

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...