ktchong

ROFL. Although I know the history, on reflection I've actually seen no regulation directly with my own eyes, in Africa and the Far East.

If you're that worried about your freedoms I suggest you hop on the first plane, you poor dumb bastard,

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So Volo, being sexually unattractive is a personal adult choice then I guess, seeing as those people have no hope of employment here due to the fact that they won't even get the interview. Tough luck right?

They can always apply to another job, sure.. But then, why can't someone who wants to date their boss/teacher not just do the same?

Just kidding! Actually it's a rhetorical question because that's never going to happen.

Eh sure I guess.. I don't really see your point in regards to this discussion?

Fortune favors the bald.

There seems to be an equally staggering ignorance of the history of employment law.

Suggesting you want to work in a market where you have zero protection other than what you can provide for yourself is ...well I can only hope you never have to. You morons.

Since when being protected from abuse the same as being guaranteed a job based on some quota?

I have zero problem with companies hireing people on whatever criteria they see fit - as long as people are capable, I don't care about anything else.

That however doesn't mean the employer can do whatever he wants.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The one that I found interesting was that unpaid interns can be sexually harassed without a problem according to US law. A few cases last year where an intern tried suing for sexual harassment, but by definition of the law because they are unpaid they aren't technically employees, and thus are not covered under the regulations about sexual harassment.

Now I'm probably missing a chunk of the specifics of it, but that was the general gist that the courts handed down on the cases...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Eh sure I guess.. I don't really see your point in regards to this discussion?

Think he's the forum's resident aspie.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have zero problem with companies hireing people on whatever criteria they see fit - as long as people are capable, I don't care about anything else.

That however doesn't mean the employer can do whatever he wants.

Employer should be able to do neither more nor less than what both sides (employer and employee) agreed to in employment contract.

That is all there should be. Unfortunately the government and some organizations (like unions) constantly try to butt in between the people that actually made some agreements between them.

You sure have a lot of confidence in corporations doing the right thing at the negotiating table with employees.  

When you have a large labor pool, you are basically giving the employer the power to enslave their workforce.  Can't survive off your wage?  Want benefits?  The company will just fire you and move on to the next poor sap.

Man, the naive trust some of you have for big business is astounding.

• Like 1

You sure have a lot of confidence in corporations doing the right thing at the negotiating table with employees.  

When you have a large labor pool, you are basically giving the employer the power to enslave their workforce.  Can't survive off your wage?  Want benefits?  The company will just fire you and move on to the next poor sap.

I don't think you understand sharp ones core message, he's just a dieheart communist looking to encourage the people to give commie revolutions another try.

I don't think you understand sharp ones core message, he's just a dieheart communist looking to encourage the people to give commie revolutions another try.

No :)

He is many things but a Communist he is not. In fact he is very vociferously opposed to Communism

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Again, that is a very naive view of how employer-employee relationships work.  We have centuries of historical precedent showing that the employer will abuse the relationship if checks are not put into place.  The working class has very little leverage here.  You've already struck down the idea of them unionizing, and now you want to take away government restrictions.

I'm actually not a fan of big government, and I am very leery of unions, but they play a necessary role in balancing worker's rights versus economic progress.  The key is to have a balance of power between business, the government, and the working class.  Now you can argue that we are currently imbalanced, and I will support you in that (although I think each side has a case for getting the short stick.)    

• Like 2

I'm not sure if you are really interested in a history lesson, but here are some sources on the history of labor in the US.

http://prospect.org/brief-history-american-labor#.VCrMryldXgY

This one sides heavily with the unions, so use your critical thinking skills:

http://www.history.com/topics/labor

You can go back further, and you will find it gets much bleaker for the common worker.  You can also look to undeveloped nations to see how bad working conditions can be.  Sweatshops exist all over the world as a result of little regulation.

Edited by Hurlshot

Really?

edit:  I just mean, there are some pretty terrible events there.  I don't know, I'm fairly flabbergasted.  Do you understand how the labor pool works?

Well, to be fair at least the first ones negative events aren't really e-e abuses as much as rich company owner - cops and courts abuses.

Loving the idea you think Hurlshot's a communist. Talk about forum n00bs.

And I don't use that word lightly.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

In other news...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/21/megan-mahoney-teacher-sex_n_6022546.html

Damn, seriously. Don't know what to write other than that she is kinda hot and I'd totally let her sexually abuse me. Especially back when I was age 16. It would have been like the holy grail or something. Especially because when I was in school, our teachers had been like 100 years old.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, and when I was sixteen I thought it would be awesome to die on a hilltop somewhere wrapped in a union jack.

Wanting it doesn't make it a ****ing good idea.

-Elwood Blues

In other news...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/21/megan-mahoney-teacher-sex_n_6022546.html

Damn, seriously. Don't know what to write other than that she is kinda hot and I'd totally let her sexually abuse me. Especially back when I was age 16. It would have been like the holy grail or something. Especially because when I was in school, our teachers had been like 100 years old.

nice.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1400

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken