Update on the Update

BAdler

I'd still love to be a game designer. Even knowing how ragged you guys are run. Unfortunately, my Accuracy is 5, and Game Design's Deflection is 1,000. I need to level up a bit. 8P

I wish it was something you could apprentice, like blacksmithing or sorcery.

@BAdler,

Just know that we are eternally (see what I did there?) grateful for how hard you work, especially when it comes to getting us a final beta build in the midst of the maelstrom that must be The Final Weeks Before Launch.

We owe it to you guys. I know it sounds like a broken record, but I really do appreciate the hard work that the backer beta testers do for us. There have been quite a few changes and bugs fixed based on your efforts.

• Like 4

This testing will impact the Day 0 patch. Go hard or go prone.

I hope it will, if they aren't already busy with other stuff for the Day 0 patch. I just don't know how bad they are behind schedule.

Just to give you guys a bit of insight, we are currently working on a reviewer patch. After that is wrapped up, everyone will be focused on the day one patch.

• Like 3

We owe it to you guys. I know it sounds like a broken record, but I really do appreciate the hard work that the backer beta testers do for us. There have been quite a few changes and bugs fixed based on your efforts.

Well, that must mean we sound like a skipping CD player when we still can't tell you enough how much we appreciate it. I've pulled many an all-nighter in art classes in college, and that didn't even involve code, or the public, or business transactions, etc. So, I just don't think there's enough thanks in existence to say "seriously, thank you for not getting to go home when you were supposed to, and for suffering through all the negative to achieve the positive with this project." 8D

Also, I'm too much of a slowpoke to actually find a bug before it's already been reported 73 times, but everyone else has been pretty great. original.gif

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Just got 1,2 Gb patch, let's see whats there

Keep in mind that because of how the Unity build process interacts with the Steam patching process it isn't actually 1.2 GB of changes. I think that because the build process creates brand new files every build Steam is unable to tell which files are changed from the previous build. I don't think there is much we can do about that.

@BAdler you haven't given reviewers much time to finish the game

Bad reviewers (i.e., most of them) will rush through and post something on release day for the CLIKS.

Responsible reviewers wait for release code and post a review the following week.

@BAdler you haven't given reviewers much time to finish the game

True, but we felt it was important to add in some additional usability/tutorial/feedback items backed on a mock review that we received. Even if folks have a compressed timeline (or fewer day one reviews) I think it will be better in the long run.

I want to say thanks in this thread for the voice volume slider, which I think was mentioned earlier wouldn't make it into the original release but was to be added in a patch. :) So thanks a lot. I'll leave the criticisms for other threads ;)

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

That's what I mean - they give no room for dynamic range. For me the same volume as 50% is like 12% or something.

Sounds like the sliders are changing the volume linearly, as opposed to logarithmically. Sound is measured (and perceived) in a log (power of 10) scale. That's why turning the volume down from 100% to 10% on their slider makes it sound half as loud (gg on the numbers, your perception was on the money).

That's surprising.

• Like 2

just out of curiosity, I've seen some dev's posting about playing the game and they're on version 488 I think currently. Was the version the folks reviewing the game the same version of the 480 BB, or was it slightly newer, and are they getting a patched version before the release date to have a fair opportunity to write on stuff that may have been addressed?

Also, how many folks internally are testing the Mac and Linux versions vs the PC? It seems like there are specific bugs on those other versions not being reported elsewhere which is good I guess that they're being caught, though I suspect there are quite a lot more folks testing on the PC.   

• Like 1