Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

It helps that J.J. Abrams already got experience directing Star Wars movies. He made the Star Trek reboot, after all.

Which was horribad on varying levels....

Namutree says he thinks the movie will be ok so long as Lucas is kept away. Well, the fact that he does have some creative input aside, I'd agree with that sentiment in general. I'd also say they might be ok so long as JJ is kept away as well. As bad as Lucas is he at least has some good original movies under his name, albeit all were over 20 years ago now. J.J.'s got ok at best movies under his name with not one of them being original.

I figure I got about as much chance at winning the lottery as Ep 7 being good. Possible, I'm hopeful, but I'm not planning on it.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

Hey man, it was a terrible Star Trek movie, but it was a better Star Wars movie than the prequels.

Is this like one of those things where Trekkies didn't like it but everyone else did?

I mean I like Star Trek, but I'm nowhere near a Trekkie.

Hey man, it was a terrible Star Trek movie, but it was a better Star Wars movie than the prequels.

Is this like one of those things where Trekkies didn't like it but everyone else did?

I mean I like Star Trek, but I'm nowhere near a Trekkie.

A 'trekkie' is a relative and subjective term.  Kind like a 'druggie'. Many users of drugs X wouldn't consider themselves a druggie, but others might after just hearing of or seeing them do it once. Same for 'trekkie'.

Edited by Valsuelm

I'm not a major Star Trek fan so I didn't mind it was a terrible Star Trek film, since Star Trek is all about Utopias and ethical dillemas and that's boooooring. Okay, I'm totally exaggerating this, I enjoy Star Trek but like you I'm not a Trekkie and I enjoyed the reboot as a cool action flick (even though I'll totally make fun of the lens flares). I have no problems with J.J. and I think he'll pull off a decent Star Wars. I think his track record is pretty good, I enjoyed M:I 3, Star Trek and Super 8 though I hated the Star Trek sequel, that was because the script was awful.

I thought the two JJ trek movies were fun and entertaining but I didn't think they were good as trek movies.

They are good enough that I consider them to be honorary even-numbered Trek movies.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm just hoping it won't suck. It's a longshot I know.

There are three simple things the new trilogy must do to be good:

A) Keep the story simple, and make it use a lot of tension building. Star Wars is at it's best when it's dramatic; not convoluted. Simple stories are easier to relate to emotionally, and thus more compelling.

B)  Don't just jump us into a battle scene. Instead build it up; do a briefing session so the audience can get an idea of what the good guys are trying to do, and to build anticipation for the battle.

C) Be consistent with the primary cannon. The prequels are so annoying when they don't fit the original trilogy, and scenes for the ORIGINAL TRILOGY had to be altered or cut by George Lucas so the cannon could make sense. It should have been the other way around; the prequels should have been made to fit the originals.

Obvious pitfalls to avoid:

A) Over acting protagonists. To say Anakin was over the top in episode 2 & 3 would be an understatement. Only bad guys get to be campy since they aren't meant to be sympathetic.

B) Anti-villains. Don't make us sympathize with the villain. Villains should be fearsome; not sympathetic. The attempt to make Darth Vader less of an evil figure through the prequels is one of the biggest flaws of the prequel trilogy. Not only did it lead to a very stupid motivation for Anakin turning to the dark side, but it cheapens his redemption. Not to mention that a story of good vs. evil is more emotionally compelling. 

C) Meaningless battle scenes. If a battle scene has nothing to do with the main story; don't show it. The wookie battle in episode III is a perfect example of wasting screen time. Don't do that.

Totally agree. Lucas absolutely ruined on the greatest villains of all time. I get that he was trying to make him sympathetic in the hope that somehow it would make his "fall" tragic but it was all so poorly written, acted, and ham fistedly done that is was just a farce.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I thought the two JJ trek movies were fun and entertaining but I didn't think they were good as trek movies.

They are good enough that I consider them to be honorary even-numbered Trek movies.

!!!!

Star Trek 5 was a masterpiece in comparison.

!!!!

Star Trek 5 was a masterpiece in comparison.

No need to lie.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Reeeeaaaaally hoping that silly lightsaber handguard isn't really in the movie.

Me too. Honestly I was hoping the villian would use vibro-swords over lightsabers; to help signify that he (maybe she?) wasn't sith, but something new... Maybe something worse!

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Show me a sith who uses that thing and I'll show you one with missing fingers! :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Reeeeaaaaally hoping that silly lightsaber handguard isn't really in the movie.

I'm hoping the opposite. I'm with Plinkett on this, the lightsabers should have had more variety and character. They should have represented the pecularities of the races and the characters wielding them.

Luke, Vader, Kenobi can all have their similarity justified in being teacher/pupil relationship. But everyone else needs to have theirs say something about the character.

I don't see how laser hilts say something about this character, but maybe he can do something interesting with it.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

qg9t4h3xes67pv9469vw.jpg

Beats Attack of the Clones, at least

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, the Force is, the users aren't always so.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra