PoE Suggestions\Question\Wishlist

I apologize right now for the incoming wall of text, especially considering I am not a backer (not my fault, however, I have to say).

Most of what I write is based off the excellent Pillars Wiki + speculation, lots and lots of speculation.

From what I've read until now, I've liked a lot the Spellbind mechanic and the sustained abilities, although I've seen no mention of spells being sustainable :p

1. there are only 4-5 monster types. will it be considered\mod-friendly to add more, and\or more races? does each monster\race get treated differently by abilities (like, Elf slaying sword?). Noticed also no undead.

2. is there a chance for animated\glowing equipment pieces\models in general, including architecture?

3. Are planned any Blink\Teleport spells, for both combat and non-combat purposes?

4. item types are already many. but, for weapons and armor, could you consider adding the implementation of a Material system (perhaps via keyword, not unlike the Elder Scrolls) that could also be exploited for special pieces of equipment\abilities (damage is cut in half unless the weapon is soffused with souls, for example)

5. I've seen mention of Aura spells: how much can we expand upon them? can they be made sustainable (on\off toggle)?

6. Is there a reason for the spell per day routine rather than having Mana? any chance to expand on this part of the ruleset, say, spell recharge? similar to Unearthed Arcana?

7. I've seen no mention of Item Sets (similar to Dragon age\Diablo)? they could also exploit more advanced Somnium mechanics (spell is granted only when the full set is equipped)

8. why the Level 12 cap? will this be expanded (mod-friendly)? does each class get its XP progression? are also attributes and battle values like will\defense capped, and if so, can we remove the cap?

9. New status effect idea: Zombie\Forsaken\Cursed. Poison damage heals while healing items\magic harm.

10. in this game, attributes are very important. are there ways to cripple\drain\damage them, in a semi-permanent way, in combat?

11. I've noticed that items have a charge. will we also encounter artifacts with unlimited charges?

12. Is there an in-game codex with a bestiary, where all lore information is added when you find it?

13. seen no mention of Multi-hit (frame-synced) or multi-elemental abilities, are they in fact present/mod friendly?

14. I've already seen a lot of party banter. I wonder, however, how deep this will be and if it can lead to disaster like in the BG games (crisis points, in-party fights)? or there are too few companions to allow that?

15. are more classes\multiclass options planned in the future? when the level cap will be higher, perhaps?

16. Any chance to see puzzle boss encounterS? like, "Barrier change"  or "weak point" or even this one?

17. I've seen attributes influence damage and AoE of abilities, but not the range. could this be applied to that too, if we wanted? also, can we set a cap on how high these bonuses can go? (a cap, or a lack of it mind me..)

18. actually, a couple more operators to consider, perhaps, in order to create customized damage formulas, if it will be possible at all...
*user level
*target level
*pieces of equipment on target
*time spent playing (hours-minutes)
*number of active\passive abilities learned
*global number of enemies killed
*number of enemies BELONGING to a certain type killed
*number of spell remaining
*Current target HP
*Max target HP
*Current user HP
*User Max hp - Current hp
*attribute sum\average

a couple examples of new formulas...
(flat value * Target level)
(hours played * flat value) + minutes

19. What is the status of time magic in this game? Slow, Haste, Stop, Time Stop spells and the like?

20. we have defence throws, but I've not seen damage reduction\immunity\resistance to any type of element nor from magic as a whole, even conditional (like, only from soul-bound weapons will damage be full). is this going to change in the future, or be more mod-friendly?

21. how sophisticated is AI going to be? will we be able to exploit conditions like Hp percentage and others?

22. no mention of necromancy nor of real summoned creatures. I've seen animal companions, but they're not quite the same, and familars have been removed. is there an explanation?

23. why not make it possible to exploit more weather conditions, type of ambient, and day\night cycle?

24. I've noticed the status "petrified": will there be combo attacks good to exploit negative statuses, like "critical hit shatters petrified characters?"

25. Similar to the Dragonlance campaign, there is little mention of healing spells. will we see them more in the future?

26. since levelling is so limited right now, are there plans for "template systems", similar to D&D, in order to enhance our characters without levelling up? stackable too, under certain conditions

27. can we see in the future upgradeable passive abilities (when there will be more levels), who perhaps are also in synergy with each other and act in a way similar to metamagic?

28. Any chance of seeing concentration-like spell, in addition to the activated\passive\sustained types we've seen until now? spells, like those ray spells I've seen, with a duration (and damage) dependant on a variety of factors like user level?

