Sensuki's Let's Play Icewind Dale

Sensuki

That's not true, the enhanced addition runs way smoother and I'm glad I bought it. The easily reconfigurable key bindings+improved inventory is a big plus as well.

That a fact? Anything PoE might benefit from?
Yes! The biggest thing that the EE improved on over the original BG (other than supporting new resolutions, which is basically just an updating for modern times thing, not really a design thing) was in feedback about how player stats were calculated. In the inventory/character sheet screens, AC and THAC0 were broken down exactly into the various boni and penalties that calculated the final value. Much clearer than both the original BG and the current build of PoE, where only the final value is shown with no indication of what affects it or how it was calculated. Edited by Matt516
  • Like 4

IWD>IWD2

In what universe?

Bizarro World.

Bizarro_World_001.jpg

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It surprised me that some of the new things IWD2 offered didn't make it into BGEE (first thing which comes to mind is the much improved quick weapon slots, something that PoE has at least :D).

That's because BG:EE is basically just an installation of BGTutu with a bunch of mods. IIRC, virtually all of its new technology is stuff that was developed on the major modding sites, with various more-or-less minor updates.

And since Weimer's Icewind Gate flickered out in early development like a decade ago ... yeah.

That's not true, the enhanced addition runs way smoother and I'm glad I bought it. The easily reconfigurable key bindings+improved inventory is a big plus as well.

It's admittedly hard to justify considering I already own the originals in various other formats, but I've bought and will continue to buy the EE versions. Easy Steam install is easy.

• Like 1

With the new patch the EE version is pretty stable. And there is a new "quick loot" function. It works great. Much easier to install, than finding my old CD's and getting widescreen mod to work...

I think this will be awesome in IWD, and in fact I'm waiting to beta-test IDW:EE really soon :)

• Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

Im playing Icewind Dale too. Love the encounters. And 2nd ed. rules, of course. :)

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

The reason you always find magical swords Sensuki is cause swords are cool and other weapons suck.  Seriously, there is a reason warfare and armies centered around swords+shields, to a lesser extent spears+shields, and bows until the invention of the crossbow and ultimately gun powder based weapons.

• Like 1

Swords are pretty crap against armor though. I like swords myself, although it's nice to see other weapons being good for a change.

Uploaded in 480p because I am playing this on my 22" CRT monitor at 800x600@160HZ ;)

• Like 1

Most typical foot soldier armament through history before mass adoption of gunpowder based weapons were spear, side sword and shield. Although halberds and similar two handed weapons replaced spear and shield as main weapon when heavier armors started to become regular occurrence in battle field.  

Sword was dominant choice for civilians as side arm, because fights where civilians need weapon were usually against unarmored opponents and side sword is convenient for civilians to carry and it is very effective against unarmored opponents. 

• Like 2

Ah Icewind Dale, fantastic evocative locales, a stirring soundtrack, for me the prefect level of combat difficulty and an atmosphere that really stuck with the player long after play. Immensely enjoyable. As a GM i'd have happily set an entire campaign in and around Kuldahar.

I must admit upon first playing the Heart of Winter I was fairly sure that Wylfdene had been possessed by Kresselack, quite surprised to learn the real culprit, and to find yet another branching of Ravel.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Swords are pretty crap against armor though. I like swords myself, although it's nice to see other weapons being good for a change.

Uploaded in 480p because I am playing this on my 22" CRT monitor at 800x600@160HZ ;)

Here's the real question. Is that a CRT you bought in the day and never got rid of, or did you actually go shopping for used CRTs just to support your low-res gaming habit?

I think we all know the answer.

• Like 1

I used to play competitive FPS games and CRT monitors are way better for FPS. Only recently have they been surpassed in visual clarity with the strobing backlight 120Hz LCDs, but they still win on input lag (having pretty much none).

I used a 19" CRT for Call of Duty 2, then I got a 24" Sony GDM-FW900 CRT for Dragon Age Origins / CoD4 in 2009. The transformer on my 24" CRT died about 2 years later, so I got the 22" off a friend and then a few months later found another secondhand 24" GDM-FW900 :)

I absolutely use the 22" solely for low resolution gaming. It's great.

• Like 1

The thing is is you have no clue about mods and 90% of people don't how in the hell are you going to even be able to play IWD or BG on modern pc's? your shur not going to be abel to play it on windows 7 easily that's for sure and seanc i cant mod things ill never be able to play BG2 kits in IWD without it.   :/  im sorry ill never understand mods.    so for ME its a day 1 buy. :D :w00t::dancing:     

• Like 1

without mods your not abel tp play IDW heart of winter it just crashes and i cant play a totmic driude -being totmic in real life i REALLY wanted to try them. lol even thow all the stuff with totmic driuds is wrong lol but yea cant play IWD cant play BG1 in modern systems easily  you can but sometimes you have to mod the **** out of them to get them to work ---NO THANKS

Also how cool is it that magic weapons in dungeons correspond to the area/history of the place you explore :D

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Does the 160 Hz really matter for a 30 fps game though?

I notice the difference between 120 and 160 (but not as much as I used to when I was younger), so yes :p

Edited by Sensuki