Drama and games journalism, soggy leg joint edition

Tale

Stop the harassment, you neckbearded misogynerd pieces of ****.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That's preeeeetty thin.

Who are those two? and I see no gamergate tag.

Look, dude, if pointing out that there's no inherent contradiction between a person saying she's been a gamer since forever, then responding to a question specifically asking whether she's actually playing the games she's criticizing with a no (which, by the way, is a rather dumb attitude, but that's beside the point) is wrong, then I'm not sure I want to be right.

Also, you were asking whether #GG has MRA contributors, I've provided you with the first example that jumped to my mind. I can dig around in the early 4chan logs for similar sentiments, cuz I've seen plenty, but... really, it's not an argument I want to waste any more of my precious energy on. I'm not saying #GG is solely comprised of MRAs, but going like "nah, no MRA has ever been associated with us" is also blatantly wrong.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Man, Volo is on his "A" game today. :thumbsup:

Yeah, he's back on my ignore list now. I don't want to waste even the tiny amount of time and energy required for scrolling through his posts on him and the meaningless noise he provides.

Disagreement doesn't necessarily = noise.

And I wasn't dissing him with that comment. I like watching him smack stupid posts around.

So answering with a "l0l" to pointing out that there are games outside of the ones that appear in Sarkeesian's videos is now "smacking stupid posts around". That's some pretty impressive mental gymnastics.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

That's preeeeetty thin.

Who are those two? and I see no gamergate tag.

Look, dude, if pointing out that there's no inherent contradiction between a person saying she's been a gamer since forever, then responding to a question specifically asking whether she's actually playing the games she's criticizing with a no (which, by the way, is a rather dumb attitude, but that's beside the point) is wrong, then I'm not sure I want to be right.

Also, you were asking whether #GG has MRA contributors, I've provided you with the first example that jumped to my mind. I can dig around in the early 4chan logs for similar sentiments, cuz I've seen plenty, but... really, it's not an argument I want to waste any more of my precious energy on. I'm not saying #GG is solely comprised of MRAs, but going like "nah, no MRA has ever been associated with us" is also blatantly wrong.

The point lies in sincerity, remember? How can anyone take her seriously when she makes such claims.  

Well, i can find Neo-nazis supporting the pink ribbon. That's the point i am making, no one here has claimed that gamergate is completely free of dumb*****, and the movement is not about them.

Much of this drama comes from these journalists (SJWs or not) trying to politicize games and people who they think are gamers, when games are enjoyed by everyone....well from the looks of it, except by those that criticize them for being of some -ism.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

And I had so high hopes that there would not be gamegate related tweets before I go in bed, but then Jim Sterling retweeted this

https://storify.com/EffNOVideoGames/stopgamergate-it-has-always-been-a-spin

Excellent, now we're getting somewhere. Source on those pics....?

They're form ZQ, yeah not gonna bother with that.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think the fact that #gamergate is a hash tag makes it impossible to define it as a monolithic group, as anyone can use it. I do think it is going to be around for quite a while though, as much as the bloggers seem to want it to stop they can't resist throwing fuel on the fire.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Much of this drama comes from these journalists (SJWs or not) trying to politicize games

Is how you put it, while I prefer "a rather large number of gamers objecting on principle to any kind of academic discussion about games".

I mean, if you feel your opinions and priorities don't match that of games journalists', therefore their articles offer nothing of value to you - by all means, refrain from giving them money and exposure. But decrying games journalism as "corrupted by the leftist agenda" which therefore has to be torn down leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth. Why can't we just let the free market decide whether there is enough demand for gaming websites with a SJW outlook to make them profitable?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 3

And I had so high hopes that there would not be gamegate related tweets before I go in bed, but then Jim Sterling retweeted this

https://storify.com/EffNOVideoGames/stopgamergate-it-has-always-been-a-spin

Well, her ex-bf was a lot more creative than just putting a .45 in her or something like that, if this is all true.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

She's been playing games since she was a kid. She also doesn't play the games she usually mentions in her videos. I fail to see the contradiction.

So the games she's criticised she doesn't play? Okay, lets have a look at the games she's criticised but doesn't play. A very very small selection (because I can't be bothered to list all the games) taken from her website and videos.

TRIGGER WARNING!!!

Mario Franchise

Star Fox Adventures

Popeye the Sailor

King Kong

Zelda Franchise

Dragon's Lair Franchise

Double Dragon Franchise

And other games:

Assassin’s Creed 2 (2009)

Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

Bioshock (2007)

Bioshock 2 (2010)

Dead Island (2011)

Dishonored (2012)

Dragon Age: Origins (2009)

Fable 2 (2008)

Far Cry 3 (2012)

God of War 3 (2008)

Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)

Grand Theft Auto V (2013)

Hitman: Absolution (2012)

Hitman: Blood Money (2006)

Kane & Lynch (2007)

L.A. Noire (2011)

Mafia II: Joe’s Adventures (2010)

Metro: Last Light (2013)

No More Heroes (2008)

Papo & Yo (2012)

Prototype (2009)

Red Dead Redemption (2010)

Saints Row (2006)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)

The Darkness II (2012)

The Witcher (2007)

The Witcher 2 (2011)

Thief (2014)

Watch Dogs (2014)

Karateka (1984)

Pac-Man (1980)

Crazy Otto Enhancement Kit Prototype (1981)

Ms. Pac-Man (1982)

Bubble Bobble (1986)

Adventures of Lolo (1989)

Super Monkey Ball Series

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz (2012)

Where’s My Water Series

Where’s My Water: Allie’s Story (2013)

Giant Boulder of Death (2013)

Rogue Legacy (2013)

Ms. Splosion Man (2011)

Ice Climber (1985)

Sonic the Hedgehog CD (1993)

Bit.Trip Runner Series

Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (2013)

Bomberman Series

Super Bomberman 2 (1994)

Mortal Kombat Series

Super Mario Bros. Series

New Super Mario Bros. U (2012)

Bare Knuckle III (1994) [Japan only]

Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Bros 2 (1993)

Kirby Series

Kirby’s Return to Dreamland (2011)

Super Punch-Out!! (1994)

Scribblenauts Series

Scribblenauts Unlimited (2012)

Army Men: RTS (2002)

Left 4 Dead 2 (2009)

Sonic Lost World (2013)

Bully (2006)

Mega Man Series

Mega Man 9 (2008)

The Wonderful 101 (2013)

Gauntlet (1985)

Crazy Taxi (1999)

EarthBound (1989)

Call of Duty: Black Ops II Zombies Mode (2012)

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (1994)

Donkey Kong Series

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (anticipated 2014)

Angry Birds Series

Angry Birds (2009)

Angry Birds Seasons – Hogs and Kisses (2011)

Mario Kart Wii (2008)

Mass Effect Series

Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Thomas Was Alone (2012)

TowerFall (2013)

Knytt Underground (2012)

ScaryGirl (2012)

Ittle Dew (2013)

Lili (2012)

Bionic Commando (2009)

Borderlands 2 (2012)

Breath of Fire IV (2000)

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (2007)

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (2003)

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (2010)

Dante’s Inferno (2010)

The Darkness II (2012)

Dead Space (2008)

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army (2006)

Double Dragon Neon (2012)

Gears of War 2 (2008)

God of War: Ghost of Sparta (2010)

The Godfather: The Game (2006)

Grand Theft Auto III (2001)

Hotline Miami (2012)

Ico (2001)

Infamous (2009)

Inversion (2012)

Kane & Lunch: Dead Men (2007)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)

MediEvil 2 (2000)

Ninja Gaiden 3 (2010)

Pandora’s Tower (2011)

Prey (2006)

Resident Evil 5 (2009)

Shadows of the Damned (2011)

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins (2009)

Wow! Even Pac-Man (1980)?  And Angry Birds is on that list! :lol: Damn, I played a lot of those games, even in the arcades. Gauntlet (1985) was a huge hit at the time.

