What you did today

Gorth

Today I seriously thought I was going to die, like in drop dead and never move again. A co-worker gave me tasty pastry but after the fourth or so bite I noticed a strange, long-forgotten taste. Sh!t. Walnuts!!!

When I was a kid I once almost died from eating a single walnut and was rushed into hospital because I was almost choking and got live threatening allergic edemas, so bad was my allergic shock. Since that day I never ate anything containing walnuts again.

I already got the phone to call the ambulance but....nothing really happened. Waited for an hour and I was still perfectly fine, except being drenched in cold sweat of course.  

Guess I'm not allergic to walnuts anymore. Phew....  :w00t:

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Today I seriously thought I was going to die, like in drop dead and never move again. A co-worker gave me tasty pastry but after the fourth or so bite I noticed a strange, long-forgotten taste. Sh!t. Walnuts!!!

When I was a kid I once almost died from eating a single walnut and was rushed into hospital because I was almost choking and got live threatening allergic edemas, so bad was my allergic shock. Since that day I never ate anything containing walnuts again.

I already got the phone to call the ambulance but....nothing really happened. Waited for an hour and I was still perfectly fine, except being drenched in cold sweat of course.  

If I was allergic to something, I'd it eat to spite it. Oh wait, I already do!

• Like 1

Well its good to know you are not dead :sweat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If I was allergic to something, I'd it eat to spite it. Oh wait, I already do!

Depends on what kind of allergy. If you get a rush and itchy skin, who cares, but if its one of those allergies where you get an Anaphylactic shock and freaking die from choking to death, that kind of sh!t should be avoided.

Well its good to know you are not dead :sweat:

Meh. 

Edited by Woldan

My former boss called and asked me if I'd be interested in a part-time job. Considering to accept her offer.

No luck finding other work?

To be honest, I haven't looked for other work. I've been dabbling in the stock market and been doing very well. Still, it's boring to just sit at home. I'll have time for both. Getting guaranteed money from work and doing what I have been doing for the last month in the stock market. In 2 months, I've made over $4000 buying and selling stocks. 

@Woldan: Either it kills me or I kill it.  :bat:

I'm doing some pre-travel admin. I shall be visiting the Land-of-Woldan en route to The Balkans then further afield. Hope to explore Montenegro at some point.

As for men's fragrances - the smell of bourbon, rich mahogany and cigars is my natural musk, you pansies.

#machobastard

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I wish I could live off $2000 / month. :(

Careful, day trading can be risky.

I'm as careful as can be. On the other hand, you can still get a bad stroke of luck. That's why I do lots of research on anything I buy. I look a couple of years back, financial reports, insider trading reports, the world situation and so on.

I'm single, don't own a car and I don't smoke. I have never felt that money has been an issue, even if I could not call myself "rich".

I'm doing some pre-travel admin. I shall be visiting the Land-of-Woldan en route to The Balkans then further afield. Hope to explore Montenegro at some point.

No you're not. You have not visited Land-of-Woldan if you haven't climbed at least one 3500m+ mountain. 

• Like 1

I should really be sleeping right now.

The Boy is now a little over 5 months old and can go 6 or 7 hours between meals on a good night.   He last took a bottle at 5PM, followed up by an ounce or so of practice spoon-feeding (oat cereal diluted in baby formula, just for fun and to get him used to the idea of utensil-based food delivery) around 6:30.  He gets cranky if he's up much past 7PM, so we put him to bed around then.

The wife went to bed a little after 9.  She has claimed the first AM feeding (after which she'll head off for the "early shift" work, leaving me to get the youngin' dressed and drop him off at daycare).  That leaves me with the middle-of-the-night feeding.  That should be sometime between 11 and 12, but we'd prefer he wake up naturally and "ask" for it (i.e., cry), rather than have us wake him because it's "time."  It's now around 11, and I'm sitting here in the basement, thinking that I really should've gone to bed when the wife did, but acknowledging that doing so now would be pointless, as junior is liable to rouse and start asking for food at any moment. 

At least tomorrow is Friday. 

