Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who is going to wait till the first update before playing?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4326 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sup All

So the release of PoE is relatively imminent, 2 months or so. Its been an amazing roller-coaster ride. Some of us have been following this game since KS release and some of us have participated in the Beta, kudos to those Beta testers who probably had some frustrating moments but ultimately helped  contribute constructively towards the stability of the overall gaming experience for non-Beta testers like me

But my question is when PoE is first released there will still be some understandable technical issues. And Obsidian, as most software companies do, will release that first initial patch\update after about month or so..so my question is who is going to wait for that first patch before playing. Or are you far too excited and will be playing PoE the moment its released

I generally wait for that first patch  :geek: 

Lord Wafflebum

Lord Wafflebum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 535 posts

Nope, I'm going to play it right away. I have faith the release will be reasonably stable and lacking critical bugs.

Waiting a month would also limit my ability to smack talk in the forums.

• Hassat Hunter, Suen, Karkarov and 8 others like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2833 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm already playing the beta. Thus, I've already inoculated myself to the bugs so much so that they won't bother me too much on release.

• Karkarov, morhilane, Rumsteak and 1 other like this

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

SUP ... there is a strong stand-up paddleboard community in this area, as well.

Early adopters are born this way, we must taste the bleeding edge for all its irony bitterness. Day one or none. 

• BruceVC, Adhin and Namutree like this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1077 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Since I won't know for sure if they'll release a patch, I'll start playing as soon as I'll be able. I'll get the patch when it'll be (if it'll be) out; I don't believe they'll force me to start the game over :p

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3494 posts

I would be surprised if it really would take a month for the first update after release. These days, it's not uncommon to release the first patch within a week. And for many, I think there'll even be a patch waiting on installation (because even after "going gold", they'll probably keep working on things).

I wish I could wait. And maybe I'll wait a day or two out of sheer necessity. But honestly speaking, no, I don't foresee myself waiting very long. I want to get into things and I'm going to pick the game apart and critique everything as I always do.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3130 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll probably wait until the second or third patch, even.

For one thing, the game will ship on 26th March, which is right before the start of the busiest time of the year for me at work. I won't have much time to play until end of May / beginning of June.

Second, I want to take my time enjoying all the extra goodies I got for backing the game: novella, almanac, strategy guide, art book, soundtrack ... I'll even RTFM. I want to be well acquainted with the lore and setting before I start playing.

Last but not least, the more bugs are fixed before I start playing, the better my first time through the game will be ;)

• Malekith likes this

archangel979

archangel979

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1617 posts
I have learned a lot by playing other KS games like WL2 or Shadowrun and that is to always wait for few patches first :)
  • BruceVC, talharbash and Rumsteak like this

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll have to wait until after the weekend to play it regardless, so I guess any possible massive game-breaking release days bugs should be taken care of by then, but yeah I have no intention of waiting until the first parch or anything like that -- I'll be playing it asap. The obvious sound issues aside, I thought the build Josh was playing on the Twitch stream looked great, so I'm not too worried about the games' stability.

Gorbag

Gorbag

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll have to wait until after the weekend to play it regardless, so I guess any possible massive game-breaking release days bugs should be taken care of by then, but yeah I have no intention of waiting until the first parch or anything like that -- I'll be playing it asap. The obvious sound issues aside, I thought the build Josh was playing on the Twitch stream looked great, so I'm not too worried about the games' stability.

Streamed content gets additional prior stability passes though. That's not to say that the game won't be as stable on release, we'll have to wait and see.
It's probably day 1 for me, unless I have other stuff to do.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3005 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Assuming I get the game when I have free time, I'm diving right in!

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Assuming I am free, I will play and submit bug reports as I go.

The game will no doubt be rough around the edges even with a day 0 patch, most games are these days. Will probably take a while post-release to get things feeling right. As long as they follow the same trend as Larian and inXile and give good post-release support, listen to feedback and add new features it should end up being alright.

• GreyFox, PrimeJunta, Sif and 2 others like this

MasterPrudent

MasterPrudent

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There's always at least one broken quest in an rpg on release so if I'm buried in work or knee deep in another game I'll put it off. But if nothing else is going on then I'm not going to be able to stop myself from diving in. I won't regret it unless it's released with a real showstopper.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3606 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I will play it on release, being well aware that I will encounter bugs.

As soon as I can play it, I will be like

tumblr_nbzyq2Zy0V1terwlso1_400.gif

• Hassat Hunter, Suen, Adhin and 3 others like this

Sonntam

Sonntam

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 341 posts

26th March is right in the middle of university vacation fo rme. I'm sure as hell am not going to wait. If there are some game breaking bugs that stop me from moving on through the main plot line, I will just do side quests or stuff. 

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8727 posts

I'm going to wait five years.

• Malcador, Labadal, Wolfenbarg and 3 others like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8684 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll have to play it at least some on release, even if I don't truly finish it for a long while. I like knowing/relating to what people are talking about, even more so here since I can't just totally avoid reading the PoE forums. Patching has never been a reason for me to wait to play, really. Only if I can't start the game at all, or something. Haha.

Plus, this: ;)

Waiting a month would also limit my ability to smack talk in the forums.

• Karkarov, Mannock and Lord Wafflebum like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No waiting whatsoever. Bugs or no, here I go! Geronimo!!

• Labadal likes this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm going to be playing the minute it's available. I can handle any amount of tiny bugs. As long as there are no major plot-stopper bugs (and even if there are, I'll just come and rant on these forums:) 

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'll need to finish tetris before getting around to PoE. It'll be a while. 

• Rostere and IndiraLightfoot like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users