29. Any chance to see in the future real shapeshifting with customized abilities for the form in which you shapeshift?

30. is there a real alignment system?

whew. sorry, it's the third time I try to post this but the browser has always played some nasty pranks on me....
Edited by Dark_Ansem
In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Not enough time to answer them all but I'll mention the ones that I know off-hand:

Wiki is a little behind on some info apparently:

1.  There are a lot more than 5 monster types, also plenty of undead (PoE has its own take on undead but there are zombie and skeleton types as well as more recent undead 'Fampyr' - not exactly vampires but feeding off living flesh to survive)

2. I don't know if any is planned but it's possible in the engine.

6. Spells per rest/encounter are based around the Vancian system of the IE games but improved without the need to pre-select spells (so more like D&D sorcerers but with added per-encounter spells).  As you level-up you'll be able to cast more spells per-rest/encounter and some per-rest spell-levels may become per-encounter.

We like it that way for the IE-feels.

8. Baldur's gate originally had a level 6 cap (or something) expanded to 8 or 9 with the TOTSC expansion.  PoE will have an expansion released in the future which should extend the level-cap.  (We're also hopeful of a sequel but that'll depend on how sales of PoE go).

12.  There is a bestiary, defeating certain numbers of enemies will enable you to fill it out (possibly other ways too).

14.  There should be lots of party interaction, not sure it'll go as far as party-breaking fights but some NPCs may not get along well.

15. Not sure they'll allow multi-classing in the future - more classes might be added, but I'd prefer that to be the case only if it's something unique and fun.

25. There are spells to restore endurance but not 'health' (though apparently the latest build had talents that could do it) - this was lore-based, no healing magic - but a good rest will refill the health-bar.

---

In general, it will be mod-friendly (though will have no tool-kit a la NWN - more like IE games).  So custom classes/NPCs/Quests should be addable.

---

that's all I've got time for for now ;)

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

thanks a lot :p

damn, I wish I could have backed and beta now, seeing all this myself.

6. feels like a bit of 4th edition...

8. then I guess I am missing something about level cap: isn't level 12 as, in actual 12, the maximum level possible? in BG1 you couldn't go higher than level 6? I'm pretty sure you could in BG2...

planning already a sequel? how about instead supporting this one like NWN has been, but better, without the bugs left every patch?

15. well, if not multi-classing, more high-level rewards, perhaps?

25. damn, suckered by outdated info :D

updated the main post...

^6. yes, I think they took some ideas from 4th edition too.

^8. Yes, in BG2 the level cap (with TOB) went up to 40 - but that was a high level campaign and a continuation from BG1 - BG1 was only 6-9 (ish)

The developers need to put in content for each level so there's a cap - in this case, level 12 - more can be added in the expansion/sequel if they desire.

The sequel isn't being worked on - it's more like an ideal future if PoE sells well enough to fund a sequel.

It may be in the BG->BG2 style (continuing main char's story) or simply an IWD->IWD2 style (new story in same engine).

The expansion is planned but no work has started on it yet (AFAIK) so we've no idea what it will add.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

29. We suggested this early on - not sure if it's being considered but it would be cool to have a spider-form that can shoot webs or a plant form that can root into the ground and draw strength or ....

30. There's no alignment system a la DND (Law-Chaos / Good-Evil) but there's a reputation system - you could be loved by one faction yet despised by another.  You may get a reputation in one town for being an arrogant jerk but have a reputation in another for being generous / whatever.

• Like 1

1. There are more than 4-5 monster types. There shall be more still.
  2. Yes.
  3. Combat only teleport spells exist, but typically with a component where the caster switches locations with another actor.
  4. Already exists. See DT & DR.
  5. Unknown. Not sure I understand the question.
  6. Tradition. Differentiation of resource mechanic to distinguish class. Spell Points/Mana would work much better in PoE.
  7. None known of currently. Reasonable to expect.
  8. Allow room for sequels and expansions. Probably also keeps scope more manageable.
  9. Eh?
  10. Yes.
  11. More likely to be limited to per day use.
  12. I haven't seen it, though there shall be.
  13. They do exist, and should be easily moddable.
  14. Yes.
  15. Expansions and any sequels.
  16. There is a chance, but hopefully the will posses greater depth than that.
  17. Not likely.
  18. ...
  19. Minimal. Don't expect much.
  20. Total immunity will be very rare and tragically brief, if it exists at all.
  21. I'm hoping for SCS I/II level. That's going to be a wild-card really.
  22. No summoned creatures. Yet another major facet of spellcasting/magic reviled by Mr. Sawyer.
  23. Would be lovely, but not a priority. Moddable.
  24. Yes. Very many.
  25. Unlikely, at least in the way of healing base health or resurrection.
  26. Not likely.
  27. Possible.
  28. Not likely.
  29. Possible for the Druid, but exclusively so.
  30. No.

• Like 1

wow thanks for the list, I shall expand on those things you said.

added point 31 tho :p any idea on that?

damn where is the edit button?

one thing tho: when you say "not likely" you mean not likely official or not even likely to be moddable?