@Monte, replace the cigars with the vomit of one's offspring and I'm with you.  Never seen the appeal of bottled fragrances, to the extent that I've avoided women who use any noticeable amount of it. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

am recalling the last time we had to raise a puppy.  it took over two freaking months to get that beast house trained. it were very frustrating.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, I don't really want to think about toilet training just yet.  I'm hopeful that he'll take to it more ably than the average puppy, but puppies are born with far better ambulatory capabilities than are baby humans.  We'll start worrying about toilets after he gets the whole "walking" thing down.

Yeah, I don't really want to think about toilet training just yet.  I'm hopeful that he'll take to it more ably than the average puppy, but puppies are born with far better ambulatory capabilities than are baby humans.  We'll start worrying about toilets after he gets the whole "walking" thing down.

My son, who is 4, is still a work in progress.  Got the number one thing down, but two has not been pretty.

Browsing foreign radio stations on Shoutcast, seems every nation listens to techno these days.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What countries are you visiting in the Balkans. Also don't expect too much from Montenegro as far as the beaches go.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Got another call from my former boss. Instead of the 50% employment she offered yesterday, she offered 60% today. I told here that I'd think about it until next week.

I also got better broadband without doing anything. I had 30/35mb/s but it is now 50mb/s as that is the lowest speed my ISP will offer from now on. I have to pay nothing extra, which shows from my bill. I also tested it out and seems that my download speeds on Steam have doubled. Not bad, not bad at all.

Cleaned my bicycle, tightened all the bolts, re-calibrated the brakes, removed the old crusty oil from the drivetrain and applied super expensive gearbox lubrication, also lubed the axle ball-bearings. Its unreal how much the performance of my bike has increased through that little service, from now on I'll drastically shorten the service intervals. 

Took it for a quick shakedown, which then became a long tour. Only a handful of things are better than riding a fast and freshly serviced racing bicycle through the countryside on a hot summer day, on fast 100kmh+ downhill sections with some obligatory leg killing 25% climbs thrown in. The humming sound of fast spinning tires, feeling the air flow, the hammering heart, the overwhelming feel of freedom, the beautiful landscapes, feeling the blood flowing through my veins and the sun on my back.

Proper cycling is almost a spiritual experience. 

Edited by Woldan

on fast 100kmh+ downhill sections

Would never do this without full leather/kevlar motorcycle gear. I've seen my neighbours brother and the results of falling at those speeds.

You've got guts Woldan, I'll give you that =)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You've got guts Woldan, I'll give you that =)

I'm probably just stupid. But I enjoy it immensely. I'm not afraid of falling and tearing the flesh off my bones, the faster you go with a bike the more stabilized your ride gets, the wheels act like a pair of gyroscopes. What I'm afraid of is stupid people and traffic situations where its too late to brake, I'd rearend a car or I'd crash into a tree line because instead of guard rails there are trees on either side of the road. Either way I'd be turned into a deformed pile of meat, and motorcycle gear wouldn't help. Edited by Woldan

I'm probably just stupid. But I enjoy it immensely. I'm not afraid of falling and tearing the flesh off my bones, the faster you go with a bike the more stabilized your ride gets, the wheels act like a pair of gyroscopes. What I'm afraid of is stupid people and traffic situations where its too late to brake, I'd rearend a car or I'd crash into a tree line because instead of guard rails there are trees on either side of the road. Either way I'd be turned into a deformed pile of meat, and motorcycle gear wouldn't help.

I don't blame you, that sensation is exceptional! It's true that you might not have to worry about yourself that way, but the problem is as you say outside forces. Debris on the road that pops your tyre, or causes you to swerve. You're right about the motorcycle gear not helping against impacts against trees though, not much does. ;)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So I am back home again the first time since 5 weeks and now I feel so lonely, it's madness. I'll be here for just a few hours, but damn. Didn't thought it would be like that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I just got back from a nice bike ride.  Between yesterday and today I probably covered 50 miles, if not more.  Yesterday was a longer ride, both in terms of distance covered, and in terms of time spent on the road, but a much less challenging one, with no truly challenging climbs, just a bunch of small ones.  Today was a bit shorter, but much harder.  I went up Avon Mountain again, but this time I rode completely around it, and went up the side starting furthest away from where I live.  That side up the mountain is the shortest, but steepest and with no respite whatsoever.  It was really hot out there today so 2/3 of my water bottle got ingested and the other 1/3 got poured over my head along the way.  Good times.  I can now deservedly be lazy the rest of the day...  well, after I do laundry, anyway.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks