Keyrock

Wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I'm in.

^And I didn't even particulary care for the comic.

Though I have to admit that I LOVED Keanu Reeve's Constantine.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I'm in.

^And I didn't even particulary care for the comic.

Though I have to admit that I LOVED Keanu Reeve's Constantine.

Keanu is no John Constantine, but it was actually a pretty good movie in its own right.

From the pilot itself, I like the subtle nods to his punk rocker roots and that Dr. Fate reference. They may not explicitly show him smoking, but he sure plays around with his Zippo a lot.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

From the pilot itself, I like the subtle nods to his punk rocker roots and that Dr. Fate reference. They may not explicitly show him smoking, but he sure plays around with his Zippo a lot.

Yeah, those were cool.

On the other hand, the magic's waaaaayyyyy too flashy, and John's not really the bastard I'd like him to be. Also, I find him kicking up such a fuss about a little girl quite hilarious, given that the comics incarnation has no qualms about chopping up a newborn with a fire axe.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

My favourite part is where he threatened someone into working with him. That was interesting. I want to see more of that.

I think the creators of this show need to take a good look at what made early House episodes so popular. This isn't a story about a hero.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Well, historically the whole thing with Astra was a major significant part of Constantine and what made him Constantine if I recall correctly.

And the original pilot had him sending her 20 blocks out of her way to see that murder scene in an attempt to manipulate her into working with him. They just flipped it since they decided the girl wouldn't work in the long run. So that was much more of the manipulative bastard aspect then comes out in the reshoot.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, historically the whole thing with Astra was a major significant part of Constantine and what made him Constantine if I recall correctly.

And the original pilot had him sending her 20 blocks out of her way to see that murder scene in an attempt to manipulate her into working with him. They just flipped it since they decided the girl wouldn't work in the long run. So that was much more of the manipulative bastard aspect then comes out in the reshoot.

Yeah, yeah.

Still, a Constantine reciting christian prayers in anything but a sarcastic voice, and groveling before an angel isn't a Constantine I'm familiar with.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Episode 2 was better than the pilot, in my opinion.  There's definitely a lot of room for improvement, but hopefully the standard rising becomes a trend.  If so, I'm in.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, I thought episode 3 was the best yet.  Still not particularly good, but at least it's progress.  At least they're starting to work in some semblance of an overarching plot and not just having a self-contained procedural every week.  Or maybe that's just the optimist in me that wants that to be the case?  If nothing else, it was good to see Papa Midnite introduced into the show.  The pacing of the show needs a lot of work, though.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I wouldn't mind if they explore further with other occult figures.

Zatanna, The rest of the Trenchcoat Brigade (Dr. Occult, Phantom Stranger), Dr. Fate, Jason Blood, Savage, etc.

And most definitely Swamp Thing.

..still, I'd like to see him bluff more, rather than be overt with his magic.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

• 2 weeks later...

So, has this gotten any better?

I watched the pilot ... keep in mind I don't read the comics so I don't have those expectations ... and mostly I found it boring. Didn't hate it - just not very interesting/attention grabbing in any way. Lead actor portrayal was kinda bleh for me but I don't know if it's the actor or the direction/script.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched the pilot ... keep in mind I don't read the comics so I don't have those expectations ... and mostly I found it boring. Didn't hate it - just not very interesting/attention grabbing in any way. Lead actor portrayal was kinda bleh for me but I don't know if it's the actor or the direction/script.

Ep 4. was a pretty decent adaptation of the very first Hellblazer story, given the limitations. John is sleazily manipulating his friend into willingly becoming a demon vessel instead of sacrificing him just because he's at hand, but otherwise it's a mostly faithful adaptation with some semi-decent horror sequences.

Ep 3. is also a step up from the quality of the godawful pilot, but then again, almost anything would have been. Still, I recommend starting with 4.

Hm. I'll try it again via eps. 4 then, thanks.

Edit: wait, maybe I should put that pic elsewhere.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's gotten steadily slightly better each episode, which is a good trend.  It's got tons of room to improve, though.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, several good things happened in tonight's episode:

• The introduction of Jim Corrigan
  • Character development for Zoe and Papa Midnite
  • This: danse4.jpg

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Hellblazer had a few dozen decent episodes. Horrendous art though, as with most Vertigo comics. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

It's good for a show on NBC.

No, it's not.

It's so bad.

Soooooooooooo bad.

Nah. I like it.

• Like 1

At this point, it's not a great show, by any stretch of the imagination, but it has improved enough from the rather poor pilot that I'm sticking with it.  It's decent enough to get me invested in it, is what I'm saying.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