This game looks great in every way obsidian you rock De house..

I like the backgrounds. Although I wish the game had a more top-down perspective. Too late for that though.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I think the game is pretty overall, but I agree with something Strangecat said in another thread about making some locations spookier. The spider cave was the example. Overall, I'm pleased with the look, sound, and feel. But it will take a while before I stop trying to change the camera. Of course, although I love WL2, I hate the camera rotation. Just can't win! :Cant's wry grin icom:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I like the backgrounds. Although I wish the game had a more top-down perspective. Too late for that though.

Yeah I'm not really enjoying playing in the lower camera angle. It just doesn't work very well for combat.

• Like 4

Yeah I'm not really enjoying playing in the lower camera angle. It just doesn't work very well for combat.

It seems like a bizarre decision to make the angle different. Did anyone ever complain that the very functional angle of the IE games was bad? Maybe it was for the art style or something. Not a big deal though.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

They did it to make structures look better, I don't think they considered the fact that it would cause issues with combat. It's a shame that they didn't catch it before they started doing paintovers :(

• Like 4

Yeah, the angle view is fine for me. I wish I could zoom in more. I play at 2560x1600, I can't really zoom in close at all.

You can :):

In 278, you can expand your zoom range with the SetZoomRange console command.  The default is SetZoomRange 1 1.5.  A zoom level of "1" would have the background at a one-to-one size.  A zoom level lower than "1" would be upscaling the backgrounds but might make you happier about the size of things.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67436-zooming-in/?hl=bmac&do=findComment&comment=1502712

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Not the zoom level, the angle. The camera is positioned at an axonometric angle instead of isometric and thus shorter characters disappear behind taller creatures (such as Forest Lurkers) and combat appears more muddled in general compared to a higher viewing angle.

I like close zoom levels but I don't think the angle is working properly here for gameplay.

• Like 1

Not the zoom level, the angle. The camera is positioned at an axonometric angle instead of isometric and thus shorter characters disappear behind taller creatures (such as Forest Lurkers) and combat appears more muddled in general compared to a higher viewing angle.

I like close zoom levels but I don't think the angle is working properly here for gameplay.

Exactly. The angle they've chosen is functionally inferior to the IE games. At least it's pretty. 

Made this post to naysayers the negatives on these forums.Im great full two years ago.Obsidion had the balls to stand up to publishers an say there is still a market for ie games.Baldurs gate style.I know I'll be trying different classes for years to come.Just hate some of the negativity. Guys like mal give to them..There the only devs.Besides inside making true rpgs..Long live obsidion.

• Like 1

They did it to make structures look better, I don't think they considered the fact that it would cause issues with combat. It's a shame that they didn't catch it before they started doing paintovers :(

Do you feel like they have caught it now? Knowing the developer stance on this issue would be nice, since if the camera angle is less than optimal for combat perhaps future installments could be brought back to the isometric view if OE devs are also thinking this would be better.I have no access so I really cannot personally comment on the camera angles, but from what I have read so far I think you have a focus on combat similar to mine so I am inclined to take your word for it that the angle of the camera isnt  optimal.