Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update on the Update

Update

• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Just giving you guys a heads-up, we will try to put an update out some time next week. Not sure on the day yet, but we will probably shoot for Wednesday.

• Starwars, iZerw, wjbaird and 6 others like this

Lord Wafflebum

Lord Wafflebum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer

Sweet. I think we'd all love to hear what you guys learned from your play week!

• forgottenlor, Marky, Stilpon and 1 other like this

Quantics

Quantics

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts

How on earth do you think change in the world occurs in the first place? Do you think you need to ask someone else's permission ?

See: Recovery time pause while moving.

I’d rather invest my time in feedback that’s actually going to be taken into account, rather than going on ideological crusades about aspects of the game which are already set in stone in the devs' mind.

I appreciate you don't function that way. You have very strong opinions about RPGs, and currently lots of time on your hands to voice them. 

It's not my case. I'm only a casual player, and I am happy to contribute where I've been asked to. 

But to be honest, I don't even know what we're arguing about. Even you said you would adapt your suggestions based on JS's feedback, didn't you?

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
Not sure which cases you're talking about really. There's one topic I haven't made a formal post about yet.

Edited by Sensuki, 14 November 2014 - 06:42 PM.

wjbaird

wjbaird

Photogeek of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just giving you guys a heads-up, we will try to put an update out some time next week. Not sure on the day yet, but we will probably shoot for Wednesday.

That's great!  Will you be updating Mac at the same time?   I've been trying to play a bit - but it hangs so often it's hard to get very far.

Any targets yet for a linux beta?

• virgi26 likes this

virgi26

virgi26

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

yes, any update on linux?

AlekzanderZ

AlekzanderZ

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wednesday! update. I can't wait.

Gairnulf

Gairnulf

Cynical Master Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 978 posts

Wednesday! update. I can't wait.

Don't get your hopes up too soon, they only said "we are shooting for Wednesday" ;)

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3009 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

They better not miss! :)

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Last time probably could have used an extra day or two to fix some silly bugs. No need to make the same mistake this time either.

Clean&Clear

Clean&Clear

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, can we get another update on the update please? No need to release today, just let us know what the situation is! Been anticipating this one a lot. :)

Edited by Clean&Clear, 19 November 2014 - 09:14 AM.

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Last time probably could have used an extra day or two to fix some silly bugs. No need to make the same mistake this time either.

Eh, but they already got an entire week extra.

The original plan was to release a patch last week which got postponed.

Clean&Clear

Clean&Clear

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's better to postpone something three times than to release a buggy version. I know, it's a beta, it's expected to be buggy, but after 3 months it would be nice to get to testing a build without gamebreaking bugs.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Be nice to get some proper patch notes for a change too ;)

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's better to postpone something three times than to release a buggy version. I know, it's a beta, it's expected to be buggy, but after 3 months it would be nice to get to testing a build without gamebreaking bugs.

Just like the first post, this line of thought already assumes that a) this Patch has such bugs and b) that these would be easily preventable with a couple days extra.

Not to mention that if it's always okay to take some more time, then where does it stop? And which bugs are the unacceptable ones that shouldn't reach the public? As long as PoE hasn't reached the release candidate stage there will always be some optimisation to be done, some bug to be squashed or a new feature to be implemented just some mere days away.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

v333 was the buggiest patch since v257 IMO. That's why. I reported 65 bugs/issues this patch alone - they probably knew about a lot of or most of them, but the majority were new to v333 bugs.

The double click bug was annoying, I had to delete it from the game code just to play properly.

Edited by Sensuki, 19 November 2014 - 12:54 PM.

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

QA ran through the build this morning. It was pretty good, but there was an odd problem with quitting out to the main screen. I asked programming to fix it and we just finished rebuilding. QA is going to do another few runs. If everything checks out I will toss up a new build before I head out for the night.

As for Linux and Mac... unfortunately no update. We have diverted almost all of our programming resources back to cleaning up the base game that is used on all platforms. The Linux problem is a bug with Unity that likely won't be fixed for a while, so we are going to have to rework how resources are handled on Linux. It is not a trivial task and will take a good amount of programming time to complete. For Mac, we are still investigating the problems we are seeing, but like I mentioned before the base game is a higher priority right now. I will let everyone know when that changes.

• Labadal, aeonsim, Sensuki and 11 others like this

wjbaird

wjbaird

Photogeek of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

For Mac, we are still investigating the problems we are seeing, but like I mentioned before the base game is a higher priority right now. I will let everyone know when that changes.

Makes sense.   Will you be posting a new mac build with the base game improvements in it, even if it doesn't fix any of the mac specific issues?

BAdler

BAdler

Lead Designer

• Developers+
  • -9930 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

For Mac, we are still investigating the problems we are seeing, but like I mentioned before the base game is a higher priority right now. I will let everyone know when that changes.

Makes sense.   Will you be posting a new mac build with the base game improvements in it, even if it doesn't fix any of the mac specific issues?

The fix didn't take so we are currently rebuilding the Windows build. If that works, we might still be able to get the build up tonight.

Mac build probably won't go up until we can solve the problem with Yosemite. Good news is that we were able to pull another programming resource that is not on Eternity to look into the Mac problems. Hopefully we can figure out the issue and get you guys a new build soon.

Shevek

Shevek

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1164 posts

*fingers crossed*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users