Chance for a Arcanumesque sequel to pillars?

I was thinking the other day about what Tom Sawyer had been saying in alot of interviews about Eternity. How he didn't want it to be stuck in a particular point in time. So i'm thinking wouldn't it be cool if Eternity becomes succesful enough, that a sequel could take place maybe 100-300 years later and have societies that you know and love perish, grand temples and places you fondly remember dacyed and ruined nad your exploits but a mere memory. 

Also i happen to get this on my head because i just started playing Arcanum again ;)

Edited by gamerdude130

It would, indeed, be pretty great, as long as they could tie it into the events of the original. I'm not fond of "sequels" in which there's hardly any connection between the stories except for "this is technically set in the same world."

But, yeah, it'd definitely be nice to see the setting of PoE2 advance time a good bit.

Makes me think of the Mistborn Trilogy. It was mostly "medieval" style weapons and arms and such. And it's pretty much all about people who can manipulate metals (Allomancy), amongst other things. Then, there was a followup book, the setting of which involved earlier firearms. I haven't read it yet, but it's interesting to think about just the impact of the advancement of time on the ability to manipulate metal. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm not sure how that would work out. PoE will likely have a very different tone from Arcanum (which always seemed to me like a semi-satirical take on fantasy tropes).

I'm also not sure how it would work but i think it's a thought worth pondering.

Edited by gamerdude130

I don't know. It seems unlikely. It doesn't make sense for PoE's world to suddenly turn into steampunk, because the scientific research is actually more focused on magic and its possibilities. And unlike Arcanum, PoE has no problem with mixing technology and magic, so even if we do see advanced technology, it will be most likely fueled by magic in some way, and the end result won't look like steampunk but like very high fantasy stuff.

I hope you understand my point - in a world where magic is prevalent and important, we can't assume that technology will become as important as it is in our own world. Heck, we might even see a decline in technology as magical research develops better and more effective means of killing somebody, powering something etc.

That's my guess at least. Who knows. Other than that, yeah it'd be great to see a new trilogy set in the same world but after some time has passed. I'm not sure if the game will be successful enough for that though, and whether Obsidian is interested in turning it into a large franchise.

The original Kickstarter pitch stated that you will be able to export your created PC in future installments so unless there is an in-game Project Eternity that deals specifically with eternal life for your character, I don't think advancing the timeline a few hundred years will mesh very well with their stated intentions.

But, it would be pretty cool to see a steampunk version of the gameworld in a spinoff of some sorts.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'd like PoE2 to extend the main story (assuming that doesn't end in such a way as to wrap everything up) so we can explore the character more.

But I'd also love a different story set in the same world, 200 years later (dealing with some fallout from the earlier games - e.g. due to certain animancy experiments / faction victories, the Orlans rose to be a dominant empire, enslaving humans...or something more coherent :p )

Edit: It needn't be steampunk in style - just think about the natural progression of societies and tech/magi-tech based on the world they created ... with airships, naturally.

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Make it a spinoff set in the same universe, but later, and I'm so in. Sequel... no thanks, because I'd like to see sequels still set in the same era, and it would mess with the continuity.

Even better, make one that incorporates time-travel so we can explore change even more.

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Eh I can see the appeal and how it could be a neat idea but I would rather not.  Skipping ahead hundreds of years for the sequel rarely works that well, especially if you are keeping the same character which seems to be implied.  No matter what happens in this game the connection to past events would be tenuous at best no matter how you slice it.  For example in the US the Revolutionary War was obviously a huge thing.  It started in 1775... roughly 239 years ago.  It is still taught in schools and we take it seriously, it obviously helped mold the world of today what with America being a super power.  But nothing happening today actually directly ties to it as an event, no big news happening now is concretely related. 

When an event that huge still only has tenuous ties to the here and now I can't imagine anything the PC and friends will get up to at a mid level adventure could possibly have more influence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura#Sequel

Doesn't Sierra own the IP or did Troika have ownership of it?

Neither. Sierra did, but they folded. Their IP's, including Arcanum have been now for a long time at Activision.

The problem with not calling it Arcanum II is that no one except some forum goers will really know it's sequel, and if Obsidian calls it a "spiritual" sequel Activision will likely take action.

Eh I can see the appeal and how it could be a neat idea but I would rather not.  Skipping ahead hundreds of years for the sequel rarely works that well, especially if you are keeping the same character which seems to be implied.  No matter what happens in this game the connection to past events would be tenuous at best no matter how you slice it.  For example in the US the Revolutionary War was obviously a huge thing.  It started in 1775... roughly 239 years ago.  It is still taught in schools and we take it seriously, it obviously helped mold the world of today what with America being a super power.  But nothing happening today actually directly ties to it as an event, no big news happening now is concretely related. 

When an event that huge still only has tenuous ties to the here and now I can't imagine anything the PC and friends will get up to at a mid level adventure could possibly have more influence.

That's why I'd prefer a separate game for this.  Kinda like how IWD and IWD2 were separate games.

I'd want a PoE 2 continuing the first character's story in the 'now' and then, assuming that gets wrapped up and we're not going to do an 'epic level' PoE 3, we can have a subsequent game set 2-300 years later.  This game needn't deal with a continuation of the original story, but it could have a natural progression of the events leading to the world being in the state it is. (with a new threat (local or global) for a new PC to deal with).

(With multiple endings for PoE in, it may be necessary to pick a 'canon' ending (which may annoy many people) or go with a future that happened anyway, regardless of which ending you preferred ... without stating as such ;) )

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I'd like it if they set a game in Pillars of Eternities far past. That would give us a first hand account of the mythological basis that Pillars is based on and a look at some extinct cultures and civilizations.

• Like 4

I was thinking the other day about what Tom Sawyer had been saying in alot of interviews about Eternity. How he didn't want it to be stuck in a particular point in time. So i'm thinking wouldn't it be cool if Eternity becomes succesful enough, that a sequel could take place maybe 100-300 years later and have societies that you know and love perish, grand temples and places you fondly remember dacyed and ruined nad your exploits but a mere memory. 

Also i happen to get this on my head because i just started playing Arcanum again ;)

Never knew Tom Sawyer was in an interview with poe as the topic. Mark Twain must have been a prophet.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.