The "Cool" Images Thread

Agiel

Post every other piece of photography or artwork that isn't necessarily funny or sexy* here:

To get it started:

0IBLOAc.jpg

Scrapping of the Seawise Giant

b08_10016342.jpg

"The Invisible Man." I'm suddenly reminded of this cinematic from the first Shogun.

cZkuQEB.jpg

This one just speaks to you. If you know not what it is of, merely look at my "Location."

-----------

*Okay, it can be a little funny or sexy as long as it is also thought-provoking and emotionally stimulating as well.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 6
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Uh my cool picture folder is currently at 4k pictures, so it's a little hard to sift though it. Here are the ones that are my current backgrounds:

axHHN4b.jpgaLDgmtH.jpg4K7i6rR.jpgjgc9rri.jpgFCHZluc.jpg

• Like 5

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Cool images of places it would be interesting to visit..

17frseraqsie4jpg.jpg

17frsjusnweywjpg.jpg

17frsjyqlp7ejjpg.jpg

17frsjyqrpafmjpg.jpg

17frsk6mspzkdjpg.jpg

17fttt9ew94zbjpg.jpg

17ftpz58vkquvjpg.jpg

17ftwxo79dibhjpg.jpg

17fttk7unjcykjpg.jpg

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Maybe not so cool as quirky..

These objects don't exist

Since it's a mass of pictures of some... interesting painting schemes, I'll just throw the link here and let you all poke at it of your own free wills...

• Like 1

Marion 6360 ''The captain''

Weight 15.000 tons

Height 65 meters

For decades it was the biggest moving object made by man. 

113981_173056.jpg

113981_173059.jpg

marion6360.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I don't think that is ever been biggest moving object made by man (ships dominate that category quite single handedly), but biggest shovel and maybe biggest land vehicle maybe tittles that it has owned. Images are cool regardless.

I don't think that is ever been biggest moving object made by man (ships dominate that category quite single handedly), but biggest shovel and maybe biggest land vehicle maybe tittles that it has owned. Images are cool regardless.

Biggest moving object on land

Anyway, more impressive machines! :) Liebherr LR13000 crawler crane lifting smaller cranes that lift smaller cranes that lift....

Liebherr-LR13000-9754.jpg

Liebherr-LR13000-9692.jpg

One of the largest Draglines ever built: 

BigMuskiesBucket-1.jpg

It was so big that the tip of the long boom swung with 200 kmh / 125 mph when the machine turned. Also 14.000 tons heavy, in its service life it moved 465,000,000 m3 of overburden, the buckets bite was 300 tons of material and weighed 250 tons itself.

Big_Muskie_15.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Well, if we're going for 'cool' machines...

How about a home-made snowmobile? :shifty:

hand_made_snowmobiles_2.jpg

• Like 1

Too many pictures, this is it for now. Uploading all these is hard. :( I'm picking through my collection for the best pictures, plus I'm avoiding nudity because I think it would get deleted. Is artistic nudity allowed?

Cnuq0qy.jpgVphqNkI.jpgoo3Nil5.jpg7YDInV7.jpgxCvsQSW.jpgIY2oQqs.jpgCn8oqnT.jpg6xboCwg.jpgtxNbG9S.jpg4k2OFgG.jpg1rPy3ym.jpgRecJVMJ.jpg

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

t01_78204257.jpg

Protester from the anti-government demonstrations in Turkey in March.

w07_56678223.jpg

First Selfie from Mars

w22_RTR40UA4.jpg

RIMPAC 2014 exercise

A lot of the photos I get are from the regular 'In Focus" feature on The Atlantic website, which I highly recommend you guys keep up with.

And because I said this thread should also be dedicated towards cool art pieces as well:

pa100300-1600x1199.jpg

Artwork by Enki Bilal.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The question is not "are these guys cool enough for this thread?", but "is this thread cool enough for these guys?".

s6387m.jpg

Edited by JadedWolf
  • Like 3

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

w10_RTR2MK3Q.jpg

Photo of a story I found somewhat fascinating. Woman in China attempts suicide in her wedding gown after her fiance broke off the engagement. Luckily due to the efforts of neighbours she was unhurt.

a10_59674069.jpg

A worker for the Afghan Hajj and Religious Affairs Ministry is surrounded by flying pigeons as he collects dry wood from a rooftop near the unseen Shah-Do-Shamshira Mosque in Kabul, on December 29, 2013. Workers for the Religious Affairs Ministry sell bird feed to hundreds of devotees who come to the shrine daily to feed pigeons. The feeding of pigeons by Muslims has roots stretching back to medieval times, when they were used as message carriers and respected as the cleverest and most reverent of birds, as they never landed on the sacred Ka'aba inside the al-Masjid al-Haram mosque in Mecca.

s20_80048654.jpg

"Cool off."

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3

-Rod Serling

v3kmz.jpg

v05_RTR2IW9M.jpg

WO3OL.jpg

XLm4R.jpg

xZ64q.jpg

Y49b0.jpg

yd9xv.jpg

0WUIh.jpg

2MzvN.jpg

I too got a folder full of em, so if there is interest I'll post more.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.