Ambient sounds + NPCs : cities too empty ? + Animations of characters

People not actually sitting at tables is one of the most jarring "immersion" things, any word if they're gonna fix that? Or are beings in this universe unable to sit?

I think the main quest at some point involves dealing with the hemorrhoids epidemic, that's why it's called Piles of Eternity.
  • Like 2

Hi, I actually came here to create an account, only to tell you that the towns feel waaaay to deserted and "lifeless".

I was happy to see that there was an healthy thread about this issue.

It's really quite a big deal.

• Like 2

And btw, pretty amazing that the other two points in the OP were the ones I also identified after washing the Josh Sawyer playthrough yesterday that led me up to coming here.

That the characters run really fast, well I guess we'll see how that plays out. It would be hard to change at this point.

And that they are running in sync looks kind of "arcadey".

• Like 1

And btw, pretty amazing that the other two points in the OP were the ones I also identified after washing the Josh Sawyer playthrough yesterday that led me up to coming here.

That the characters run really fast, well I guess we'll see how that plays out. It would be hard to change at this point.

And that they are running in sync looks kind of "arcadey".

Check out the youtube video and watch in parts where they run fast if there is a message on screen that says Fast Mode. I didn't always notice it right away and I know it exists. I can imagine how confusing it was for people totally new to watching PoE.

If you still think everyone moves too fast when Fast Mode was not ON come back here and tell us.

• Like 1

What was great about Athkatla was the illusion it built about a BIGGER city than it was. 

This was in part due to "zoning", we only saw selected small highlights of the city, and there were always buildings in the distance we could reach, which made it feel huge. There were also many layers of the city and little side alleys, sewer sections and walkways between buildings which made it feel massive and intricate when I played it.

Also there were a lot of random NPCs which made the place seem busy. Peasants standing around chatting, priests preaching, sailors walking around the docks. This gave a sense of buzz around the city as people went about their lives ignoring you. The world didn't revolve around your party, and even after the Underdark, life in Athkatla went on as normal which was great in terms of the secret war type story that the plot revolved around.

Finally there were the ambient sounds which were happening the distance. The sounds in Pillars might not be finished yet but having those distant echoes of children playing, a tradesman selling his wares, or a bell ringing for church or to signify a ship departing were all great. 

Also I think the original NWN did a great job of making a city seem busy and alive - same reason as Athkatla were great, only that there was a lot going on in the city and the different regions really felt great - the City Core felt SAFE and busy, the Prison district felt like it was rioting etc. Luskan had a different feel from Neverwinter too based on the sound effects and weather used.

Basically it's a bunch of little things which add up to make the game great.

By the way, no one notice when they move they look like clones moving all synchronized, also they have the animation of someone running but they just walk (and i am not talking about the D fast stuff). There is something unnatural on their movement, it can be they no sleep and they have a lot of fatigue?

"no sleep for the watcher"

Edited by Arturo Sanquiz

Yes i know, my english sux.

Hey, guys. We are doing some things to try and address people's feedback about the NPCs in the city. For example, adding patrollers. We will also make sure the ambient walla is added so the area feels more crowded.

Thanks for the response! This will certainly help create a better atmosphere IMO and having people sitting and drinking definitely makes the city/area more believable.