Why can't we have a "normal" beta?

*Hiro Protagonist II tries to strike the point... but misses!*

Just... don't even worry about it. It's really not worth it. Just pretend no one ever said anything, and enjoy life.

Lephys always misses the point. If only you could take your own advice.

He has a bit of a point though. Any plot holes or dialogue/quest bugs/problems with character story progression won't be caught this way, it's all systems testing.

But then again by the time the game is released we'd all be sick of replaying the first part surely. I know I can't stand playing Irenicus' dungeon ever again (thank you modders for Dungeon Be Gone!). 

Oh, so we need to test plot holes in the dialogue and story from level 1? LOL.

Yep. Point. Missing it. Ah well, nevermind.

• Like 1

Ah well, nevermind.

This the most productive thing you can say to Hiro once he's released his Bankai, known only as "LOL!"

:)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yep. Point. Missing it. Ah well, nevermind.

So what we should be concentrating on plot holes, dialogue options and story progression? Yep, your point is not found.

This the most productive thing you can say to Hiro once he's released his Bankai, known only as "LOL!"

:)

Still trolling I see. And didn't take your own advice.

Well I think Obisidian has done what they should!

Backer Beta only tests core gameplay features, nothing storylinerelated, as IT´S NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY! The storyline isn´t something we would be able to change NOR should be able to change at all!

That´s how you do an early BackerBeta! Doesn´t spoil anything, but they can get valueable feedback regarding combat mechanics!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

feels more like an alpha, right?

Way to prove most gamers have no idea of what Alpha and Beta mean...
  • Like 3

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Man if it was about having a taste of the game, they'd call it a demo, but it's about testing its mechanics and system in order to finish it, so they called it a beta, which it is.
It's not Obsidian's responsability if pretty much everybody these days release a finished game and call it a beta for hype purposes and open it for everybody. Dota 2 got released a few months ago if i'm not mistaken, I've no idea why it was considered a beta for so long but whatever.

Way to prove most gamers have no idea of what Alpha and Beta mean...

Not their fault, with all the well finished games released and flagged "beta" these last years.

• Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Developers do internal testing each step of the way.  Beta testing is to check for bugs and problems.  By having Backers test the game the devs can learn how it plays on different machines.  Hopefully fix any problems that arise.    I have no idea what a "normal" beta is.  I leave it is up  to the devs to know and decide what they need to find out.  Obsidian is an experienced developer with people dating back to the IE games.  They know a lot more about what they are doing than I do.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Why would we have any faith in Obisidian's 'internal testing' given their track history. Not to mention Avellone can't even get past the first 30 minutes of Arcanum and the backer 'beta' was released in a pre-pre alpha state. 

There is no way the stronghold isn't going to be completely broken without proper public testing.

• Like 1

Why would we have any faith in Obisidian's 'internal testing' given their track history. Not to mention Avellone can't even get past the first 30 minutes of Arcanum and the backer 'beta' was released in a pre-pre alpha state. 

There is no way the stronghold isn't going to be completely broken without proper public testing.

Why does every game require public testing? Because of their size and complexity? Screw public or open betas.

I agree Obsidian's track record is shaky at best in QA but that's their call to make, not yours.

Obsidian is 100% responsible for this game and not restricted by publisher time restraints.  They are aware that we backers want a bug free game and that we will be upset if we don't get one that is reasonably bug free.    No broken quests and things that work the way they they are supposed to.   I am sure they will be testing this game carefully each step of the way if for no other reason that their rep is on the line.  If they deliver a bug free game they can thumb their nose at developers from here to Oblivion.

nakia_banner.jpg

Backer beta was released in beta state, which means state where developers call their product beta. Different developers have different criteria when they call their product to be in beta state. What people that aren't developers of said product should take from terms like release candidate, beta, alpha and pre-alpha is that they don't think that product is yet fully finished and if you want know more specific what they think that they still need to do, you should read their definitions, as they are only definitions that actually can give you some hints in what developers think their product will still need before they claim that it is finished.

• Like 2

OP, what you're proposing is a demo. Not a beta.

Actually, technically a Beta is the real game with the almost finished content. The BB *is* the demo. 

• Like 1

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

Beta is a state thats ready for a public test run.

Alpha is the state where such a public test run would not be very functional yet.

These are one thing.

Demo is a very small part of the content of the game.

Full game is all of the content.

Thats a second thing.

Backer beta is both a demo and a beta.

Point of the backer beta is to test systems / content etc and help improve the game. I have only been doing testing, I have not played the beta to enjoy the content.

Just for asking but couldnt you be doing that without "paying" for  the acces to the Beta , if they made it public ?

Actually, technically a Beta is the real game with the almost finished content. The BB *is* the demo. 

True, with a caveat: what developers consider "almost finished content" can vary greatly according to the project and project structure.

Alpha\Beta are more "guidelines" than actual rules. 

Pre-pre alpha however would probably be "programmers, game designers and producer sitting at a table deciding the game engine to use".

• Like 2

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Backer beta was released in beta state, which means state where developers call their product beta. Different developers have different criteria when they call their product to be in beta state. What people that aren't developers of said product should take from terms like release candidate, beta, alpha and pre-alpha is that they don't think that product is yet fully finished and if you want know more specific what they think that they still need to do, you should read their definitions, as they are only definitions that actually can give you some hints in what developers think their product will still need before they claim that it is finished.

People should read this or reread it.  

Many games never have a "public" beta but use professional beta testers.  Publishers and developers keep things private on purpose and just give out hints and teasers.  Occasionally the public is invited to apply to test a game and those accepted usually have to pledge silence.  .    

nakia_banner.jpg

Speaking by definitions, BB is a somewhat strange mix of aplha, beta and demo versions.

Calling it "Beta" isn't right, but it needs to be called something people would understand, yes?

Anyway main game gonna require a lot of testing too, and not only by Obs' QA. I just hope that testing will be done before release date, not after.

Edited by Yellow Rabbit
  • Like 1