Turkey, Fish, and a Thanks Giving wish!

Namutree

Happy Thanksgiving.  I haven't been eating a lot for the past several months, but I've decided that Thanksgiving I'm going to feast.  So, I a couple of pieces of pizza, a quesadilla, and tomato slices for lunch.  We're heading over to the in-laws for dinner soon, where I hope they have stuffing without all the cranberries and sweet crap people like to put in it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Was a pretty good Thanksgiving. Saw my brother and his family for the first time since last Christmas, so that was nice. Burnt my forearm getting dressing out of the oven, so that kind of sucked, but it's not bad (red, but it doesn't hurt at all.)

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all the other Thanksgiving having people. :)

Hmm, then which is the correct phrase in German for "Shoot ... the glass." Like window glass, inside an office on the 34th floor of the Nakatomi building. Der? Dem? Das finster? 

I'm more curious as to why you want to know the phrase for shooting at a window. It would be something like "Schieß auf das Fenster" and this one is simple because it's akkusativ. Dativ is the one that screws everyone up, cause if it were Dativ then it would end up being "Schieß auf dem Fenster" or for a Die noun it'd be "Schieß auf der Birne." (again, WERE that verb dativ)

Best way I know to explain dativ to english speakers is that typically if you can insert "to/for" into a sentence then it's dativ. For example "I'll give you my house" is "Ich werde dir mein Haus geben" because you could feasibly say "I will give to you my house" or "I will give my house to you." The "to" expresses that you are not infact the target of the verb, the target being the haus as that is what's actually being given. You are merely the "means of conveyence" so to speak so you use dir instead of dich. Another dumb example would be "Ich kämme meinem Hund die Haare" (I'm combing my dog's hair) where you're combing the hairs (akkusativ) and the dog is the "means of conveyance" and you could easily change it into "I'm combing my dog's hair (for my dog)."

There's also dativ with verbs involving location and travel which is a bit more difficult to explain and really just kinda has to be learned via an understanding for the grammar. Great example: "Ich stehe auf den Tisch" and "Ich stehe auf dem Tisch" have dramatically different meanings. :p

Also, obligatory turkey to keep thread on topic:

2mxrjwz.jpg

Yeah, **** that Longknife guy for inadvertedly derailing the thread.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

So far I've had some salami and crackers and a cinnamon roll. I'm a non-traditionalist. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The best will always be when Kennedy said he was a donut.

This Thanksgiving, be thankful that you are blessed enough to live in a country where even a delicious pastry can aspire to be president.

Oh and:

Es ist immer wieder "witzig", wenn im Ausland auf Schildern oder Speisekarten kaum verständliches Deutsch zu lesen ist, oder in Filmen für Millionen Dollar falsches Deutsch zu hören ist. Mein bekanntestes Beispiel.

Re: Schieß dem Fenster

So selten ist nun Deutsch auch nicht, als dass man keinen Dolmetscher finden könnte oder einfach einen Deutschen fragen könnte. Laufen genug in der Welt rum. Man könnte es als Unhöflichkeit deuten.

A comment on the Schieß dem Fenster vid.

Just so we're clear, he's b****ing hardcore that the movie dare have imperfect German, saying that German is a common enough language that getting it wrong in a movie is rude.

Kindly ignore these f***tards if you ever aspire to learn the language (not that many do, BECAUSE of said f***tards. Also German sounds ugly as hell). As a German-American dual citizen, I reserve the right to criticize the hell out of both for what I see as faults, and this right here encompasses one of the faults with German culture pretty damned well. So much ego, so much anal retentive whining over trivial crap....

Better yet, just link one of these uptight a-holes to vids like this and ask why Germans are so rude as to not learn common english phrases as they're commonly spoken:

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

As an Australian, I used to not care at all about Thanksgiving - it may have been the most important day of the year for some people, but for me, it was Thursday. But then last week, Amazon announced free shipping to Australia (when paying by Amex), so now I get to freely indulge in this wonderful "Black Friday" tradition of yours. So now Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday of all.

P.S. I had a KFC Zinger burger on Thursday. That's the closest I'll get to eating turkey.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Family is great, alchohol is great, you guys are great. Happy thanksgivinbg. 

Any typos are due to inebriation...

No I'm not drunk, **** you

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif