The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread..

Raithe

What a gross and ridiculous leap.

Not really. This literally has already happened in my country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_for_Neighbourly_Love,_Freedom,_and_Diversity

Well, ****.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There is no doubt that she is a first class passenger on the loony train.  I'm just pretty sure her parents bought the tickets.  tongue.png

Heh, that's some conclusion.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's more of the actual dishonesty than the identifying with a different culture or race, for myself.  Although I am reticent to fully trust the parents, they seem a bit shady.  There is some stuff that they seem to be nitpicking on.  They admit she lived in a teepee and has some native american heritage, but they are quick to dismiss it in their efforts to undermine her.  Not really a healthy family.   :p

Interesting perspective on the parents of Rachel Doleval:

https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/the-media-is-doing-exactly-what-rachel-dolezals-abusive-homeschooling-parents-want/

Seems like the writer of that article is swapping unproven accusations and assertions of motivation about Dolezal to unproven accusations and assertions of motivation about her parents. 

The whole thing may be a sad commentary on a particular families breakdown, but I'm with Gromnir in that I can't see what material advantage or harm was caused by Dolezal's masquerade given that her position in the NCAAP wasn't contingent on her being a particular race. But I admit I'm not following the story terribly closely so maybe I missed something "important".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's more of the actual dishonesty than the identifying with a different culture or race, for myself.  Although I am reticent to fully trust the parents, they seem a bit shady.  There is some stuff that they seem to be nitpicking on.  They admit she lived in a teepee and has some native american heritage, but they are quick to dismiss it in their efforts to undermine her.  Not really a healthy family.   :p

Interesting perspective on the parents of Rachel Doleval:

https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/the-media-is-doing-exactly-what-rachel-dolezals-abusive-homeschooling-parents-want/

Seems like the writer of that article is swapping unproven accusations and assertions of motivation about Dolezal to unproven accusations and assertions of motivation about her parents. 

The whole thing may be a sad commentary on a particular families breakdown, but I'm with Gromnir in that I can't see what material advantage or harm was caused by Dolezal's masquerade given that her position in the NCAAP wasn't contingent on her being a particular race. But I admit I'm not following the story terribly closely so maybe I missed something "important".

Reminds me of the Philip Larkin poem, obviously not suitable for this forum, which should serve as a warning and reminder to all parents. However the "evidence" against Ms Dolezal's parents barely seems much more than mudslinging. I'm left with only one conclusion, that being that the young lady might possibly need help. Obviously we all know young white men and women whom identify and mimic American African ghetto culture, even in the leafy suburbia of England thousands of miles away, but the lengths that the young lady went to seems...excessive.

Edit: Then again thinking further on the situation, many women dye and style their hair, use ridiculous amounts of tanning and products to darken their skin and dress or make themselves up in a certain manner. Is Ms Dolezal's artifice any more egregious than other ladies? It's an extremely weird situation.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Maybe they finally got fed up with their kid's BS ?

Interesting question, it really can't lead to a reconciliation or a better relationship, they must have known that revealing their daughters donning of blackface would alienate her with finality. Whom really knows what goes on in a family other than the members however, if they can face being honest with themselves. It's a shame that the matter couldn't be dealt with privately, but then again it's not a private world anymore.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You won't find me giving any sympathy to the parents here.  What exactly is their motive in all this?

Supposedly a reporter was investigating something regarding Dolezal.  Supposedly when tracked down and asked, the parents said "yeah she's our daughter, she's white, here's childhood photos".  Supposedly the parents had no plans to be public about their estrangement from her until asked.

That seems shaky logically to me because they could have just refused to talk to the reporter had they wanted to keep it "in the family".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Here's a little gem about the Dolezal story that I had previously missed:
Rachel Dolezal boycotted Exodus: Gods and Kings because it cast white actors as Africans - She accused the film of 'misrepresentation' :facepalm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_for_Neighbourly_Love,_Freedom,_and_Diversity

Well, ****.

According to the wiki page it was a party that had only 3 members, never took part in an election, and has disbanded. I wouldn't call that much of a threat, nor an indication of larger social trends.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

And I never said it was. Consider what this was in response to:

If this spiral of lunacy continues, then pedophilia will soon be discussed as an "interesting topic".

Don't belive me? It will be rephrased as "Agency in the age of consent might be different than what we previously though. Tommy's experience of being trapped in a young boys body of 8 denies him the intimacy with Ben, 39. The current system offers tools of oppression that victimizes their existence, maybe we should finally come to terms and discuss serious issues such as these".

I would guess within another five years or so.

These are the types of arguments said party made back in 2006, and they identified as being "left wing" as well as having other generally regarded as left wing platforms such as animal rights. (Also, the wiki article states there were 3 public members, which is a fairly important dinstinction.)

The point wasn't that this is some larger trend, but it was an early attempt to legitimize such arguments in the form of a political party that started in 2006. Obviously it was unsuccesful and rightly so, but it demonstrates isolated pockets of this type of thinking already exists despite Meshugger clearly having made it up as a hypothetical example of future lunacy.

I'm just not sure where the jump from a white woman identifying as a black person (who seems to have spent formative years in Africa, was surrounded by black siblings, and married a black man) got us to pedophilia.   :blink:

Because it is not about a white woman identifying as a black one, it is about her lunacy was accepted to such a degree that she managed to float around the system, even becoming local leader of NAACP, until she was exposed. 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, ****.

Was sent an article earlier this year where a bunch of "sex-positive" liberals were fighting to "reduce the stigma around underage sex-work" because it denies their "agency".

Was sent an article earlier this year where a bunch of "sex-positive" liberals were fighting to "reduce the stigma around underage sex-work" because it denies their "agency".

That's screwed up.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Lots of things are screwed up nowadays. Just ask your grandparents what they think.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Well, ****.

Good god, I thought my example was the worst it had gotten for now. Source?

Good god, I thought my example was the worst it had gotten for now. Source?

I'm sure me googling "under-age sex workers" has now got me on some watchlist.

Anyways, couldn't find the article I mentioned but here's the study it was based off. Link.

Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 1

Really, it doesn't take a whole lot of historical context to see that the world (or at least the US) has changed predominately for the better.  We are only 50 years removed from a decade where schools were segregated, a president was assassinated and his presidential hopeful brother shortly after, two major civil rights leaders were gunned down, we were on the brink of nuclear war, we were losing soldiers in Vietnam...etc.  

Our big complaints today seem to be about gay people, Obamacare, and phone records.   :wowey:

• Like 1

Really, it doesn't take a whole lot of historical context to see that the world (or at least the US) has changed predominately for the better.  We are only 50 years removed from a decade where schools were segregated, a president was assassinated and his presidential hopeful brother shortly after, two major civil rights leaders were gunned down, we were on the brink of nuclear war, we were losing soldiers in Vietnam...etc.  

Our big complaints today seem to be about gay people, Obamacare, and phone records.   wowey4.gif

Not too sure those are the big complaints. NSA spying, recent wars..sorry, interventions around the world, torture programs, income disparity, mass shootings are probably a bit bigger. Doesn't seem that much did change though, I guess just in degree.

Probably more parents need to beat their kids, though.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2