Number of portraits?

True - well there are things much more important than portraits - so i prefer that they improve other aspects of the game, rather than "waste" time at portraits xP

I think portraits are pretty important :)

• Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's gonna be plenty of "custom" portraits... It is a simple process to (for instance) add the IWD portraits to PoE. And it has been done the other way around too original.gif

It would be nice if Obsidian had the time to add more... But they are already working so hard, though ...

The problem with portraits like that is that they almost never fit the style of the game. Even almost 15 years later, I can't find a single good custom portrait pack for Baldur's Gate II that fits the Baldur's Gate II style. The same goes for Baldur's Gate - I'd still be willing to kill for the Baldur's Gate II NPC:s in Baldur's Gate's style.

It's almost as if that's what I said already on pg. 1.

Yeah I know. It will be difficult to find any godlike portraits out there ... But my point was, they exist :)

That said, there are so many custom portraits, that one can use for free... I'm sure SOME will fit for PoE :)

• Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

Wish there was a way to take a portrait of the character you make, never liked these painted ones. I know I'm a heathen etc etc 

But with the normal portraits, I do hope there is at least double what the backer beta has, at release

Take two screencaps and save them in PillarsofEternity_Data/data/art/gui/portraits/player/?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yeah but I'd rather be lazy and have a built in system lol. Considering the characters are 3D and portraits don't look anything like most of the characters people make it'd be nice to have a portrait maker thing in the base game. Think Wasteland did this

The ideal would be: (number of classes (11) * number of sexes (2) * number of races (each of godlike subrace as a separate race) (9)) = 198 pictures. Well - small chances for that to happen, thats why i'm counting on wonderful modders society wink.png

I wouldn't just count the Godlike subraces as seperate. You really should count all of the subraces as seperate, because they all have wildly different phenotypes.

So I'm counting Classes (11) * Genders (2) * All Subraces (15) for a total of 330 portraits.

I realize that's unrealistic before release, but it is the ideal I think they should strive for. One of the devs said that they're going to try to make a series of hooded/helmeted portraits too, because those can be used for several different races at once.

Well I definitely need variants.

Give me a noble knightly like human warrior, a more gruffy version and one clearly evil. The good the bad and the weird.

About 1000 portraits should satisfy the immediate need. Well over month left, easy peasy.

• Like 4

Portraits are never enough. That's why a nice option to put a screenshot of our avatar's face would be nice (I mean without having to press print screen, minimize, open a photo editor blah blah blah). InXile new that and put the option in Wasteland 2.

Portraits + Avatar screenie + custom imported picture = win win win.

Because, yes, that wouldn't look bad AT ALL....

317120_2014_08_19_0009rj37.png

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeerfect, not?

[/sarcasm]

I meant a close up to the face and no I wouldn't mind. And after all I didn't say ONLY screanshot. Portrait, or screenshot or imported image. Why an imported image would look better? It won;t be of the same artistic tone. It wont be FORCED to anyone. I'd like a screenshot. And that would also go to the companions. It doesn't have to be just for the main character. You could changethe companion portraits with their screenshots or a custom picture. Why not.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

Can you switch portraits in-game? (I know you can do this for the IE games)

I might even on one playthrough go with close-ups of the faces of the characters (uniformal, typical Might & Magic and other FPS dungeoncrawls).

Here's a post I made explaining it better.

EDIT: But if you don't want to look into that post or that thread, here's the screenshots (from my steam library)

Example 1: In Character Creator
Example 2: In Game

It surprised me a bit how well it looked in-game in my opinion.

Example 3: 2 Characters (The Elf portrait was rushed, so I admit it doesn't look good)

EDIT EDIT: For more advanced stuff, it could take Equipment into consideration and even the 3D character model from the Inventory screen into consideration. If you have a helmet, the helmet could be on the character's head. If you have plate armor, you'd see it in the portrait on the shoulders, etc. etc.

So much could be done with it, but I suppose it's a bit late and it might not even fit the standards into an Expansion, patch or sequel but maybe mod *shrug* though, it might be a bit too advanced.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Well about changing portraits in game - as far as i know its not known yet (though i doubt that), however surely there will be some fan-made editor with such option (it exist for other Infinite Engine games, so i dont see a reason why wouldnt it be done for PoE ... and besides i think i read about it some time ago that (i think) EEKeeper wants to implement PoE editor in it (hope i didnt broke any forum rule just now xP )

I can understand if there isn't enough portraits in the pack to satisfy every need. Portraits take time and budget to create. Hopefully  though, the number of portraits will increase with the expansion pack.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It would be nice if Obsidian had the time to add more... But they are already working so hard, though ...

Dangit, guys! We did it wrong! During the Kickstarter campaign... we shouldn't have been donating money. We should've just donated time! o_o

Or DeLoreans. :)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

We are going to be adding in a slew of additional portraits before launch. I can't say how many just yet, but we are trying to add as many as we can.

As long as it is between 1 and 1,000,000 I will be happy.

With two million portraits it would just be too much hassle to choose the right one?

Sweet spot at maybe 500 thousand?

• Like 1

With two million portraits it would just be too much hassle to choose the right one?

Sweet spot at maybe 500 thousand?

But....but my custom modded, venusuvian, polka-dotted, pin-striped tailed, purple-eyed, blue-bow wearing lizardgirl must have her portrait! 500,000 simply won't do.

i dont have such worries - just several playthroughs will resolve any class problems xP (besides, i dont know if you know but you can command your companions and lvl them up - so as long you choose rogue as your main character, you can have fun playing all those classes in a single playthrough xP)

PLEASE: let us import own portraits!

It was possible in WL2 and it was great. If you don't know how to do that ask inXile. It can't be THAT difficult...  ;)

We already have that ability.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

PLEASE: let us import own portraits!

It was possible in WL2 and it was great. If you don't know how to do that ask inXile. It can't be THAT difficult...  ;)

Are you looking for an actual "import" button in the UI? That would be nice, but it isn't necessary to add your own portraits.

Navigate to: <Steam dir>\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player\<male|female>

As I recall, It accepts a variety of graphics file formats. Copy the naming scheme and (for best results) pixel dimensions, and you're good to go.

• Like 1