Backer Beta Build 278 is live

BAdler

Any idea on a date for the next patch?

1 to 2 weeks from the current one, or that is their plan at least.

I would put my money on closer to two weeks.

2 Weeks are absolutely ok. There should always be enough time for everyone to test the new build and of course enought time for Obsidian to create a new one. IMHO 1 week is too short.

FWIW when we're in beta (or the testing leading up to it), we usually iterate every day, sometimes more frequently. The faster we can make the turnaround on reported issues, the happier and more productive our testers get. 

Admittedly our betas are never remotely this broad in scope. Once a week still sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I feel that rapid iterations are best at first, because major issues can hinder testing, but after you've got a fairly stable built where you're dealing with (relatively) minor bug fixes, you can space out betas more and more because there's less issues that have cascading effects, and also because we're testing such a small area that you want to gradually shift resources towards internal and systematic testing, lest you become Bethesda. I've never seen a company with such poor systematic testing as that one (an unpaid intern could have fixed several thousand bugs per day for a straight week if they just bothered to put their items/enemies and their properties/stats in a spreadsheet, sorted them according to those properties, and played a little game of "find the intruder").

A 2 weeks release cycle is a bit slow to my liking for now because I feel there's probably a lot that was improved or fixed since the last one (judging by the massively PoE improved from v257 to v258). But on the other hand this IS a separate build, so doing one every week might put a strain on resources. I can live with this.

• Like 1

this game gets patched slower than a crippled sloth wading through tar. hey obsidian, when can we play the game your internal people get to play?

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

this game gets patched slower than a crippled sloth wading through tar. hey obsidian, when can we play the game your internal people get to play?

They have a vested interest in this game being better, and in the forums giving feedback and new ideas, they're obviously using the time for a reason. Maybe because everyone expects a significant jump in quality per patch, and they want to deliver that.

• Like 2

Why d'you figure they're playing builds of the BB rather than the whole game?

I'd be okay playing the same version as the internal testers! :p

But no, probably for the best that I not be spoiled like that.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

They have a vested interest in this game being better, and in the forums giving feedback and new ideas, they're obviously using the time for a reason. Maybe because everyone expects a significant jump in quality per patch, and they want to deliver that.

Nope, they just don't really see the BB as particularly important. I'm not being grumpy or facetious, I honestly think it was a stretch-goal gimmick that is now a pesky afterthought.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Nope, they just don't really see the BB as particularly important. I'm not being grumpy or facetious, I honestly think it was a stretch-goal gimmick that is now a pesky afterthought.

Because they haven't taken into account bug reports or mechanic improvements? But they have, so...? A gimmick or just an underestimation of community involvement on the part of mechanical improvements? The prior implies Obsidian was/is defrauding backers for a monetary stretch goal, the other a minimal misjudgement within the realms of a good Kickstarter.

Or maybe they just don't want to put a patch out until it makes sense to do so? I want a new patch too, but I don't want them to put it out before it's ready. Commenting on OE's attitude towards the Beta without any inside information seems rather pointless, not to mention disingenuous.

Edited by Matt516
  • Like 3

Or maybe they just don't want to put a patch out until it makes sense to do so? I want a new patch too, but I don't want them to put it out before it's ready. Commenting on OE's attitude towards the Beta without any inside information seems rather pointless, not to mention disingenuous.

I agree that we can't always understand intent based on actions (or lack of actions). I do feel that bit more communication would be nice, especially when you set an expectation of a patch every week or two, and you're barely hearing anything after the 3 week mark. The whole we only talk when we have good news to share isn't an approach that I'm a big fan of, personally.

But really... WL2. Not going to have any time for PoE anytime soon anyway.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

this game gets patched slower than a crippled sloth wading through tar. hay obsidian, when can we play the game your internal ponies get to play?

Everything good takes time.

Which is exactly why they should delay the game till next year.

It's the perception that they aren't iterating/improving fast enough to release an amazing game in less than 3 months that has some people like me worried.