Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What you having for dinner tonight?

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10517 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm hoping for pizza to be honest with you guys. I love pizza.

End of old thread.
  • Hanna, injernnuh, inetryconydot and 6 others like this

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3727 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Lebanese food at its fines. My favorite food. (I need a new camera very badly.)

wrlML9K.jpg

Edited by Labadal, 24 January 2015 - 04:58 AM.

• Hanna and injernnuh like this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2344 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

I'm getting whatever it is that passes for Chinese food in my country. If there's one thing I learned, Chinese food is different everywhere.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8693 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dear Labadal: don't know the condition of said camera, but have you tried running a moist rag over the lens? ;)

Chinese food - yeah...one popular thing here is (western) broccoli used in many "Chinese" dishes (broccoli beef, in 'mixed vegtables', etc). Not a vegie native to Chinese cooking. And a lot more meat. But these days there are more places that are more authentic, or at least with more authentic ingredient emphasis, because of all the natural/less-meat trends of the past years.

And....since I'm running a fever and have a stuffy nose, I suspect I shall be eating nothing today but some ... chicken noodle soup. With enough hot peppers, I might even be able to taste it.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3727 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's my phone camera, LC. I've dropped my phone so many times (maybe 50?), I'm surprised it even works. For example, the other day it fell down the stairs. It's also five years old but I have no need to change it as long as I can browse the net without any issues.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I went fishing today. Yadda yadda yadda, were not having fish for dinner. Looks like a pizza night.

• BruceVC likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8693 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's my phone camera, LC. I've dropped my phone so many times (maybe 50?), I'm surprised it even works. For example, the other day it fell down the stairs. It's also five years old but I have no need to change it as long as I can browse the net without any issues.

Still, taking a q-tip to the little camera hole might help with the blur. That's kinda what it looks like, to me. It's happened to my little phone-size vid camera.

I went fishing today. Yadda yadda yadda, were not having fish for dinner. Looks like a pizza night.

I interpret that as "they all got away." :lol:

What were you fishing for, if I may ask? Trout? Something else?

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Small mouth bass, bream, & speck are the most common fish in Cold Creek & Lauderdale River. You can catch carp & gar occasionally but I don't care for them. They get put back.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Get a pizza with Tuna, its almost like catching a live fish?

• TrueNeutral likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Get a pizza with Tuna, its almost like catching a live fish?

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale there was this little hole in the wall pizza joint that had a "Shipwreck Pizza". White sauce and seafood. It was so f'ing good!

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I made steak and cheese chimichangas

Agiel

Agiel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 596 posts

Chinese food - yeah...one popular thing here is (western) broccoli used in many "Chinese" dishes (broccoli beef, in 'mixed vegtables', etc). Not a vegie native to Chinese cooking. And a lot more meat. But these days there are more places that are more authentic, or at least with more authentic ingredient emphasis, because of all the natural/less-meat trends of the past years.

Having come from a Chinese household, you begin to tire of the cuisine and even local takes on it wear on you, to the point that for me what seems completely banal to my friends (meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas) seems totally exotic to my palette. Thankfully sushi, teppanyaki, and Korean barbecue are still foreign enough for me that it's a joy to go out and eat.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

based on the theory that almost anything is improved via deep-frying?  Gromnir is an advocate. heck, you can improve twinkies and ice cream with deep frying.

HA! Good Fun!

• ShadySands likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

based on the theory that almost anything is improved via deep-frying?  Gromnir is an advocate. heck, you can improve twinkies and ice cream with deep frying.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir I hope you realize how unhealthy deep-frying anything in oil is for you, especially vegetable oil? If you are going to fry try to use Olive oil

You should only occasionally deep-fry food, its much better to steam or bake food. 

So now I'm back on my diet because my training session is over in the UK where I couldn't eat healthily. So what that really means is salad for dinner with fish or a meat and no junk food during the day but I normally take breakfast and lunch to work so thats easy to stick to  :geek:

Edited by BruceVC, 27 January 2015 - 02:12 AM.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8693 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Having come from a Chinese household, you begin to tire of the cuisine and even local takes on it wear on you, to the point that for me what seems completely banal to my friends (meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas) seems totally exotic to my palette. Thankfully sushi, teppanyaki, and Korean barbecue are still foreign enough for me that it's a joy to go out and eat.

I love Korean BBQ and have even tried to replicate it at home sometimes.

But yeah...I think most of us eventually at least have periods (if not forever) where we become very blase about anything we grew up with/ate a lot of. People would rave about my mother's "whatever" and I'd be all "meh." To this day I rarely eat most chicken dishes or any egg-based dish.
  • Agiel likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2344 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

I get that. I will never eat another boiled potato in my life. Roasted, baked, mashed, anything else but boiled. My dad was obsessed with eating meat and potatoes five days a week. I get nauseous at the sight of them now.

• Agiel likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir I hope you realize how unhealthy deep-frying anything in oil is for you, especially vegetable oil? If you are going to fry try to use Olive oil

You should only occasionally deep-fry food, its much better to steam or bake food. 

So now I'm back on my diet because my training session is over in the UK where I couldn't eat healthily. So what that really means is salad for dinner with fish or a meat and no junk food during the day but I normally take breakfast and lunch to work so thats easy to stick to  :geek:

deep frying, if done correct, actual gets a bad rep.  is based on simple science, but to do right is requiring artistry. insofar as calories is concerned, fat is fat.  is also more than a few misconceptions regarding poly/mono/un saturated fats. but ultimately, cooking in oil is not markedly less healthy than cooking in air or water IF a person understands the process at work.  simple rule: if steam is escaping food, oil can't simultaneous get into the food.  you deep-fry at the correct temp for the correct duration and you is adding very little fat to your food.  

that being said,we ain't gonna even try and boast the health value o' a deep-fried ice cream. a chimichanga ain't gonna be advocated by any health honk anywhere.  heck, you got any idea how much watermelon rind we has mindlessly thrown away over the years?  that stuff is delicious when deep-fried... honest. nevertheless, we ain't advocating deep fried watermelon for patients with heart conditions related to plaque buildup in their arteries.  

am actual a bit o' a food snob, and such folks tend to act as if deep-frying is some kinda quaint, plebeian folly. we don't get caught up in culinary or dietary dogma. we eat food for taste at least as much as health.  we get all necessary nutrition we need from food, and we exercise frequent.  am not gonna suffer through our daily diet 'cause o' perceived notions o' the lethality o' pork or beef or frying.  if we die at 78 instead o' 80, then so be it.

HA! Good Fun!

• ShadySands and BruceVC like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I just really wanted a chimichanga

It used to be a special treat for me back when I lived in AZ. I would go to a restaurant called El Molinito and order a carne seca chimichanga and get it smothered in cheese and white sauce. That's one of the most delicious heart attacks on the face the earth.

I can't get carne seca around here and and I had the steak in the fridge already

EDIT- The Mexican food in Denver isn't (always) that bad but it's not in the Sonoran style that I prefer so when I get a hankering I usually end up making it myself

Edited by ShadySands, 27 January 2015 - 03:38 PM.

• BruceVC likes this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2841 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Which reminds me that tonight is Tacos Tuesday at my local taqueria! Mmm...carnitas....

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Which reminds me that tonight is Tacos Tuesday at my local taqueria! Mmm...carnitas....

pork cooked in lard?  bruce will likely have advice for you.

HA! Good Fun!

• Leferd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users