Edit: Forgot to put in the trigger warning. The list might offend some people. I did notice a trigger warning on Sarkeesian's site when copy/pasting some of this.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

^Let's not forget Fallout New Vegas, which apparently encourages the player to kill scantily clad women.

^Let's not forget Fallout New Vegas, which apparently encourages the player to kill scantily clad women.

Well, it's not like if she does play it and uses her own footage, she wouldn't get accused of "purposefully playing the game in the way that wasn't intended". While if she uses other people's footage, it's obviously "she didn't even play it, how dares she talk about it like she knows anything".

"ell, it's not like if she does play it and uses her own footage, she wouldn't get accused of "purposefully playing the game in the way that wasn't intended". While if she uses other people's footage, it's obviously "she didn't even play it, how dares she talk about it like she knows anything"."

She's a lair. Why do you cotninue to spin such lies? Two videos by clearly state two different things. In one she claims she's played 'games all her life'. the other she claims 'she is not a gamer and had to do research'.. So, which is it? Either way, she lied. And, once a 'researcher' lies their 'research' can't be taken seriously.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But in all fairness, you're only killing them so you can put more clothes on them, like Jesus intended.

Oh and Jezebel is willing to pay for masturbation material.

I imagine they are getting called on that soon.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The news today I'd downright sickening...guardian showing bias, others such as jezebel basically resorting to bullying attempts, and the huffington post guy got doxxed.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The news today I'd downright sickening...guardian showing bias, others such as jezebel basically resorting to bullying attempts, and the huffington post guy got doxxed.

Wait, he seriously got doxxed for reporting on it? What the **** is wrong with those people?

They're wannabe nazis, I told you this already.   The sad part is a lot oft he most evil and vile 'feminists/SJWs' are white males. LMAO

And the craziest guy in a black group is the white guy. When you're the odd man out you have to prove yourself more than the rest.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

To Bruce from like 5 pages ago: The idea that someone need to leave the room whenever someone enters that behave poorly (instead of just ignoring them or stating that you don't condone their actions) is ridiculous, again suggest something that actually can happen, cause no one can keep track of jumping from one hashtag to another every ten seconds when a random troll types "I'll kill you lol" or the likes. I said this before and I'll say this again, if you want us to deal with harassment in others ways than we're doing, suggest ways we can actually deal with it, I'm not even asking that you hold yourself to your own impossible standards, or whatever sane standards you could possibly come up with, I'm saying that you either come up with a way we can deal with the issue that isn't worse than what we're doing, and isn't just effectively us shutting up and waiting for all trolls to vanish from the face of the earth.

You asked me a question and I gave you a perfectly reasonable answer, now you don't like my answer?

I'll explain it a different way, end of the day if you want to do something about harassment and abuse on the Internet all you can do make personal stands and make a decision on principle, you are not necessarily going to impact change but that's not the point . Because no one controls the Internet. So what does this mean? As I mentioned distance yourself from GG, but explain the reasons why when you make this break. This does not mean you are suggesting every person on GG is guilty of abuse and misogyny. But GG is tainted, so rather don't support the overall movement. You can still discuss issues with gaming journalists but what you guys fail to grasp, despite the fact I repeat it regularly, is that GG won't achieve anything because of its lack of real support from the gaming industry

And if you disagree with me then can you explain what changes GG has effectively been responsible for implementing? Because for me all it seems to do is polarize discussions?

And then going back to what else you can do. If for example you are on a website that allows bigotry, like RPGCodex, then challenge people who make homophobic, rape jokes  or anti-Semitic comments. Its not easy I know that, its much simpler just to say nothing. But once again when you make a decision around principle that becomes the salient reasons why you may or may not criticize certain comments. Never ask yourself  "what will people think of me if I say this " ? (and of course sometimes this is a consideration )

Finally the objective of challenging abusive behaviour on the Internet is also to use your discretion, so there are times where you just have to let certain comments slide.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela