Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

Well, then, perhaps in my second playthrough, at least. Varric seems to be a cool character.

I hold WL2 as the best game released in 2014 (with Endless Legend being pretty much on par), so if DA:I does indeed compete with any of those two, I would be extremely happy.

I wonder how that playthrough we just saw would have been with the tactical view turned on all the way?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I found a new vid, a much funnier one!

The guy is clueless - he's probably never played a CRPG, but here you get to see the tactical view, and that other characters can backflip too.

Also, yes walking is in!!

And to top it off, poor Varric will be crushed by a Dragon.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0G9Np6TqVo

Backflipping dwarves, exploding bodies: Combat looks as stupid as DA2's.

I found a new vid, a much funnier one!

The guy is clueless - he's probably never played a CRPG, but here you get to see the tactical view, and that other characters can backflip too.

Also, yes walking is in!!

And to top it off, poor Varric will be crushed by a Dragon.

That's look terrible....

I can say worse than DA2...

i don't know what i am watching, all the flashy stuff, i hate it

DA:O free on Origin

So EA is ready to do anything if it helps persuade me to install Origin, eh? *remembering a scene from the Simpsons* Well, I don't know... maybe if one of their sales managers will dance for me on the phone...

/yawn

Seriously it's just pathetic. Not that I like Steam but EA and Ubisoft should give up already. They missed the boat and now it's gone.

Edited by prodigydancer
  • Like 1

Probably all Rogues backflip when using some skills.

Personally, I can't understand why effects like that are a big deal to some people.

Yes, the evasion ability, which that person seemed to be fond of spamming. But anything for a whine, I guess...

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Probably all Rogues backflip when using some skills.

Personally, I can't understand why effects like that are a big deal to some people.

I personally have no issue with over-the-top dumb**** nonsense.

Just don't throw it in and expect me to still take the setting seriously.

Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 2

DA:O free on Origin

So EA is ready to do anything if it helps persuade me to install Origin, eh? *remembering a scene from the Simpsons* Well, I don't know... maybe if one of their sales managers will dance for me on the phone...

/yawn

Seriously it's just pathetic. Not that I like Steam but EA and Ubisoft should give up already. They missed the boat and now it's gone.

I'm just letting you know that you are literally making fun of them for being a business.

• Like 2

To pass the time until Inquisition, I decided to do a stream of Dragon this weekend either on Friday or Saturday morning United States PST, depending on when I get my streaming set-up squared away. It will entail about all of Origins the canonical DLC as well, and I will not be streaming Dragon Age 2, as hopefully the Dragon Age Keep will stand-in for that experience.

What it will entail:

-Idle musings of the series and vidya games in general.

-Me breaking the game through tons and tons of mods (none of it romance or sex-related, I assure you) and the odd exploit or two.

-Suffering performance anxiety and stage fright from streaming seriously for the first time.

-No romancing, since my lady city elf rogue thinks boys have cooties (sorry, Bruce).

If it all pans out and I (somehow) get a decent amount of regular viewers I think I have a couple of other games lined up to stream including, but not limited to:

-STALKER

-Falcon BMS 4.32

-Deus Ex: Human Revolution

-Steel Beasts

-...and many more!

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

If only it came with all the DLC...then I wouldn't have to go searching for discs whenever I want to play DA (I have them all except the one where you play the Darkspawn...I forget the name).  Which, admittedly, I haven't since several months after release (but I did beat it 8 times in that span). 

Anyway, I find myself uninterested in DA:I.  The combat just seems poor, ridiculously easy, and getting rid of healing annoys me, as does only 8 active abilities at a time.  Can't say I care for many of the companions (Cassandra and Varric seem okay, the rest...meh.)  The only thing it really has going for it, as far as I'm concerned, is that it looks really pretty.  Probably something I'll pick up when it's on sale, though with the lack of other things I'm interested in releasing between now and the end of the year, maybe I'll pick it up sooner rather than later.

"The combat just seems poor, ridiculously easy,"

How does the combat look 'easy'. Not saying it looks 'hard' but there's no way to tell either way. Then you whine about 'no healing' even thoguh there IS healing in the game. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Considering that in DA2 the higher difficulties were much more difficult than in DA:O, I doubt they'll ramp them down this time.

There was a comment on the bio forums from one of the devs that his <10year old nephew or something could play the easiest difficulty without help, so it'll be easy if you want it to.

-No romancing, since my lady city elf rogue thinks boys have cooties (sorry, Bruce).

The idea of playing any Bioware game without following a Romance arc just feels weird and incongruous to me :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The idea of playing any Bioware game without following a Romance arc just feels weird and incongruous to me :unsure:

Best way to do speedruns of BW games.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Best way to do speedruns of BW games."

BW romances are less than 1% of their games.... yet get 99% of the attention by both pro and minus romancers. LMAO

To me, they are just another way to add C&C to role-playing games,

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Largely ambivalent to romances in Bioware games to be honest. There's no law in my book that says the romanceable characters are terrible, but I think when that option is absent the Bioware writing team has the time to make a character shine on their own two feet. Examples being (I omit their DnD works, since I feel that romances weren't quite their hat back then):

KOTOR 1:

-Canderous

-HK-47

-Jolee

Mass Effect:

-Wrex

-Mordin

-Legion

-James Vega

Dragon Age:

-Sten

-Oghren

-Varric

-Aveline

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"Best way to do speedruns of BW games."

BW romances are less than 1% of their games.... yet get 99% of the attention by both pro and minus romancers. LMAO

To me, they are just another way to add C&C to role-playing games,

This is actually a very valid point and one that I have made several times in the Romance threads, people say "Romance is intrusive and in your face in Bioware games" .

They not, they are optional and you can easily avoid them without any impact to your RPG journey, I recently played Jade Empire and the Romance dialogue options were so easy to ignore if I wanted to it would have been no issue

Romance probably represents 6-10 % (?) of the total dialogue options in your typical Bioware game and dialogue represents maybe 5 % (?) of the total RPG components in your overall game

So I really don't see why optional Romance is such a bugbear for people

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela