Next Obsidian Kickstarter

Dagon

C'mon already, Obsidian! We know that you are about to make a huge Pathfinder CRPG, but more 3D style, with one main player character and great companions to pick from (please no more than three). We also know that it has a combat system that would fit a decently open world perfectly, not to mention all the character building goodies that would come from it. Finally, we know that it will include a brilliant toolset (free to use, not that 30 days Unity nonsense). Just reveal the Kickstarter now, and let me drop a big sack of cash on your doorstep. :teehee:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I also would really like to see a Tim Cain game. IMO he's the most diverse and imaginative designer in the entire cRPG industry, who is well-read in fantasy, sci-fi, and all kinds of different systems. He developed a good taste and a penchant for weird. strange, original and engaging settings/stories. For example, in this GDC presentation about the making of Fallout, he explains that the Brotherhood of Steel was inspired by a sci-fi classic, A Canticle for Leibowitz, the combat was heavily influenced by X-Com, the moral choices by Ultima, and so on.

Edited by Endrosz
  • Like 4

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I think Obsidian need to deliver a bug free POE before another kickstarter as at the moment there are quite a few unhappy people with the state of the backer beta and think this would really affect future kickstarters, but if they release a great game then they could hit even higher numbers than POE.

Edited by axan22

It's predictable that there will be some diehard grumblers trying to stir the pot of discontent at this stage of the PoE release cycle. There's very few (if any) games released that don't displease somebody or other.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I want them to turn Fatal into a game using PE's engine.

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

I think Obsidian need to deliver a bug free POE before another kickstarter

bug free games don't exist. it's the impact bugs have on the player's experience that make or break a game. I can live with a buggy game if the bugs aren't game breaking and frustrate me while playing the game.

I just think Kickstarter has run its course. Obsidian's next project should be self-funded until the point they can get on Steam's Early Access, if a game by Obsidian pops up on Early Access, I will most definitely buy it. Kickstarter projects I don't trust with my money at all. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If PoE sells well Obsidian may not need another Kickstarter.  What I would like in a new game would be a SciFi with RPG, RTS  and a slight touch of simulation in it.  Where you explore the universe meeting aliens, some friendly, some hostile and some neutral.  You would need to use strategy to decide how to handle each faction you meet gaining points for what you do.  Actions would have consequences.  You would have a home planet that would evolve as you gain points.  You would not actually build the city that would be based on the point system.  You might even expand to other planets.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I think Obsidian need to deliver a bug free POE before another kickstarter as at the moment there are quite a few unhappy people with the state of the backer beta and think this would really affect future kickstarters, but if they release a great game then they could hit even higher numbers than POE.

Bug free

RRnhhqW.gif

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have it from a reputable source that not only will PoE have bugs, but Obsidian is fully aware of it and has no plans to remove them!

I think if they removed those bugs, Sensuki would be pretty pissed.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

Josh talks about historical based games. Being a history enthusiast myself, I would love this type of game - whether set in the European Middle Ages in a Darklands setting, or in the Levant prior to the fall of Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem; the Reconquista; the Sengoku Jidai; Wuxia/Qing Dynasty China; or set during the Fall of the Roman Empire.

• Like 5

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I personally think that the most likely candidate for the next Obsidian KS will be an original IP, but it will be a spiritual successor to the KOTOR series (particularly KOTOR 2) in the same way that PE is a successor to the BG games.

That way they will be able to capitalise on existing fans whilst still retaining control of the IP and be able to stretch their creative legs.

KOTOR fans have been salivating for a new game for a while now, and I doubt Obsidian have been deaf to the multitude of posts clamoring for a new KOTOR every time they've put out a statement of any kind.

Feargus was quite wistful about the possibility of a new Star Wars RPG in this interview.

"I always thought - and everyone just looks at me strangely when I say this - it would be cool to do a Star Wars Pillars of Eternity-style game, where you had a little party, a droid and a... whatever. That would be super-cool. I'd buy it!

He seems to be mulling over the idea of an isometric Star Wars game with 2D backgrounds ala the Infinity Engine games, which would be substantially cheaper to produce than something with kotor's production values.

It would also be easier to make as they already have the tools to make it with the tools they've created during the production of Pillars of Eternity.

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 2

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I don't see any chance that a Star Wars story game is outsourced again. That was a special occasion, and we should be grateful for it But it's not the norm.

I'd prefer a new IP from Obsidian. There are so many untapped ideas/settings...

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

A far future fantasy game would be neat. Elves, dwarves, magic, etc, in a Star Trek-esque world.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Feargus was quite wistful about the possibility of a new Star Wars RPG in this interview.

"I always thought - and everyone just looks at me strangely when I say this - it would be cool to do a Star Wars Pillars of Eternity-style game, where you had a little party, a droid and a... whatever. That would be super-cool. I'd buy it!

He seems to be mulling over the idea of an isometric Star Wars game with 2D backgrounds ala the Infinity Engine games, which would be substantially cheaper to produce than something with kotor's production values.

It would also be easier to make as they already have the tools to make it with the tools they've created during the production of Pillars of Eternity.

It doesn't have to be Star Wars, per se. They could, for example, do a reboot of Star Frontiers.  That would give them a space opera setting that they could adapt to the PoE engine.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

^Sounds kinda Shadowrun-esque.

Id love to see the Riftwar Sage made into a game.

Kinda, but further future, and lighter toned. Make it more about exploration and such.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...