32. speaking of component, does spellcasting require actual material\somatic components like D&D or it's more traditional, only energy? no "pinch of ashes" to cast a fireball, in short.

4. what are DT & DR?

5. the question is: since aura spells exist and since toggleable (sustained, similar to Dragon Age Healing Aura\Blood Magic) abilities exist, will it be possible to add a toggleable Aura spell? or a Passive aura ability?

6. I agree with you. I'd love to see the spells per day complemented by a Mana system, rather than just this D&D -like one. Developers, input on this?

8. that's only part of the answer :p can we uncap those values?

9. that's actually a suggestion for a new status effect :p

11. but still possible to have unlimited uses?

13. really? I haven't found one at all in the Wiki...

17. why not likely? it's not exactly that far of a jump, considering the actual mechanics...

18. heh, I can understand that. still, I believe more operators for formulas and, in general, the possibility of using customized formulas adds a lot of depth and variety. You really don't like ANY of them?

19. there's still hope for expansions and mods...

20. why do you say that?

21. I don't understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

22. that sucks. have the mechanics been locked down in this regard?

23. Glad you think so :D

24. really? again, no mention as such in the wiki

25. are those mechanics hard-coded at all? seems like a very grim fantasy world...

26. why not? it would be a sensible addition...

28. I can kinda understand that, it would be a complicated mechanic to implement. still worth a shot tho.

again, thanks a lot for taking your time to read and answer :p

21. how sophisticated is AI going to be? will we be able to exploit conditions like Hp percentage and others?

I'm hoping that the AI will continue to be fine tuned in the patch releases.

23. why not make it possible to exploit more weather conditions, type of ambient, and day\night cycle?

Movement impacts and FoW adjustments from environmental effects would be nice touches, and probably not too difficult to implement.

25. Similar to the Dragonlance campaign, there is little mention of healing spells. will we see them more in the future?

Perhaps they will become available at higher levels? I suspect they would break the current system, since it is tuned for their absence.

30. is there a real alignment system?

I sure hope not.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This is what I mean by spell recharge, btw: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargeMagic.htm

just to improve from the rest system, since I doubt I will see mana.

Although, a bit of this is already present. Wish there wasn't so much 4th edition in this game, I'd much rather prefer 5th :)

35. I've seen no wizard\priest passive/modal abilities. is that going to change?

• 2 weeks later...

36. whip weapons: awesome. indiana jones galore.

37: AoE for big weapons, like 2-handers

38: is there room for Special\Unique\Plot-given abilities and stat bonuses?

39: what about upgradeable spells, like the 5th D&D, rather than a plethora of spells?

YESSssssss! :)

39: what about upgradeable spells, like the 5th D&D, rather than a plethora of spells?

I do like the "fewer, but upgradeable spells" concept, so long as it's balls-to-the-wall extensive. When it's "Okay, upgrade the range, or damage, or maybe add one effect?" to each spell, I hate it.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

can you elaborate on point 39? :)

I mean, to drop all those "lesser stamina restore, stamina restore, greater stamina restore" in favour of a more streamlined system that allows them to be more powerful.

Although, an "extra effect" at higher levels seems also a good idea!

YESSssssss! :)

I think whip weapons are harder to implement because of the unique animations required. Plus perhaps their most effective ability is entanglement, which also requires animations, additional graphics, and special coding.

• Like 1

well, but they're developers.. they can overcome this kind of obstacles!

Of course they can, but at a cost. It's a matter of weighing the required development and testing time against the potential pay-off for a lower priority addition.

• 2 weeks later...

Multi-classing! Give us multi-classing! If not now; then add it as a feature for the expansion.

• Like 3

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

it needs to be joined to a higher level cap tho, and potentially unlimited (not like NWN, which had 3, at least 6-7).

Also, it would require newer classes, the good old "prestige" ones.

Edited by Dark_Ansem

@Namutree:

I don't think multi-classing is gonna happen at this point (I begged for it after the KS, btw). What they eventually promised is that something akin to M/C would be possible via talents but that is not the case either at the moment as character development is not nearly as open as they suggested. Still, many character classes essentially are designed as pseudo-multiclasses already (one could say that the cipher is basically a fighter/mage and the paladin is basically a marshall or a fighter/bard as it were, etc).

I would just be happy if they considered something akin to kits in the xpack or at the very least a drastic increase in class specific ability choices on level up to allow for the creation of various archetypes within individual classes.

• Like 1

Rather than multi-classing in the AD&D sense, how about if they had some racial specialty classes? These would have elements of multi-classing, but are restricted to a specific race or set of races. For example, the human adventurer, elven eldritch mage, dwarven sapper, godlike avenger, orlan scavenger, and aumaua shaman classes...