Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer Beta Build 301 is Live

Backer Beta Steam 301

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Wompdevil

Wompdevil

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Wompdevil
  • Xbox Gamertag:Atomicmagus
  • Steam:Wompdevil
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for the new update! Hopefully this weekend I will be able to try it out and see the changes. Keep it up!

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

OMG, I must be tired. That was supposed to be "tank" not take.

• Ignatius likes this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2703 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

OMG, I must be tired. That was supposed to be "tank" not take.

I thought so. I can see INT being less valuable, but everything else is attractive. Hell, putting 13 in everything might be a good move after all.

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Deflection is pretty good. Not necessary if you're going to be a back line caster, but you still might want the increased time to your abilities.

I still probably wouldn't want to drop it down 3.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4881 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Gaaaahhh.... can't wait to play this. Unfortunately won't be until Sunday since I'm away from my main computer...

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't see a single stat that I'd want to take, for any type of character really. Well done. I particularly like the idea of increasing attack range from perception.

Except that it's terrible for Barbarians, Fighters and Monks. Which is failing the stated design goals.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Happy to see some of Matt and Sensuki's ideas were adopted!

They weren't actually. No unique ones anyway.

Edited by Sensuki, 25 September 2014 - 10:34 PM.

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

OK, this seems to be a big list of fixed bugs and improvements! Let's see how things keep going... Thanks for this new build! Seems to be a lot of work in it ...

baddrguy

baddrguy

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I hope the game would finally begin to run on my laptop ;__;

Endrosz

Endrosz

Silent Prospector of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Steam:endrosz

Dammit, would someone bother to test the new, more complex stealth system, instead of fixating on attributes?

Thanks. ;)

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 316 posts

Excited to try the new build! Making stealth into a proper game system gives us multiple meaningful solutions to combat problems. Keep up the awesome work!

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't see a single stat that I'd want to take, for any type of character really. Well done. I particularly like the idea of increasing attack range from perception.

Except that it's terrible for Barbarians, Fighters and Monks. Which is failing the stated design goals.

Deflection seems like a pretty important stat for frontliners. The higher their deflection the less likely they'll get hit, and the more staying power they'll have, in theory at least.

Intellect: AoE Size and Deflection

Particularly for barbarians, the AoE size seems pretty important, since most of their attacks are AoEs.

Might not be a stat that I max out, but don't think I'd dump it to 3 by any stretch.

Edited by Marceror, 26 September 2014 - 05:58 AM.

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Happy to see some of Matt and Sensuki's ideas were adopted!

They weren't actually. No unique ones anyway.

The increased attack speed on Dex was direct from your paper -- even though Josh claimed to have the same revelation on the same day you shared it.

Adding deflection as a stat that can be increased by attributes, even if it ended up with attached to a different attribute (Int rather than Resolve) is something that I think you guys should get credit for.

AlperTheCaglar

AlperTheCaglar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think penalization for a given stat needs to begin below 9

Since the attribute system is an improved version of AD&D, numerical amounts matter. If 18 is the human max for a given statistic, 9 should be the average. Every increase above 9 can give %2 bonus to a maximum of %18. 19 and 20 the rare "natural" peaks give 20% and 22%.

OR

If you are keen on keeping the 10 as the average stat, then the percentages need to be increased a little bit I think.

The distinction between AD&D str 18 and 17 wasn't supposed to be just 2%. I know many people might say "this isn't AD&D"... but the simple truth is, its inspired by AD&D philosophy-- a system where numerics provides a great foundation for good roleplay.

Edited by AlperTheCaglar, 26 September 2014 - 08:17 AM.

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Since the attribute system is an improved version of AD&D, numerical amounts matter. If 18 is the human max for a given statistic, 9 should be the average. Every increase above 9 can give %2 bonus to a maximum of %18. 19 and 20 the rare "natural" peaks give 20% and 22%.

OR

If you are keen on keeping the 10 as the average stat, then the percentages need to be increased a little bit I think.

The distinction between AD&D str 18 and 17 wasn't supposed to be just 2%. I know many people might say "this isn't AD&D"... but the simple truth is, its inspired by AD&D philosophy-- a system where numerics provides a great foundation for good roleplay.

The penalization is really just cosmetic. All they did was shift were zero was over the previous system. It's still truly just an increasing bonus level from attribute value 3 on up.

• thelee likes this

Malignacious

Malignacious

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 161 posts

Bad sign; no mention at all of fixing the rottenness of the core game: everything being out of sync, poor animations, no animations, rigidness of combat, etc., etc.

They didn't even deign to post a single response about this on the main thread.

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Bad sign; no mention at all of fixing the rottenness of the core game: everything being out of sync, poor animations, no animations, rigidness of combat, etc., etc.

They didn't even deign to post a single response about this on the main thread.

They totally owe your hyperbole ridden thread a detailed response. I'm sure they've got a team of people working on that right now!

• thelee likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Adding deflection as a stat that can be increased by attributes, even if it ended up with attached to a different attribute (Int rather than Resolve) is something that I think you guys should get credit for.

I don't think so, they changed their mind due to feedback from the forums, not just us.

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2602 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

OR

I would point out that from mathematical point of view it don't matter where that line between plus and minus goes as there is still same number of points that change effect by 2%.

So difference between attribute value 1 and and 18 is same from mechanical point of view regardless how that information is represented to player.

And this isn't AD&D even if some of it's aspect has gotten their inspiration from AD&D, but I would point out that AD&D isn't only source of inspiration that game uses and that game mechanics should serve mainly game that they are in, even if that means that it breaks or goes against some preconceptions that people have towards this sort of game, as it is much more important that game has ruleset that works than that all of its parts respond to players preconceptions, because players get over their preconceptions after playing game bit, but broken ruleset is much more difficult to fix, of course it probably would be optimal if game could do both, but that is easier to say than do when you create new ruleset that don't have any direct ties to one that is compared, especially when one has to take copyrights and such in account.

• thelee likes this

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't think so, they changed their mind due to feedback from the forums, not just us.

Okay, well, you guys still led the way. I think there's at least a minor victory in here. But I appreciate your right not to see it that way. :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Backer Beta, Steam, 301

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users