[Resolved?]Pillars of eternity turning computer unresponsive

SomberSight

Question

I want to report an issue that I've experienced with both this beta, and the wasteland 2 beta in the past: My computer gradually becomes more unresponsive the longer the client is running untill it freezes completely, forcing me to shut down the computer via the power button. I could start the game fine (it felt like the startup time was longer than it should though), and edit my preferences, but once I got to character creation I would notice that mouse movement and button clicks would register slowly, and incorrectly (the mouse did not move precisely to my input). Switching to another window at this point could not be achieved by ALT + TAB, forcing me to use CTRL + ALT + DELETE to get to my desktop. At my desktop, things would respond as normal for a time, but after a few minutes browsing the internet, this too would lag horribly before becoming entirely unresponsive. At this point, the music from the game would hang up, as if playing the same fraction of the track over and over again. I tried to wait it out for a few minutes, but this state did not change, so I decided to restart.

System details:

I'm running this on a Dell XPS laptop with 8GB RAM, an i7-2729QM Intel CPU(4 cores, 2.2GHz), a Geforce GT 555M GPU, and running the Windows 7

operating system (Home premium edition)

Solution:

It turns out that the system was not taking advantage of the graphics card, but using the integrated solution on the CPU. Changing this setting seems to have resolved the main issue. I'm still creating the thread so that others with the same problem can be informed.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

How do you change from internal cpu to external fx card, somewhere in options or the NVidia panel?

edit, ignore found it, mine had been set to CPU :-(

Edited by DnaCowboy

No matter how many times cats fight, there's always plenty of kittens.