Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

So apparently it has been confirmed by Mark Darrah that the Grey Warden you played as in Origins will *NOT* be making an on-screen appearance in Inquisition

Thank goodness. I was positive they were going to, they'd been so oddly coy about it, I could only think they meant it to be a surprise.

It would have been awful.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

From a fledgling developer standpoint, one that has a crew of three unpaid and four paid (three of which I should not have) and not 400, I do not understand open world games.

They are incredibly ridiculous to plan - let alone design. They cost way too much money for the benefit, and you can have the same effect simply by having an interesting enough overworld map with enough stuff to discover and do. Wasteland 2 does this well. So does Mario World. And the original Dragon Age.

From an unemployed 3D artist standpoint, are you hiring?

People like them, is really just that. Bethesda and Rockstar have made them popular and it feels more organic than a linear game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Just having giant open landmasses in and of itself isn't necessarily a good thing, and this goes for The Witcher 3 as well as DA:I.  Those large open areas need to be filled with interesting locations to explore, interesting things to do, and (*glares menacingly at Bethesda*) interesting characters to meet.  In fact, the larger the land masses, the more challenging it becomes for the developer to fill them with enough interesting and different things to do and the more likely said developer is to fall into a rut of copy & paste filler quests.  Hopefully BioWare (and CDPR, for that matter) rises to the occasion and manages to make these giant areas feel interesting and alive.

I disagree. In BG some zones were mostly empty and still it was fun to explore them. I've had it up to here with modern CRPG design (as seen in SR:R, D:OS and WL2) where almost every location is a series of narrow tunnels and everything that isn't populated is blocked off by invisible walls (not that visible walls are much better for that matter). I'm not claustrofobic IRL and yet I feel like I'm suffocating.

Give me some room to breathe, dammit!

Edited by prodigydancer
  • Like 2

prodigydancer: Your post deserved a nice like, since you brought up something that I do appreciate a lot and that is indeed almost always missing in CRPGs. Perhaps our enjoying of this more empty-ish exploration is an acquired taste, but I am pining for something like BG1 again in this respect, and if DA:I does bring that to the table - great!

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Thank goodness. I was positive they were going to, they'd been so oddly coy about it, I could only think they meant it to be a surprise.

Half expected it to be the case myself, even if I did hold out hope that we would see the Origins PC in Inquisition. There were lots of voice options for the PC (granted it was only generic combat banter), meaning that Bioware would have had to record tons of lines for all the different potential voices players could have chose from Origins, unless they simply went with recording at best one set of dialogue for each of the races. Then there was the dialogue choices through which players could shape the Warden's personality, though those choices didn't really have any bearing on how people reacted to your PC in the game, nor were these choices likely flagged for a future installment of the series (unlike 2 in which the game actively tracked the bias of dialogue choices and adjusted reactions to Hawke and even his/her party banter dialogue accordingly).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Half expected it to be the case myself, even if I did hold out hope that we would see the Origins PC in Inquisition. There were lots of voice options for the PC (granted it was only generic combat banter), meaning that Bioware would have had to record tons of lines for all the different potential voices players could have chose from Origins, unless they simply went with recording at best one set of dialogue for each of the races. Then there was the dialogue choices through which players could shape the Warden's personality, though those choices didn't really have any bearing on how people reacted to your PC in the game, nor were these choices likely flagged for a future installment of the series (unlike 2 in which the game actively tracked the bias of dialogue choices and adjusted reactions to Hawke and even his/her party banter dialogue accordingly).

Mmh, probably that, or a voice per gender per background at most. Even that would be quite a bit, I see absolutely no reason for them to look at the AI barks for a ground though. Purely academic at this point, I guess.

I'm having a hard time caring about this game, tbh. I assume it's going to be like DA2, which I played during my worst fantasy burnout and found generally enjoyable, since I wasn't expecting a masterpiece. I've though the NPC selection seems pretty dire this time around, but then I remembered I basically used Aveline, Isabela, Varric and7or Bethany whenever I could, Anders when I was forced to (by lack of Bethany). In fact, Mass Effect remains the only Bioware game that I've completed with essentially every party member available. I think I can scrape an interesting party from the DAI NPCs, though just barely, tbh.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

All party members seem okay, save for those Elves and the emo Van Helsing.

Aside from Iron Bull, they all look a bit dull. But I guess that's the tone the franchise has been working with all along. Justice has really been the only standout, a tad bit of Morrigan too.

Cole is conceptually interesting, but there's baggage there from the novels.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The problem some open-world games (like Oblivion or Skyrim) may be also that content is TOO DENSELY PACKED.

You have lost ruin in spiting distance of a town. Bandit camps next to fortresses.

To have the illusion or a proper, real land, you really need it to feel somewhat empty.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I really hope they'll release a character creation editor before the game, like they did for DA:O. I loved that! Then you could play around with it a lot and even save your character. Later, when the game got released, you were all ready to go. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I really hope they'll release a character creation editor before the game, like they did for DA:O. I loved that! Then you could play around with it a lot and even save your character. Later, when the game got released, you were all ready to go. :)

I believe it has been said they would not be releasing such a thing or a demo ("Demo? Wot's dat?"), though this is information that I only learned secondhand. However, considering they did not release it for Dragon Age 2 that's something I would say with fairly high confidence will not happen.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I believe it has been said they would not be releasing such a thing or a demo ("Demo? Wot's dat?"), though this is information that I only learned secondhand. However, considering they did not release it for Dragon Age 2 that's something I would say with fairly high confidence will not happen.
Yeah, and they really shot themselves in the foot with the da2 demo!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif