48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Torment movement system in PoE

• Yes.
    • No.

The Torment:ToN video showed off a movement/animation system using irregular speed and inertia. ("improved on PoE technology, or something like that)

Maybe not for combat, but for just moving around, I would really love to see that being traded back to PoE. PoE's animations are fine, they do the job, but they look robotic and especially compared to Torment's movement, they just hurts the eyes a bit. I understand in RtWP combat these would change the mechanics too much, but for out of combat movement, they'd be wonderful to have.

It's super late in development, I realize that. But, perhaps it could be applied as a patch after release.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

when i saw the video couple a days ago i instantly liked the movement of the two chars. They were moving around so smooth like floating. I would absolutely love it if they adapted this for PoE not just for moving around but also for combat and leave it as the only movement in the game (and for that matter threw away the current movement system entirely).

The only problem I had with Torment was Nameless and company running into combat, if one wishes to stay alive, one does not run into a melee. It makes very nice brainless Hollywood action scenes, where the disciplined maniples of Rome resort to individual skimishing, but absolutely no sense. I always thought that there should be a seperate combat stance, with careful advances with implements/spells readied, shields raised and caution the order of the day.

The only exception I could think of to this would be the Barbarian, tribal warriors who rely on the charge to break their enemies line, such as the famous Highland clansmen whom broke the English/Lowlanders line at Prestonpans. The Wild Sprint ability?

Edit: Oh you mean Numenera, now I feel utterly dunderheaded, pardon me while I slap myself.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

indeed the animations were much better, and I like the fact that they move with consistency. As much as I hate traffic and wished when you were at a light when the light turned green everyone would just go at the same time, the idea of everyone running and stopping at the same time like they do in PoE is just really awkward. At the very least, there should be some easing in and easing out when moving. Not that they necessarily need such a long delay. 

I'd rather have droid army than an ice skating troupe.

I'm quite the opposite. I mean, both are admittedly bad, but I'll take grace over clunk any day. An ice skating troupe may look silly, but at least it lets you mechanically get around easily, while droid-ish movement tends to come with some amount of robot-sequence responsiveness, etc.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The movement in the Torment demo looked pretty poor to me, as if the characters were sliding across an invisible surface. I really don't understand why anybody would like that--it's too disruptive of immersion.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I'd like to.

This way, the games will look & feel more similar, despite having separate focus in a gameplay perspective.

*Plus I really liked movement in Torment !

Edited by constantine

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.