Plenty and varied sound effects FTW!

I make this topic, since I believe the sound effects will be really important for the longevity and polish of PoE.

Essentially, I don't want any flaws in this regard get overlooked or even swept under the rug.

One important aspect of making the invo shuffling not just ho-hum okay, but great, in PoE, will be the sound effects of each and every item moved and dropped into slots. In BG, all heavy weapons, armours, gems, keys, scrolls, arrows, bows, etc, etc, etc, have different sound handles and most of them sound good (I even think BG:EE has added in a few extra sounds - if not, I'm blown away of the sound array - perhaps it's added stuff from BG2).

The in-combat sounds in the BB build, however, have been extremely limited, almost placeholder all of tthem. The same goes for the invo sound effects stuff. I mean, we are supposed to play this game for hours on end - so the sounds need to be not only sufferable, but great and varying - like three effects on a gem moved, four effects of an arrow shot, five sounds for taking a hit by a blunt metal weapon, well, you get the idea.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

OE, don't be stingy on the sound effects. Many CRPGs have been over the years, and they have suffered from that decision. Actually, plenty and varied sound effects for the same actions are the cheapest and easiest way to get great atmosphere, nice polish and improved replayability of the game. If you add different animations for the same actions (which is also always nice), it's much more labour-intensive and thus expensive.

I'd love to see OE be in the forefront here and really go wild sound effects-wise, even having cast spells and such sound slightly differently, for instance.

You'll not regret it, OE!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***