Are they even listening to our feedback?

ctn2003

So far it seems that 0 devs have been taking our gameplay feedback into acount. you could say their focusing on bugs. i hope thats true. but it just seems like even after the bugs are fixed ( i hope) their not going to even look at our ui gameplay feedback at all. Do you think we are waisting our time?  ....it this game going to end up like shadowrun returns?  TONS of peaple regretting backing it? :banghead:    Becase right now im a tad more highped for icewind dale enhanced edition.

Gosh! You have just opened Pandora's box with this thread. Not a good idea. :no:

Personally, I'm convinced that they are listening. I've been following OE closely since they released NWN2, and they have always been a company that listened and adapted to all kinds of feedback. Even our wishes, in fact. After a few of us fans had some lists going of what to include in the expansion after MotB, they actually took that to heart and fulfilled almost all of them. That was very grand of them.

Right now, I feel this kind of thread doesn't serve any purpose but giving post carcasses for the vultures to feed on and splatter about. It's not constructive in the slightest. I vote for it to get closed, or perhaps be moved to the General Discussion forum.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 11

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

What Sensuki said.  Also looking at this from a "design" perspective... you want to quash bugs first.  There is no point in trying to change the basic gameplay/class functions right now when there are major bugs at play.  Look at it this way.  You can fine tune a car engine to extreme levels... but if you don't bother replacing the old gunky oil that has been in it for 10 years and resembles a black ooze it still wont run for crap.

In other words... until the big bugs that seriously hurt gameplay are resolved there is no point in trying to adjust the gameplay itself.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 5

They will take into account useful feedback. They'll discuss internally -consider, implement, discard, and or save for later.

The rest is all just noise from uncouth rabble that needs to be filtered out.

Rinse and repeat from the Black Isle days.

• Like 4

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What Sensuki said.  Also looking at this from a "design" perspective... you want to quash bugs first.  There is no point in trying to change the basic gameplay/class functions right now when there are major bugs at play.  Look at it this way.  You can fine tune a car engine to extreme levels... but if you don't bother replacing the old gunky oil that has been in it for 10 years and resembles a black ooze it still wont run for crap.

In other words... until the big bugs that seriously hurt gameplay are resolved there is no point in trying to adjust the gameplay itself.

I would have assumed that changing basic gameplay / class functions would introduce new bugs. Seems silly to waste time and resources fixing mechanics that (may) be replaced. 

• Like 2

I doubt they're going to replace (m)any mechanics. (No pressing need to either, IMO.) They are going to add a lot of talents and tune a lot of stuff, and (I hope!) do something about the combat feedback at least; however there really isn't much point to do that if the beta is borderline unplayable.

As to the listening part, I'm sure they are. They do have to do a quite a bit of filtering to get the signal out of the noise.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Check the 'Josh Sawyer visually explains attack and recovery" thread. Josh has been responding in that one periodically. But you can't expect they're going to address every single concern/item of feedback on the boards. They're likely concentrating on bugs and may later on look at what they can reasonably change/tweak from the feedback suggestions.

• Like 2

Has there even been a patch yet? I didn't notice one on Steam. I thought they would've got rid of some game breaking bugs already, I was barely able to play.

Otherwise they are probably focusing some serious dev time on stuff the community has raged about the most (combat....) but I wouldn't expect to see that patched for a fair while

• Like 1

Has there even been a patch yet? I didn't notice one on Steam. I thought they would've got rid of some game breaking bugs already, I was barely able to play.

Otherwise they are probably focusing some serious dev time on stuff the community has raged about the most (combat....) but I wouldn't expect to see that patched for a fair while

No patch yet, but it should be this week.

• Like 1

It's not like 100% of the community are unhappy with the UI, I really like it for one. They are definetly listening to the people on the forums, they are really good at responding it seems. As people have said before it's gonna be hard to change anything big at this point, but I'm sure there's going to be small but important changes before the release. 

Edit: Did Shadowrun do that bad? Metascore is 76, seems pretty good to me but I've never tried it. 

Edited by Freshock
  • Like 1

It can't come soon enough! Any updated info on when the patch may drop?

We are looking to release it tomorrow. We have a build that looks like a good candidate (but main menu music stopped working). We are going to do a few fixes tonight and we will either push out tomorrow's build or, if tomorrow's build has problems, we will push out tonight's build.

Wonderful! If I understood this correctly, we'll get a new build today, and knowing Steam, possibly around 19:00 CET. I wonder which class I'll roll up this time. Perhaps a cipher.

No patch yet, but it should be this week.

Not to get your hopes up too much, guys, but read the first quoted posts in my post here. If we are really lucky, the patch may drop in about one hour from now!

Please, let it be true! :w00t:

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I liked SRR. Dead Man's Switch was pretty light fare but well written and atmospheric, and Dragonfall was downright good. Of course they're RPG-lites compared to what P:E is shooting for, but they were pretty good at what they were. Not without their flaws of course but all in all quite enjoyable.

• Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Para: Mommy, need tention!

The devs are all out at places of iniquity participating in as much drinking and debauchery as possible cause... That's what I'm doing when I'm at work and not twattering about whatever I happen to be working on every 2.781 minutes.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Personally, I'm convinced that they are listening. I've been following OE closely since they released NWN2, and they have always been a company that listened and adapted to all kinds of feedback.

No, they are not listening and they are not delivering what they promised either. I didn't back an isometric stealth game with pointless and dull combat, a lackluster skill/trait system and an impotent attribute system. The game looks beautiful (thanks Kaz and Hector!) but that is about it.

I wasn't expecting the high quality and depth of Baldur's Gate, but I was certainly expecting something with more depth than Dragon Age: Origins.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Helm: They do listen, I assure you, but that's not the same thing as adapting the game at our beck and call. Fear not, young Padawan. Those systems can be remade and be heavily tweaked. Also, hopefully, we'll get to see stuff that will get us that comfort-CRPG-feel back. As for promises. It was a Kickstarter, so basically we donated money for a good cause in the hope that it will turn into something we really enjoy playing, nothing more, nothing less. These coming months will tell If I am right. Until then, chin up. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1