Got a strange messge from a friend's steam account

Arcoss

the message reads: Hi bro you need it? (and then a certein link which I won't post here)

once I clicked on the link it downloaded something(a PNG file that asked me to install it when I tried to open it) on my computer, then I checked and saw my friend also received a similar message

I proceeded to change my password, delete the file and reset steamguard

does anyone know what it means? should I be worried?

Edited by Arcoss

Legionnaire of the Obsidian Order

yes, you should. if you did launch something when you clicked on that file, you probably installed a keylogger, so changing your password won't do much good. change it on another computer. then download Malware Bytes or something and run a full scan with it, just in case

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I can't believe how many people are falling for this...how do people just open randomly downloaded .exes? Everyone must have visible "standard" file extensions disabled.

Run a malware scan.

(edit) Ironically, if a keylogger WAS installed, changing your password just makes it worse - if you set Steam to automatically log in upon system startup and remember your password, you'd never type in your password anyways - ergo, it couldn't be recorded. Now that you changed it, however...

If you have Steam Guard enabled, I imagine that you also logged into your email...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

log in from another device and change all the passwords you changed after the incident, just to be safe.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

As Bartimaeus intimated you should turn on file extensions as well, instructions here. That should make virus.png.exe attempts more obvious since the double extension should then become visible.

(stupid Microsoft with their moronic default options)

It's crazy, to me, how many people have them disabled. I don't understand how people get along without them - desktop, at the very least, would be unusable for normal file downloading and such - would have to view everything in Windows Explorer where it actually displays it.

You can enable file extensions in Windows 7 by opening any folder, clicking "Organize" in the top left, "Folder and search options", "View" tab, then unchecking "Hide extensions for known file types" in about the middle of the list. Vista is probably the same - don't know for 8.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

As Bartimaeus intimated you should turn on file extensions as well, instructions here. That should make virus.png.exe attempts more obvious since the double extension should then become visible.

(stupid Microsoft with their moronic default options)

It's crazy, to me, how many people have them disabled. I don't understand how people get along without them - desktop, at the very least, would be unusable for normal file downloading and such - would have to view everything in Windows Explorer where it actually displays it.

You can enable file extensions in Windows 7 by opening any folder, clicking "Organize" in the top left, "Folder and search options", "View" tab, then unchecking "Hide extensions for known file types" in about the middle of the list. Vista is probably the same - don't know for 8.

It's even more crazy that Microsoft after all these years still thinks it's a good idea to turn them off *by default*.

Btw, do note that bugs in image libraries have been found a few times already meaning that malicious content could be installed into images without having to mess with the extension (see here for example).

Also, if you're not already use NoScript (in Firefox) I'd highly recommend it (though it makes certain websites tedious to visit, whether they are worth the effort if they're this badly built is imho, debatable), especially after the news of hacked (Flash) advertisements being served from Yahoo, resulting in infection of every single computer that ran those (see this comment).

Also do not open anything you consider suspicious without confirming with the person that seemingly sent it that they actually did send it to you.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 4

Was that Monte? I got the PM too and just replied back with "who is this, what is this?"

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Damn you, Monte. Why do you hate people so much. *shakes the fist in the air*

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I also see some new posters are adding members as friends. It has never happened that strangers adds me as a friend and I've been on these boards a few years. Being suspicious of everyone and everything is the best course of action.

Edited by Labadal

Stuff like this is why I still won't allow HTML/whatever-based emails (if I can't read it in the old text-only or message-source modes, I'm not reading it). Not that this totally relates, I'm just saying I'm super paranoid/careful.

Making all files/ext. visible is the very first thing I do in Windows.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I also see some new posters are adding members as friends. It has never happened that strangers adds me as a friend and I've been on these boards a few years. Being suspicious of everyone and everything is the best course of action.

I almost never add anyone if I don't know who they are. So if I get an invite, the first thing to check is if we have friends in common.

I'd like to be more inclusive than that, but every now and then I'll add some stranger thinking to be nice and make new friends. I promptly get spammed as a result.

Glad I have none of you as Steam friends, malware vectors all of you!

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I almost never add anyone if I don't know who they are. So if I get an invite, the first thing to check is if we have friends in common.

I'd like to be more inclusive than that, but every now and then I'll add some stranger thinking to be nice and make new friends. I promptly get spammed as a result.

I'm talking about the guy adding you me and some others as friend on these boards. I can't even decline a friend request.

Yeah, I got a few new friends here in the past couple of days

I thought it was just because I gave them games

EDIT: you have to go into your settings and check a box to have to approve your friend requests

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm talking about the guy adding you me and some others as friend on these boards. I can't even decline a friend request.

Oh, these boards. I thought you were talking about Steam.

Nobody ever adds me on these boards. :(

Oh, these boards. I thought you were talking about Steam.

Nobody ever adds me on these boards. :(

Lies. I stalked you on your Obsidian forum profile and you have several friends.  :bat:

• Like 1

"Got a strange messge from a friend's steam account" really only requires one response: "Cool story, bro."

I can only assume you accept "friend" requests from strangers out of the blue and not people you regularly play games with. If it's not a regular from my clan server on TF2 then it's an automatic ignore.

Edited by AGX-17