Just read the latest blog report on game status.   Read about how complex and fast the game was and how steep the 'learning curve' is. 

I really hope they work on that.   I have never played an RPG (I'm a big 4X gamer) but thought this might be a good one to try.  

Well, maybe not.   I'll be sure to read the reviews before I buy because it looks like this is turning out to be yet ANOTHER 'RPG game for RPG grognards. 

Games need to be more accessible.   At least that's my take on PC games and it's been that way for twenty years.   

I'm sure you can find a ton of "accessible" (easy) RPGs, some RPG fans prefer a little challenge, with little to no handholding.

I backed an old school style RPG because I want an old school style RPG experience.

• Like 9

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Variety is the spice of life....if one doesn't like one spice, one switches to another spice, and that way everyone at least has something that they can enjoy. 

• Like 11
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, you're probably not going to get much support for the "RPGs should be easier" position around here.

The nice thing about modern gaming is there are tons of "let's play" videos out there. I'd suggest waiting until the game releases and watching other people play. If it looks like something you'd like, then buy it. If not, don't.

• Like 4

Never heard of 4X gaming, so, I guess we're even. 

eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate.

Think Master of Orion 2, Alpha Centauri, any Civ or even TW game

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just read the latest blog report on game status.   Read about how complex and fast the game was and how steep the 'learning curve' is. 

I really hope they work on that.   I have never played an RPG (I'm a big 4X gamer) but thought this might be a good one to try.  

Well, maybe not.   I'll be sure to read the reviews before I buy because it looks like this is turning out to be yet ANOTHER 'RPG game for RPG grognards. 

If I had to guess, I'd think the game will have an optional introductory stage and ease you into the details. That's usually the way these types of games function. Beyond that, the game should be plenty long with much time and opportunity to learn the refinements. But if it doesn't prove appealing to you... well no game can be expected to find favor with everybody.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'll be sure to read the reviews before I buy because it looks like this is turning out to be yet ANOTHER 'RPG game for RPG grognards. 

That's kind of unfair. There isn't exactly a flood of those.

I'm sure you can find a ton of "accessible" (easy) RPGs, some RPG fans prefer a little challenge, with little to no handholding.

You are conflating lots of aspects in a single sentence here.

A game can be accessible (rules and mechanics are simple to understand even for new players) while still having depth (those rules and mechanics combine to create varied strategies and counter-strategies), be as easy or challenging as we wish it to (thanks to the difficulty slider), with little to no "handholding" (whatever that means - I assume quest markers are an example of what you have in mind).

Accessibiliy is good thing to have no matter the game, and very much something Obsidian was aiming for. While PoE is rather good on that point by old-school RPGs standards, it's still a lot to handle right off the bat for someone completely new to the genre.

• Like 2

Not every game needs to be accessible to everyone.

I'm sure you can find a ton of "accessible" (easy) RPGs

QFT. Not every developer has to bend over to you OP, you are not the only person in the world playing RPGs.

Also Boohoo its too hard - you can take things into your own hands and just learn to play you know? And if this game is still too complex to your liking, you are obviously not really interested in it in the first place. That is the truth. And dont worry, I still love you and we all love you OP.

Edited by Sheikh

Considering PoE was backed because it was marketed as a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games, the game is supposed to live up to that expectation.

You have plenty, an abundance of (so called) RPGs on the market that are accessible, games like Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment are extinct. So for the love of all the gods that were ever worshiped in this world, don't be greedy and let us have a proper sucessor to the IE games.

Edited by Marcvs Caesar
  • Like 6

To be fair, if you can master games like the Civilization series, you'll probably be alright with PoE. It's not rocket science.

That said, I consider myself a very casual gamer but I am 100% opposed to any dumbing down of the game mechanisms. I want PoE to be challenging, I want to be able to play it for at least a few months.

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 2

The OP is a brave soul to make that statement on a forum for a game primarily backed by fans of Infinity Engine games.    Surely the OP expected the reaction he received.  

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Second troll for today. Could even be the same person with different accounts.

You know that calling out trolls is trolling right? Except you are not brave enough to even admit it? And you blame others for doing something that they are not doing, but instead you are doing? Thats pretty horrible.

The OP is a brave soul to make that statement on a forum for a game primarily backed by fans of Infinity Engine games.    Surely the OP expected the reaction he received.  

You have no idea what the OP expected or did not expect. You also do not known if it took the OP bravery or not.

Bye the way, I love you.

Edited by Sheikh

Second troll for today. Could even be the same person with different accounts.

You know that calling out trolls is trolling right? Except you are not brave enough to even admit it? And you blame others for doing something that they are not doing, but instead you are doing? Thats pretty horrible.

You have no idea what the OP expected or did not expect. You also do not known if it took the OP bravery or not.

Bye the way, I love you.

Your statement is technically correct however that is my opinion though.

Not sure what you mean by "I know you".  Lots of people do, some like me, some don't.  I hope it is friendly as Ilike most of your posts.

Edited by Nakia

nakia_banner.jpg

Your statement is technically correct however that is my opinion though.

Not sure what you mean by "I know you".  Lots of people do, some like me, some don't.  I hope it is friendly as Ilike most of your posts.

No, I love you, as a fellow human being.

Btw thanks.

Edited by Sheikh

OP here.   This game looks pretty special and I'm looking forward to its release.  I was a little discouraged and hoped my post might provide the devs with some 'please make this accessible' comments.  

True story - first game I ever bought was 'X-Wing'.   Bought my first PC to play it.   And it was a fantastic game, but it had some really hard missions.   I wrote a letter to Computer Gaming World magazine saying, 'gee, I wish LucasArts would make their games more accessible for (and this is the exact phrase I used 'less than expert players).   

CGW published the letter and said, 'fair enough, we hope so too'. 

TIE-Fighter came out and had all sorts of improvements to make it easier to play.  

• Like 1

concrete ****

Ouch. This cannot be good.

On topic, I bet Pillars of Eternity would end up being a lot more accessible that the Infinity Engine games (not that I've had any problem whatsoever accessing them, but, as the OP would put it, I'm a grognard, so there). That said, please note that accessible =/= easy. Also, bear in mind that what is "accessible" to one is "dumbed down" to another.

Nothing gold can stay.

My second CRPG was Baldurs Gate.  I was somewhat familiar with PnP D&D but computer games where new to me.  Did I find BG easy? No, I found it challenging, fun, immersive and became addicted.  

There are a variety of settings for PoE but I expect the game to need strategy, thinking from the player.  

• Like 2

nakia_banner.jpg