What you did today

Rosbjerg

Bah, who needs the sun. This time change is irritating, I'd prefer to come to work in darkness and go home to some light.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, mine looks like a debutante's dance card.

Enticing yet vague?

I was thinking "filled with random"

Poor week at work, really feeling the pressure to finish a lot both now and over the next month... And not getting that much done. I want to use these people as references in the future, so the "exit" is crucial...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've got to visit the Scandinavian countries someday. Or anywhere in Europe for that matter. I've been to many places in east Asia, Central America, and even Africa but haven't been anywhere in Europe or Australia yet. Seeing the pics you guys post and hearing you guys talk about it makes me want to go.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I hate this country.

Yes its called privilege blindness and is not uncommon for people who live in first world countries. You think you have a really bad deal with your governments and social situation, but in fact you don't :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to two cast members of the Smurfs:

I hate this country.

29ftvft.jpg

And...

Yes its called privilege blindness and is not uncommon for people who live in first world countries. You think you have a really bad deal with your governments and social situation, but in fact you don't original.gif

1693lo7.jpg

• Like 4

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to two cast members of the Smurfs:

I hate this country.

29ftvft.jpg

And...

Yes its called privilege blindness and is not uncommon for people who live in first world countries. You think you have a really bad deal with your governments and social situation, but in fact you don't original.gif

1693lo7.jpg

Smurfs are cute

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Did you really just tell someone to check their privelege in the current atmosphere? That's going to go over well. I salute your bravery. :lol:

Yes I did :)

My advice is before you  think how terrible it is living in a first world country you should see how the rest of the world lives.

Is it an unreasonable comment from me?

John Milton 

I didn't really mean anything by it, I was just making a joke, but if you want to get into it:

It's always my opinion that two wrongs don't make a right and it feels rude to me for someone to go "your problems don't matter because other people have bigger problems so you should appreciate what you have*" and I felt that was what was happening in this case since HoonDing didn't give enough information to make a value judgement. Even if you read into it, the only thing I can read from his post is a feeling of disappointment in his country which is an emotional response to how a country compares to hopes and expectations which would make this another case of you jumping in and shaming someone for what their emotional response is.

Here's an example of why I think that argument is rude and dishonest at its very core, and this is one from my personal experience. One of my friends in primary school was a kid who got beaten by his dad on a regular basis, and the way he internalized that problem as being "okay" is because his dad would berate him to say that child soldiers in war torn, third world countries had it better and that he should appreciate the better life his dad had made for him and he bought into that. Does that seem better to you? Because this is pretty analogous to the argument you're making.

Everybody knows third world countries have it bad. It requires no pointing out. But it doesn't cancel out other problems and it isn't some kind of "blindness" of privelege. Pretending a smaller problem isn't something that needs to be solved or something you can feel disappointed or disillusioned by because bigger problems exist is fundamentally wrong, because all problems are problems and a person can only look through a filter of their own experiences and goals.

Another hypothetical that I'm just making up: What if HoonDing said he hates his country because, oh, I don't know, his dad is dying and he just found out that the treatment that could have saved him isn't covered by his insurance and costs a fortune because his country has privatized health care. You just told him he's just blind to the problems of others because he's priveleged. That seem like a good thing?

So yes, I think it's a pretty unreasonable comment in this case. You don't have any information to go on and just marginalised someone else's problems and opinion. You just jumped in there with it, unprovoked. And let's not even get into the offensive implications that the term blindness carries in the first place.

• Like 3

I didn't really mean anything by it, I was just making a joke, but if you want to get into it:

It's always my opinion that two wrongs don't make a right and it feels rude to me for someone to go "your problems don't matter because other people have bigger problems so you should appreciate what you have*" and I felt that was what was happening in this case since HoonDing didn't give enough information to make a value judgement. Even if you read into it, the only thing I can read from his post is a feeling of disappointment in his country which is an emotional response to how a country compares to hopes and expectations which would make this another case of you jumping in and shaming someone for what their emotional response is.

