Forum Titles

Marceror

I'm wondering what the inspiration behind the forum titles were. It seems to be a random list of different names for mages, with no particular sense of progression.

I just went from a magician to an enchanter when I made my 800th post. I think I was a theurgist or something prior to that.

I've seen someone with a much higher post count than me who was a "Mage" (mage/magician are effectively the same thing, aren't they?)

It doesn't seem particularly inspired. Perhaps with the release of PoE these could be changed to something that reflects that world? Perhaps increasing military ranks for one of the world's great armies, or something similar?

Just some idle musings here.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

AD&D 1st edition Magic User level titles aren't they?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

1st edition had a separate name for each level, vs. level 1, 2, 3, etc? I didn't know that. Odd.

Even if so, the progression seems random. Why is a conjurer (level 3 ) better than an evoker (level 2 ), or an enchanter (level 8 ) better than a magician (level 7). Most of these concepts simply represent different schools of magic that are generally considered equal.

Edited by Marceror

As I remember every class had a level name, don't know why, they were all fairly random.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Level Titles for AD&D (1st ed):                                           Cleric Druid Fighter Paladin Ranger MagicUser Illusionst    Thief      Assassin   Monk -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. Acolyte Aspirant Veteran Gallant Runner Prestidigitator Prestidigitator  Rogue      Bravo   Novice 2. Adept Ovate Warrior Keeper Strider Evoker Minor Trickster Footpad Rutterkin Initiate 3. Priest/Priestess Initiate of the 1st Circle Swordsman Protector Scout Conjurer Trickster Cutpurse Waghalter Brother 4. Curate  Initiate of the 2nd Circle Hero Defender Courser Theurgist Master Trickster Robber Murderer Disciple 5. Perfect Initiate of the 3rd Circle Swashbuckler Warder Tracker Thaumaturgist Cabalist Burgler Thug Immaculate 6. Canon Initiate of the 4th Circle Myrmidon Guardian Guide Magician Visionist Filcher Killer Master 7. Lama Initiate of the 5th Circle Champion Chevalier Pathfinder Enchanter Phantasmist Sharper    Cutthroat  Superior Master 8. Patriarch/Matriarch Initiate of the 6th Circle Superhero Justiciar Ranger Warlock Aparitionst Magsman  Executioner   Master of Dragons 9. High Priest/High Priestess Initiate of the 7th Circle Lord Paladin Ranger Knight Sorcerer Spellbinder Thief      Assassin   Master of North Wind 10.   Initiate of the 8th Circle     Ranger Lord Necromancer Illusionist Master Thief   Expert Assassin Master of West Wind 11.   Initiate of the 9th Circle       Wizard     Senior Assassin Master of South Wind 12.   Druid             Chief Assassin Master of East Wind 13.   Arch Druid             Prime Assassin Master of Winter 14.   The Great Druid             Guildmaster Assassin Master of Autumn 15.   The Grand Druid             Grandfather of Assassin Master of Summer 16.           Mage       Master of Spring 17.                               Grand Master of Flowers 18.           Arch-Mage        

Thanks for posting that. Trying to make slightly easier to read:

Level Titles for AD&D (1st ed):                                          

Cleric Druid Fighter Paladin Ranger MagicUser Illusionst    Thief      Assassin   Monk -----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Acolyte Aspirant Veteran Gallant Runner Prestidigitator Prestidigitator  Rogue      Bravo   Novice

2. Adept Ovate Warrior Keeper Strider Evoker Minor Trickster Footpad Rutterkin Initiate

3. Priest/Priestess Initiate of the 1st Circle Swordsman Protector Scout Conjurer Trickster Cutpurse Waghalter Brother

4. Curate  Initiate of the 2nd Circle Hero Defender Courser Theurgist Master Trickster Robber Murderer Disciple

5. Perfect Initiate of the 3rd Circle Swashbuckler Warder Tracker Thaumaturgist Cabalist Burgler Thug Immaculate

6. Canon Initiate of the 4th Circle Myrmidon Guardian Guide Magician Visionist Filcher Killer Master

7. Lama Initiate of the 5th Circle Champion Chevalier Pathfinder Enchanter Phantasmist Sharper    Cutthroat  Superior Master

8. Patriarch/Matriarch Initiate of the 6th Circle Superhero Justiciar Ranger Warlock Aparitionst Magsman  Executioner   Master of Dragons

9. High Priest/High Priestess Initiate of the 7th Circle Lord Paladin Ranger Knight Sorcerer Spellbinder Thief      Assassin   Master of North Wind

10.   Initiate of the 8th Circle     Ranger Lord Necromancer Illusionist Master Thief   Expert Assassin Master of West Wind

11.   Initiate of the 9th Circle       Wizard     Senior Assassin Master of South Wind

12.   Druid             Chief Assassin Master of East Wind

13.   Arch Druid             Prime Assassin Master of Winter

14.   The Great Druid             Guildmaster Assassin Master of Autumn

15.   The Grand Druid             Grandfather of Assassin Master of Summer

16.           Mage       Master of Spring

17.                               Grand Master of Flowers

18.           Arch-Mage                

Edited by Marceror

Oops. I went ahead and put my information into spoilers, so it would take up less screen real-estate.

What a bizarre class progression. I wonder what happened when you hit level 9 as a fighter? Would you just stop gaining experience, while your wizard and druid buddies went on to become gods?

Oops. I went ahead and put my information into spoilers, so it would take up less screen real-estate.

What a bizarre class progression. I wonder what happened when you hit level 9 as a fighter? Would you just stop gaining experience, while your wizard and druid buddies went on to become gods?

They gain still levels

Here is site that has listed all the classes and their progression from default rules and supplements

http://www.mjyoung.net/dungeon/char/step002.html

Edited by Elerond

The attorney sure sounds like a fun class! - NOT!

In general, the quality of my day seems to be inversely proportional to the number of attorneys I'm dealing with. I sure as hell don't need them in my gaming environment. :p

I love the nomenclature, it's like a little reminder of Gary Gygax when I log in. Just another reason Obsidian is the preferred destination. 

Now that's some serious nostalgia talking. :p