Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who is going to wait till the first update before playing?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Bli1942

Bli1942

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I want to wait until more patches because I don't think it'll be ready until 2-3 months after release, but guaranteed I'll be playing on release day....

archangel979

archangel979

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1617 posts

I intend to take the release build, travel back in time to the dawn of the Kickstarter campaign, hand Obsidian that build, say "You're welcome," tip my hat, and disappear again in my DeLorean. Then play the twice-as-good version the day it comes out.

I don't think that would be very helpful unless you gave them the source code tongue.png

you lost me a bit there... the source code is not part of the final game?

Not in the form that is readable just like that. They would need to decompile everything.
It also lacks all original assets used to make the game.

Same reason why BGEE games didn't turn out better, they didn't have access to any of original assets.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2706 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I play games pretty slowly these days.  I'll probably jump in within a day or two of the game's release, but if the response among those with more free time is that the game is especially scarred by bugs, balance issues, and other problems a patch should fix, I could be convinced to put it on the shelf a while to ripen. 

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6996 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I will wait until they release a big patch to fix a list of issues, so really depends on their QA for the exact time.  Don't imagine the game will be very broken so much as to make release day playing treacherous so to speak, but never hurts to wait.

• BruceVC likes this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2670 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I expect a day one patch anyway so I doubt your first patch wait will be all that long.  I plan to play it on release short of some issue like work or a game crashing bug stopping me.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7161 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't think that would be very helpful unless you gave them the source code tongue.png

I've gotta leave them some kind of challenge, right? Otherwise, what's the fun?

Oooh, ooh! I'll just print out all the source code, and give them hard copies. 8D!

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I will wait until they release a big patch to fix a list of issues, so really depends on their QA for the exact time.  Don't imagine the game will be very broken so much as to make release day playing treacherous so to speak, but never hurts to wait.

Yeah thats basically my stance and perspective on the game

But I'm also excited for the people who will be jumping in and playing the game from day 1, I like to read the feedback. Thats not the same as people ruining the story. For example I still don't know the plot about DA:I yet enough people liked it to convince me that I will like it :)

talharbash

talharbash

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts

I'll wait for polish. I've yet to go play WL2 since I think they have a patch or two coming but I'll need to check.

This isn't Blizzard. I'm not expecting a polish experience at first and find with my limited game time I'd rather play a game once its done right.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

I'll wait for polish. I've yet to go play WL2 since I think they have a patch or two coming but I'll need to check.

This isn't Blizzard. I'm not expecting a polish experience at first and find with my limited game time I'd rather play a game once its done right.

I will never not accidentally read "polish" as "Polish" when first eyeing through a post, it seems. That was all kinds of confusing, honestly.

I am most definitely not expecting a Polish experience either. I had that once, I was lost in Krakow for a full night and woke up near the planty with a kebab in my hand.

• Rostere, illathid, BrainMuncher and 4 others like this

talharbash

talharbash

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts

s/polish/polished.

Although a Polish experience doesn't sound bad :)

• Luckmann likes this

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This isn't Blizzard. I'm not expecting a polish experience at first

I know I'm gonna sound totally nuts here, (this IS Obsidian we're talking about) but....I kinda am expecting a polished game on release.

First off, under the hood, the game is built very IE-ish, and the IE games were pretty smooth on release (Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape Torment, for example, only needed 1 patch each) Second, the game's been in beta for a rather long time. There's been no rush job here. Third, The Bug testing process has been decidedly different this time around. There's an extra element at play: US. Not to mention an element that ISN'T at play here: Multi-platform accountability.

Basically Nature + time + Obsidian's QA + the public.... plus there's still 2 more months of polish coming up even though Beta 392 is fully playable already...

I don't know. Just sayin'... Don't be surpized if PoE turns out to be the most polished release Obsidian's ever had.

Edited by Stun, 22 January 2015 - 03:02 PM.

• Lephys, BrainMuncher, Lord Wafflebum and 1 other like this

Lord Gorchnik

Lord Gorchnik

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Going to be awhile before I play it.  Leaving the country on the 26th to travel to Japan to visit family and friends and participate in the festivities around that time.  Get back in mid-April so I guesstimate we will have oh.....29 patches by that time, no?

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1714 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't know. Just sayin'... Don't be surpized if PoE turns out to be the most polished release Obsidian's ever had.

Never a doubt. 

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7161 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Those of us with physical copies are going to have to be really careful we don't fumble them and break everything, since they'll be so polished and hard to grip. :)
  • Lychnidos and TheisEjsing like this

Rostere

Rostere

Illuminatus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Who cares about polish anyway?

I just want a good core to build upon. Better a good vision than a "polished" game.

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Those of us with physical copies are going to have to be really careful we don't fumble them and break everything, since they'll be so polished and hard to grip. original.gif

No doubt.

Of course, when my physical copy comes in the mail, and I open it and I see...Bugs... Someone will PAY.

Edited by Stun, 22 January 2015 - 04:58 PM.

• Lychnidos and Sonntam like this

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I prefer to play a game without quest-breaking bugs, it totally ruins my immersion for a rpg. I play Wasteland 2 NOW, 5 patches after release :p

So I'll most likely wait for Pillars to get patched, maybe also try a fan mod if they are released by then. In the meantime, i'll divide my time between work and other games I currently play.

I'll also steer clear from spoilers ! :D

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Basically Nature + time + Obsidian's QA + the public.... plus there's still 2 more months of polish coming up even though Beta 392 is fully playable already...

Sure - finding bugs hasn't been a problem. The fix rate hasn't been especially fast though (from what I gather). I think they would have less programming staff than on a publisher release (although, dunno - they've got a bunch of peeps to come on during post to help).
  • Gairnulf likes this

kangaxxter

kangaxxter

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts

I was playing v1.0 (i.e. unpatched) BG2 until 2009. I'm going to play PoE on release day bugs and all.

archangel979

archangel979

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1617 posts

I was playing v1.0 (i.e. unpatched) BG2 until 2009. I'm going to play PoE on release day bugs and all.

Bg2 was not made by Bugsidian :D

Edited by archangel979, 23 January 2015 - 08:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users