Here's an example of why I think that argument is rude and dishonest at its very core, and this is one from my personal experience. One of my friends in primary school was a kid who got beaten by his dad on a regular basis, and the way he internalized that problem as being "okay" is because his dad would berate him to say that child soldiers in war torn, third world countries had it better and that he should appreciate the better life his dad had made for him and he bought into that. Does that seem better to you? Because this is pretty analogous to the argument you're making.

Everybody knows third world countries have it bad. It requires no pointing out. But it doesn't cancel out other problems and it isn't some kind of "blindness" of privelege. Pretending a smaller problem isn't something that needs to be solved or something you can feel disappointed or disillusioned by because bigger problems exist is fundamentally wrong, because all problems are problems and a person can only look through a filter of their own experiences and goals.

Another hypothetical that I'm just making up: What if HoonDing said he hates his country because, oh, I don't know, his dad is dying and he just found out that the treatment that could have saved him isn't covered by his insurance and costs a fortune because his country has privatized health care. You just told him he's just blind to the problems of others because he's priveleged. That seem like a good thing?

So yes, I think it's a pretty unreasonable comment in this case. You don't have any information to go on and just marginalised someone else's problems and opinion. You just jumped in there with it, unprovoked. And let's not even get into the offensive implications that the term blindness carries in the first place.

Valid points raised, I suppose I should have asked " why he hates his country "

Hoonding why do you hate your country ?

John Milton 

Did you really just tell someone to check their privelege in the current atmosphere? That's going to go over well. I salute your bravery. :lol:

We could really start privilege checking by how the social justice warriors are all about bringing up and dominating the discussion with white people's problems.

partially Jokey_Smurf.png, but I also often wonder about it.

We could really start privilege checking by how the social justice warriors are all about bringing up and dominating the discussion with white people's problems.

partially , but I also often wonder about it.

Do SJW really bring up only white peoples problems, I always though the movement was much broader than that and included minorities ?

John Milton 

I hate this country.

One should not feel okay if one is being beaten with a wooden bat rather than a steel one.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Do SJW really bring up only white peoples problems, I always though the movement was much broader than that and included minorities ?

Mostly seems to be about white people minorities. And women, who somehow manage to pass themselves as a minority, even though they're actually a majority.

But, to get back on track, was assisting at a police hearing and flirted shamelessly (back and forth) with the cute recently-moved-to-the-area female cop. I THINK that my client was too distraught to notice. My **** is going to get me in serious trouble one of these days.

• Like 2

Mostly seems to be about white people minorities. And women, who somehow manage to pass themselves as a minority, even though they're actually a majority.

But, to get back on track, was assisting at a police hearing and flirted shamelessly (back and forth) with the cute recently-moved-to-the-area female cop. I THINK that my client was too distraught to notice. My **** is going to get me in serious trouble one of these days.

Hey you are a young healthy male. That's like getting mad at a compass for pointing north!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Minority status can be dependent on the situation.  For example, I am a minority in my profession as a male teacher.

I don't think I could ever do that job.

Thomas Sowell

Hey you are a young healthy male. That's like getting mad at a compass for pointing north!
indeed. And there would be something inherently rewarding in screwing a cop for a change... :D
  • Like 3

Minority status can be dependent on the situation.  For example, I am a minority in my profession as a male teacher.

I don't think I could ever do that job.

You teach us stuff all the time!   :biggrin:

I was working a job last year planning and installing wi-fi in public schools here in TN, mostly middle schools, and I think it is something of a minor miracle when all of these kids actually find their way to their next class and their teacher manages to hold their attention for the full 50 minutes. I don't know how much they are paying you but it ain't enough.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

partially Jokey_Smurf.png, but I also often wonder about it.

That certainly explains the dislike my minority friends have for them, that and being lectured on how Mexicans hating black people isn't racist.

Anyways I'm off today and got some exercise. I'm going to do some reading, play some vidya, and likely get drunk.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My **** is going to get me in serious trouble one of these days.

Case? You mean case? Is it hard, or just too long ... stop making motions for extension.

I can't think of anything witty, so I'll just go with that you haven't lived until you've seen the butt of a female triathlete.

In a non-objectifying way, of course.

• Like 1