What do you want from your indie game?

Erez

That question is a bit misleading, the more correct question is, what do you want from your games?

What aspects of the games are most important and will determine the final score you give a game, as far as gaming goes I expect the same thing from an Indie company and an AAA company. 

An indie company will never be able to truly compete with an AAA company(If the AAA company knew what they were doing), but it can still perform and shine in some aspects of the game.

So what do you say guys and girls, what makes a great game?

To be honest I can't really make a distinction between indie and AAA companies; the truth is what draws me to a game is an interesting hook and what keeps me playing is solid execution of that hook. There may be some adjustments to cosmetics (I'm not going to expect AAA graphics from an indie product) but generally speaking story, gameplay something is going to have to draw my attention.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As I've gotten older I've enjoyed the flawed diamonds a lot more than the polished ones. When I can sense the love for the game, then I'm almost always a fan... and often I'd love to love AAA titles, but with a lot of the bigger titles from the companies that shoot out games in a steady stream - you can just feel the soullessness underneath the mechanics. 

So these days I'd much rather play Mount and Blade, Distant Worlds, Xenonauts and Project Zomboid than their AAA equivalents.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

I doubt those games have AAA equivalents otherwise people would be flocking to them.

Also you're all wrong, you shouldn't like games because they're fun or because you like them it should be because the promote the cause of making the world a more inclusive place and have equal representation.....

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I want them to deliver a cRPG that's a) written by and for adults; b) good enough to be worth five or six replays; c) has a good bit of tactical combat with a measure of strategic planning thrown in as well; d) uses a strong measure of verisimilitude so as not to strain my credulity; e) is thoroughly--start to finish--tested and retested to hold to an absolute minimum those immersion breaking, profanity inspiring bugs; f) offers us numerous choices that have significant in-game consequences; and g) offers engaging companions, banter, and conversation.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I doubt those games have AAA equivalents otherwise people would be flocking to them.

There is and they do.. Xcom Enemy Unkown/Within is the AAA version of Xenonauts.. For Zomboid you have titles like Dead Rising/Island. Sins of Solar Empire to Distant Worlds.

Mount and Blade however doesn't really have an equivalent though, true enough.

Fortune favors the bald.

I want fun. I have played games that clearly have the quality, but aren't fun to play for me. One example would be Uncharted 3. I got bored after beating half the chapters. I was just not having fun any more and stopped playing.

What is fun? Either gameplay that keeps me interested or a story I want to see through to the end, I guess.

• Like 1