Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer Beta Information [Not Live Yet]

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4881 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm sure Obsidian's reputation and credibility will be just fine if they release a great game.

It will suffer, though, if they delay the release, or, worse, if the release is buggy and unpolished. Any effort they spend servicing us is not spent on fixing bugs, polishing, and keeping the project on-budget and on-schedule. I.e. I believe that your suggestion is actively harmful, also for Obsidian's reputation.

• GrinningReaper659 likes this

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm sure Obsidian's reputation and credibility will be just fine if they release a great game.

It will suffer, though, if they delay the release, or, worse, if the release is buggy and unpolished. Any effort they spend servicing us is not spent on fixing bugs, polishing, and keeping the project on-budget and on-schedule. I.e. I believe that your suggestion is actively harmful, also for Obsidian's reputation.

Well, in this case it was a bad idea for Obsidian to offer a separate backer beta. They should have just given the backers the same build they are testing internally. Those who wouldn't want to be spoiled need not play. Those who are willing to be spoiled for the sake of making the game better could. And Obsidian would avoid a bunch of extra work to maintain a separate, reduced scope build that may result in bugs that aren't in the full game build.

This is essentially what I said as soon as I learned the backer beta would consist of only 1 town, 2 wilderness areas and 3 - 5 hours of gameplay.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4881 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

:eyeroll:

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

:eyeroll:

Seriously? Eyeroll?

You are the one who stated that "any effort spent servicing us [paraphrased: is not helping to keep the project on schedule]." Okay, so point taken. The backer beta, with its separate install package is exactly what you describe. I'm just taking the next logical step with your argument.

So is the eyeroll directed at me, or at you? Maybe you just didn't realize how profound your point was.

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

*Implying that the backer beta is not a helpful part of the development of the game.*

You are nothing but doom and gloom, Marceror.

Marceror

Marceror

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

*Implying that the backer beta is not a helpful part of the development of the game.*

How about you point me to where I made that implication? I don't recall making it, and it's 180 degrees opposite to what I believe.

Msxyz

Msxyz

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Any news about updates or Linux/Mac versions of the bet?

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Re: Main PoE code and Backer Beta, the way this usually works is this:

1. There is a main code branch (AKA trunk) where everyone does the actual programming (or the actual programming happens in separate branches which are then merged into the main branch upon completion). All the bug-fixing happens here. 

2. There is a separate code branch ("release candidate", though the name may be a misnomer) used for testing and bug-hunting. This branch is made at regular intervals. 

3. There is likely another separate code branch ("backer beta") which was created from one of the "release candidates" (possibly the most stable one in recent history) and then customized by cutting content down to its present size. 

The way a new BB version can happen is twofold:

1. They can create a patch from the main code branch and apply it to the BB branch. This carries a risk that the main code branch is too divergent from the BB branch and the patch will be a nightmare to apply and merge. 

2. They can create a new RC which includes bugfixes from the main branch, then ensure it's stable, and then create a new BB from it. This may be more or less difficult than option (1), depending on the method they applied to cutting content. If content is loosely coupled from code and can be parametrized, then it's not a big deal. If it's not, then the work required to make a new BB is probably too much effort.

• PrimeJunta likes this

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4881 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

If they "designed in" the BB early on, producing one might just be running a different build script. Would still need to be tested separately though.

If they have to merge in branches, create new ones, or make the builds manually on an ad-hoc basis then it's more work. Potentially a LOT more work.

• Sammael likes this

Lord Vicious

Lord Vicious

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
They should have just given the backers the same build they are testing internally. Those who wouldn't want to be spoiled need not play. Those who are willing to be spoiled for the sake of making the game better could.

Exactly. Other self-funded classic RPG project - Age of Decadence - used this approach, sharing its working beta with backers as it expanded. At the current stage the AoD backer beta includes about 2/3 of the game's content, AFAIK, and it's pretty awesome. The game is available for pre-purchase on steam, and a big working beta is a great incentive to buy into the project well before release. (although the game itself is only for hardcore CRPG players, it's pretty unforgiving). 

Edited by Lord Vicious, 25 August 2014 - 11:42 AM.

leninghola

leninghola

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 49 posts

They should have just given the backers the same build they are testing internally. Those who wouldn't want to be spoiled need not play. Those who are willing to be spoiled for the sake of making the game better could.

Exactly. Other self-funded classic RPG project - Age of Decadence - used this approach, sharing its working beta with backers as it expanded. At the current stage the AoD backer beta includes about 2/3 of the game's content, AFAIK, and it's pretty awesome. The game is available for pre-purchase on steam, and a big working beta is a great incentive to buy into the project well before release. (although the game itself is only for hardcore CRPG players, it's pretty unforgiving). 

Yes, but AoD has been in beta for like 4 years. :cat:

• Matt516 likes this

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4881 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

What about... Grimoire?

• Bubbles and leninghola like this

leninghola

leninghola

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 49 posts

What about... Grimoire?

You can have a 20 year beta as long as I can ride on turtles.

• PrimeJunta likes this

DrIvanchev

DrIvanchev

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

So I paid 35$ to back the game on 20th of August... do I get the beta or am I supposed wait till winter for the full game... I could not understand. Any clarification will be helpful and much appreciated. 10x

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4881 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So I paid 35$ to back the game on 20th of August... do I get the beta or am I supposed wait till winter for the full game... I could not understand. Any clarification will be helpful and much appreciated. 10x

Check the "Products" tab on your account. You should be able to generate the key from there.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

if you back the actual game, that does not include the beta. At higher levels of backing ($130+) the beta is given free. You will have to wait until the game comes out sometime (in winter?).

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3729 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

$35 for the full game and $25 for the beta.

DrIvanchev

DrIvanchev

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

thanks for the replies, guys :)

Mayama

Mayama

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts

Well even if everything else fails we are a free test audience.

Jajo

Jajo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Any ETA on beta for linux?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users