PC Gamer just put up an unedited version of their demo walkthrough here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/30/pillars-of-eternity-video-josh-sawyer-on-character-creation-and-infinity-rpgs/. It's a fair bit longer than the others because Josh gives some very thorough explanations but there's nothing that will be new to anyone who's been following the game's development as closely as most of the forumites.

Edited by MasterPrudent
  • Like 9

Thanks for the link. Cover lots of the same ground as the other videos but in more detail. The PC Gamer interviewer knows him his Infinity Engine.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Naurgalen: No, you're not ill or anything. It's perfectly natural. :)

Speaking of ill, watching the PCGamer vid yet again, I just realized, slow as I am at times, that the caravan master is called Odema, and he seems to be something of medicine man too, he offers to heal, etc. And hey, we all know the word "oedema", right? Haha, funny, Obsidian! :lol: 

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I watched this demo being played 3 times through different videos and 4th now after watching this one and this is first time I noticed that when you move your screen where you don't see your characters, on edge of screen a little circular image shows up with a little arrow attached to show you where that character is. So cool!!

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

I watched this demo being played 3 times through different videos and 4th now after watching this one and this is first time I noticed that when you move your screen where you don't see your characters, on edge of screen a little circular image shows up with a little arrow attached to show you where that character is. So cool!!

Yeah, there is nothing like searching for your character on a really big map... especially when most of it isn't explored.

I just noticed that at character creation, you first choose your attributes and then your culture, but at the same time, culture seems to influence your attributes. At 9:47, there is a bonus of +1 to resolve due to being from Aedyr, but at the same time, Aedyr is not choosen as a culture yet.

• Like 1

I just noticed that at character creation, you first choose your attributes and then your culture, but at the same time, culture seems to influence your attributes. At 9:47, there is a bonus of +1 to resolve due to being from Aedyr, but at the same time, Aedyr is not choosen as a culture yet.

Noticed that too. I'm sure they'll still be tweaking CC for a more logical progression. Otherwise, add it to the bug database.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I think it would also be nice to be able to see the portrait while customizing the character model/appearance (iirc, the portrait appears at the top after customization is complete).

Edited by dorkboy

This statement is false.

I think it would also be nice to be able to see the portrait while customizing the character model/appearance (iirc, the portrait appears at the top after customization is complete).

Co-sign this. I'd like to be able to give the two a degree of similarity and this would be the most efficient way to enable that. Shadowrun Returns did it rather well.

And hey, we all know the word "oedema", right? Haha, funny, Obsidian! :lol: 

No? Am I supposed to know? :blink:

Its the British spelling for "Edema" from the Greek oídēma - meaning swelling.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

And hey, we all know the word "oedema", right? Haha, funny, Obsidian! :lol:

No? Am I supposed to know? :blink:

Medical pun. I'm surprised Lephys never brought it up. Obviously off his game.

• Like 3

I have been watching Pillars for quite some time now. I just saw the PCGamer video, and it looked so good that I had to bite the bullet and back it. Got the beta key of course, can't wait till "winter". I wouldn't be surprised if more people back PE based on that video.

Edited by generalkorrd
  • Like 1

Watching the demo I noticed something. In some other thread, someone complained about the black ooze dropping the cloak of protection as loot.

In this video it was quite clear that the ooze didn't drop the cloak as loot. Rather the cloak was found in an urn in the secret chamber.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Thank you for the link, i have been away for awhile so it was good to get a run through how it looks thus far.

It's Looking great !

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Watching the demo I noticed something. In some other thread, someone complained about the black ooze dropping the cloak of protection as loot.

In this video it was quite clear that the ooze didn't drop the cloak as loot. Rather the cloak was found in an urn in the secret chamber.

Thing about this stuff is, I find it perfectly reasonable to question it/point it out, but even if it did drop a cloak, my first guess would be "the loot-drop stuff is a bit wonky/unfinished," and not "Obsidian obviously thinks amorphous entities should drop humanoid equipment/attire." 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Thing about this stuff is, I find it perfectly reasonable to question it/point it out, but even if it did drop a cloak, my first guess would be "the loot-drop stuff is a bit wonky/unfinished," and not "Obsidian obviously thinks amorphous entities should drop humanoid equipment/attire." 8P

Amorphous entities (like oozes, jellies, slimes and puddings) should drop humanoid equipment/attire... if that is what their previous victims were wearing upon being engulfed/absorbed. Edited by Stun
  • Like 4